Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Heating Oil Repairman Slain On Job

Heating Oil Repairman Slain On Job
    Police Interview 2 Persons Of Interest

POSTED: 8:54 am EST November 8, 2007
    UPDATED: 6:52 pm EST November 8, 2007
    [NEWSVINE: Heating Oil Repairman Slain On Job] [DELICIOUS: Heating Oil Repairman Slain On Job] [DIGG: Heating Oil Repairman Slain On Job] [FACEBOOK: Heating Oil Repairman Slain On Job] [REDDIT: Heating Oil Repairman Slain On Job] [RSS] [PRINT: Heating Oil Repairman Slain On Job] [EMAIL: Heating Oil Repairman Slain On Job]
    A heating oil repairman was fatally shot while on the job at a Philadelphia apartment building Wednesday night.

Police said Carl Tomberlain, 42, was shot in the head near Cleveland and Norris streets just before 6 p.m. Wednesday. The Petro heating oil repairman was making a service call in the 2000 block of Cleveland.

View Images

Tomberlain died at Temple University Hospital a short time later.

Detectives said they are keeping an eye on two persons of interest. Police said they're not sure of the motive because Tomberlain's wallet was left inside his Petro truck.

Investigators said they initially believed the shooting occurred during an attempted robbery, but they later said that may not be the case.

On Thursday, Tomberlain's grief-stricken family said he was a hard worker and loved helping people.

"He was a good guy, always there to help," Tomberlain's mother, Phyllis Tomberlain, said.

Phyllis Tomberlain cries when talking about the death of her firstborn son.

"He went down, I think they were two college students, they weren't home. He left a note on the door. He said he was in a bad neighborhood, but he said they need heat too. And this is what happened," Phyllis Tomberlain said.

Ashley Mabrey said she wasn't at her North Philly home when Tomberlain came to service her heating system. The Temple University student said when she arrived home she saw the homicide scene.

"It's a tragedy. It speaks to a larger issue with crime and violence," Mabrey said.

Tomberlain's family said the father of two girls was working overtime to save money for holiday shopping.

His family said he graduated from Abraham Lincoln High School and picked up his mechanical skills from an uncle. He had worked for Petro for about a year.

"He loved pets, loved his family. He'd do anything for anybody. If you called him at two in the morning, he would come and help you out," Kathy Lombardi, Tomberlain's mother-in-law, said.

Detectives said they've worked nonstop on the case. Police have interviewed two persons of interest and took evidence to the forensic lab. No weapon was recovered from the scene, police said.

"My brother is in a better place, but my nieces are without a father, his wife without a husband," Winona Miller, Tomberlain's sister, said.

"It's just not right. The senseless killing in the city has got to stop. There is no reason for it," Robert Miller, Tomberlain's brother-in-law, said.

A statement released by the Petro Oil Company read, "The entire Petro organization mourns the tragic loss of valued employee, Carl Tomberlain. Our thoughts and prayers are with his loving wife, two children and extended family."

Police are asking anyone with information to call homicide detectives.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in the HVAC business, stopped working these areas years ago. This guy is from my old neighborood, the company he worked for is 2 miles from my business.

What a freeking shame.........damn

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Heating Oil Repairman Slain On Job

Another reason why I don't miss Philly. Sad just too sad the lack of regard for life
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Montgomery County)

thats sad to hear. i hope they find the bastards that did it and string em' up by there toes.

(Fayette County)

I have to say I never realized Philly was as full of crime as it is until I joined here. It seems every day a new thread is posted about a killing in Philly.

My condolences to his family and friends and I hope they catch the person or people involved.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Berks County)

Unhappy Re: Heating Oil Repairman Slain On Job

They have to do something in Philly. I don't know if Nutter's stop and frisk policy will work or if it's even constitutional, but something has to be done. It has to start with family values, we can't have kids raising kids or the streets raising kids or addicts etc. What the hell has happened to society?
    My thoughts and prayers are with all of the families who are victims in this hateful world.

(Berks County)

It's such a crying shame when someone is killed this way. I will keep him and his family in my prayers. . .

rand

(Philadelphia County)

This is such a shame that there are no words. Prayers go out to his family, and for rest for him. I wish this story had ended with " The repairman was an LTCF holder, and shot his assailants, and went home to his family".

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

im speechless....for now.

Tomberlain's family said the father of two girls was working overtime to save money for holiday shopping.

God be with him. Its so horrible such a nice guy was killed for no reason. A husband, a father, a very good and kind one it seems. I really hope those responsible rot in hell.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by 72Duster View Post
    They have to do something in Philly. I don't know if Nutter's stop and frisk policy will work or if it's even constitutional, but something has to be done. It has to start with family values, we can't have kids raising kids or the streets raising kids or addicts etc. What the hell has happened to society?
    My thoughts and prayers are with all of the families who are victims in this hateful world.
    No, No, NO!!!! stop letting the people who do things like this out of prison!!!

There's just not a big enough deterrent.....we don't other laws, just better justice!

I agree it all starts at home, I like to think my son knows better..........

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast