Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default .308 or 30-06 for Deer and accuracy

I've been researching this issue for some time now and I just thought i'd post this out for the professional's here in this forum to throw there advice in this debate on which caliber to go with?? The .308 or the 30-06..my main concern is accuracy! I'll be using this for hunting deer, black bear and maybe elk. Need some advice!

thanks,
    Warren
    Ron Paul for President! Save our US Constitution! Stop UN Control ~~

(Venango County)

Default Re: .308 or 30-06 for Deer and accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by warren40cal View Post
    I've been researching this issue for some time now and I just thought i'd post this out for the professional's here in this forum to throw there advice in this debate on which caliber to go with?? The .308 or the 30-06..my main concern is accuracy! I'll be using this for hunting deer, black bear and maybe elk. Need some advice!

thanks,
    Warren
    Technically...they're the same, they both use a .30 caliber bullet, just the 06 is faster had a little more recoil, and seems to be more popular....either is a fine choice, you can't go wrong

BTW my .300 Win Mag is the same too....just faster, louder, and has a harsher kick yet

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    Technically...they're the same, they both use a .30 caliber bullet, just the 06 is faster had a little more recoil, and seems to be more popular....either is a fine choice, you can't go wrong

BTW my .300 Win Mag is the same too....just faster, louder, and has a harsher kick yet
    yeah, i'm thinking of settling with the most popular 06 since the shells would be more readily available or cheaper.
    Ron Paul for President! Save our US Constitution! Stop UN Control ~~

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by warren40cal View Post
    yeah, i'm thinking of settling with the most popular 06 since the shells would be more readily available or cheaper.
    can't go wrong with an 06, there's quite a few different factory loads available

and if you reload you can load down for chucks, or load up for bigger stronger game

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Some might say the 308 has the edge in accuracy due in part to the short action of the gun and a shorter column of powder , however the 3006 has all the accuracy you will be needing and then some. Since you said "elk" I will give the nod to the 3006 since you will be able to toss heavier bullets with better results from the 06 , if you choose to do so , I am not saying the 308 won't kill an elk because it certainly will but the 06 can be used more in a pinch for much larger game if need be with somewhat better results

(Jefferson County)

Accuracy is more rifle and scope/sights quality, shooter ability, and matching the proper bullet to the rifling twist rate and velocity.. ....the casing stops touching the bullet the moment it is fired - thus it has little to no bearing on accuracy. The casing's main function is to act as a gasket to keep the chamber sealed.

Fate itself has more bearing on accuracy than any casing does after the bullet has launched from it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Accuracy is more rifle and scope/sights quality, shooter ability, and matching the proper bullet to the rifling twist rate and velocity.. ....the casing stops touching the bullet the moment it is fired - thus it has little to no bearing on accuracy. The casing's main function is to act as a gasket to keep the chamber sealed.

Fate itself has more bearing on accuracy than any casing does after the bullet has launched from it.
    My thoughts exactly, accuracy is in the shooter and time with the rifle on the range. Don't think taking the rifle out at deer season and think it's accurate after being in a closet all year is good. You need to spend time at the range to know how it shoots with different loads and for you to feel the rifle too.

(Berks County)

For your type of hunting, I'd go with the '06, simply because there is a huge variety of factory loaded ammo available. Bullet weights for anything from groundhogs up, ammo is available nearly everywhere, and there are millions of rifles of every type chambered for it.
    Actually, both are a little heavy for deer, but for bigger critters the .30-06 gives you more flexibility.
    The accuracy advantage of the .308 is pretty much meaningless in a hunting situation...it is just not that different.

Good luck.

Mark
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

(Lawrence County)

Well, that's mostly true, but casing shape/size does have an impact on how efficient the powder burn is and that does help accuracy due to consistent velocity readings.

That's one reason why the 6PPC is so popular in accuracy events.

Any cartridge can be made to be accurate, but overall, it's easier to make an efficient case design shoot tighter.

Out to 200 yards, I think it's moot.

Lycanbutitallmattersthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Well that simply is not true , as any benchrest and/or long range varmiter will tell you. Case set up plays a rule in accuracy most certainly , it can hardly be made good use of in typical big game hunting but none the less............

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast