Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time CWP

(Cambria County)

Default First time CWP

Hello all

Yea im new here, but i have a question about a firearm, Im looking for a Good, not to high priced Handgun to get a weapons permit with. My good friend i knew for years has gave me a nice offer on a nice but really old revolver, 38.cal, The gun was made ( i believe ) around the 60's or 70's, but is in great condition and and very dependable. The Firearm was purchased leagily long ago, but it has never been registered due to the fact that at the time, it didnt have to be. The gun is a hand-me-down from his grandfather,(who is still alive) but i need to know if i can get the gun transfered into my name so i can get a CWP. from what i was reading on here it seems it shouldent be a problem and about 25 bucks. How would i go about getting the firearm purchased and everything through a dealer, Right now i work for him and ill prob get the gun from just working for a day or 2. The gun itself was only about 100 bucks new so the price for it is going to be low and ill save and hell actually make out for it with a day or two of work rather than cash. Would this be listed under Gift? Well thank you for you time

(Venango County)

Default Re: First time CWP

I'll let the others chime in about the transfer......
    as for the LTCF you don't need to already have a gun to get your permit. just go to your local sheriff's office and sign up.....depending on the office, and assuming you pass their background check, it will take from 15 mins, to 45 days... like I said the others will chime in with the legalities of the transfer

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Fayette County)

It's a LTCF (License To Carry Firearms) not a CWP. I quickly learned you will get jumped on here for calling it that, lol.

There is no gun registry in PA so that fact that it wasn't registered should be a non issue. Transfer will range between $20-40. I paid $25 recently outside of Uniontown.

I got my LTCF from the Fayette County Sheriff completely through the mail, I never went into the office. I mailed it in on a Friday and the next Wednesday it was back for me to sign and send back so it could be reduced and laminated.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Delaware County)

Firstly, WELCOME to the site and to the firearms community.

I think that the previous posters already correctly answered all of your questions.

I wanted to add a comment about the revolver. As long as it was in fact manufactured in the 60's or 70's by a reputable manufacturer you would probably have a nice revolver. You can probably learn some details about the date of manufacturer and original configuration by going to the companies web site and looking up the serial number of the revolver.

In your e-mail you stated .38cal. I am assuming that it is actually a .38 special but you should NOT assume anything. Make darn sure that the revolver actually states .38 spc or .38 Special on the barrel. Again, the serial number search on the manufacturer's web site would tell you what for which caliber the revolver was originally manufactured.

IMO it would be a good idea to have a gunsmith or a knowledgeable person check over the handgun just to make sure that it is safe and good to shot. If it gets a thumbs up then it would be a good starter handgun. You need to get a bunch of time at the shooting range with your "new" handgun. You can always start saving for another good used handgun. You can save a lot of money purchasing a used handgun. As long as the previous owner did not abuse it and it was a quality handgun to start with they are just a good as a new handgun. Some might argue better in some respects because the trigger will tend to be smother on the used handgun.

Come back and let us know how things are going for you.

Welcome and Be Safe.
    Last edited by shermdo; November 9th, 2007 at 12:26 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the the site.

Here in Pa we don't have to register our guns.

Handguns sales do need to go through a Federal Firearms License (FFL) holder when the sale is between friends.

Rifles don't need to go thru an FFL.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Cambria County)

Talking Re: First time CWP

Well thank you all for you quick responces =)

But, now ive come to the problem of this, He wants $150 bucks for the gun, the condition of the gun is like new and has only been fired maybe 30 times. it would be a good buy but the auto i was looking at is a nice new Ploy Hi-point 9mm and its only 160 bucks strate from the store. Ive hear the old hi-points are total crap and i know this to be true, but the New ones were redesined and much better ( i heard ) can anyone maybe tell me if the Hi-Point is worth getting? i dont want jams or anything out of it, Ide get a better 300 dollar S&W or something but money is really a bad thing right now and my area is really going downhill, Ive read that if you think your life is worth $160 bucks get that gun, BUT im thinking that My life must be worth Nothing with no gun at all. Second i dislike that statement because if your life is only worth even $900 just shoot yourself with the gun , ive hear good good things about the new Hi-points can anyone help me out ? Im sure even if the Hi-point is kinda cheep, there has to be a certain ammo it works really good with. Thank you all =)

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    as for the LTCF you don't need to already have a gun to get your permit. just go to your local sheriff's office and sign up...

Nice thank you so much =)

Pending the type of gun your friend is offering, $150 may not be much, consider the workmanship on S&W and many other guns was better 15 to 20 years ago then it is today. Without a description and make of the gun, it is hard to qualify, but you can look up new prices and it may help you take a decision.
    For the LTCF, you don’t actually need a gun anymore then you need a car to get a drivers permit.
    Re: Permit vs. License, I looked up the terminology, and like many words in the “American” language, it is a confused word, meaning here in the US, Permit and license is the same thing. By any other country’s description, a license is some thing you study for and need to keep studying to keep, where as a permit is some thing that “Permits” you to perform an activity.
    Pilots, Lawyers, Doctors, all have licenses, Race drivers have Licenses, regular drivers have permits, certain truck drivers have licenses.

By definition, a license is a document you need to have when you have acquired and continue to study to maintain knowledge that allows you to perform duties and gain monies from that duty.
    A permit is some thing handed down by your peers stating you are permitted to perform or have acquired the basic knowledge to allow you to perform certain things with out personal gain.
    In fact, PA states it as a “License” To Carry Firearms, but by description it is a permit, not a license. In order to gain a salary from carrying a firearm in PA you have to have an Act 235 and this is a license.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Pike County)

Welcome to the the site

(Delaware County)

I agree with Frenchy - it is hard to be more specific until you share with use exactly what the handgun is that you friend is offering for sale. In short though, IMO, if it is a S&W or Ruger and in like new condition for $150 then BUY it ASAP. Forget the HighPoint for $160.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast