Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag or 45 ?

(Luzerne County)

Default 44 mag or 45 ?

I'm thinking of one of these in a revolver. Which is better for SD and as a trail gun?

Default Re: 44 mag or 45 ?

which 45 ??? 45 ACP or 45 Colt

You could get a Ruger Alaskan chambered in .454 Caskull and can shoot 45 Colt for SD and at the range. Then .454 for on the trial
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Both 44 mag, and 45 colt are more than enough for anything in the woods in PA.

If you want to be able to buy ammo anywhere, get a 44.

If you want to reload your own ammo, buy a 45 colt. If you want to load hot 45 colt, get a ruger blackhawk. 250 grains around 1000fps will do the job on a black bear.

In guns capable of handling them, 250 grain cast bullets around 1400 fps will go through an elk, longways.

44 mag is a bit much for SD, as is hot loaded 45 colt.

All depends on what you want out of the gun
    Last edited by Lucas; October 13th, 2010 at 05:43 PM.

In my experience factory .45 Colt ammo is even more expensive than .44 mag and less available. I wouldn't go .45 Colt unless I planned on reloading. Even then, the .44mag can do everything a .45 Colt can do and much more.

A 3" .44mag with .44 special loads is very versatile and the recoil is sedate.

(Montgomery County)

Let's put it this way. A 4" 44 Mag with 44 specials as an SD load will work very well. Low recoil with the 44 special (and one of the most under-rated very accurate loadings that there is). Then use mid-range 44 Mag if walking somewhere where you can be eaten.

Since you cannot out-run the bear, you will be able to fire the second shot with a mid range load as the first will probably miss. Too much recoil with the full load in a 4" to hit the first time, and the second will be very close, probably before you can bring your arm down from the recoil. Then you might be "arming bears rather than bearing arms". Dave_n

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    Let's put it this way. A 4" 44 Mag with 44 specials as an SD load will work very well. Low recoil with the 44 special (and one of the most under-rated very accurate loadings that there is). Then use mid-range 44 Mag if walking somewhere where you can be eaten.

Since you cannot out-run the bear, you will be able to fire the second shot with a mid range load as the first will probably miss. Too much recoil with the full load in a 4" to hit the first time, and the second will be very close, probably before you can bring your arm down from the recoil. Then you might be "arming bears rather than bearing arms". Dave_n
    +^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with almost all of what Dave is saying. A Model 29 loaded with good .44 special ammunition is a tack driver in my experience (I have a couple of Model 29s). The hotter magnum rounds should do the trick for any 4-legged encounters. One warning, if you're tooling around in bear country, you're likely better off with bear spray than trying to fumble out a hand gun of any kind. We have a house next to a state park. During early spring and late fall when we're up there, I carry a 9 oz can of Counter Assault when I'm walking the dog. Too many dwellings to rely on carry gun, and more likely to deter attack with the spray.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

If its windy how does that Bear spray work?

I keep hearing the recommendations for bear spray and it is valid however I feel I could draw a handgun more quickly than fumbling with bear spray.

(Luzerne County)

Why not carry both!

(Lebanon County)

if you reload, the 44 is way more versatile.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    Why not carry both!
    You could.

For me I have enough shit to carry on me. Plus this is PA not AK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast