Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default cnbc launches attack

not sure if this is already being discussed, searched and came up negative.

on OCT 20, CNBC, which usually attacks crooked ceos and brokers, is setting its sights on our beloved remington, no pun intended.

this documentry, from what i understand now, is targeting remington 700's for "firing without the trigger being pulled".

my first response was a laugh saying "silly liberals dont know jack"....but the commercialls are increasing, making me feel not as light hearted.

ive never had a problem with a 700, i think its a great rifle, i dont know where the people in this documentry are coming from, but then again it is election season, and it is a pet peacock subsidiary.

i learned from a young age that EVERY GUN IS LOADED, and DONT POINT AT ANYTHING YOU DONT WANNA DESTROY! we all know that "accidents" happen, and they shouldnt, but this is life, shit happens.

the thing that got me thinkin hard on this was a radio ad today, from the NRA, reminding americans that we are one justice away from possibly loosing our beloved right!
    Last edited by mmcallister; October 12th, 2010 at 09:45 AM.
    Lifes hard, its even harder when your stupid - John Wayne.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: cnbc launches attack

You know, it wouldn't hurt to find out about the issue before concluding the bleeping liberals are spreading more of their ignorant propaganda. For me, just in case the multinational corporation that makes firearms is cutting corners when it comes to safety -- heaven forbid that would ever happen -- I would like to know about it, and will keep an open mind till see the show and judge for myself.

A simple Google search for 'Remington 700 accidental discharge' turned up 955 hits, one of which lists several recalls of various Remington rifles, including the 700, for what the company artfully described as: "

... "RECALL: The Remington Arms Company, Inc. announced today that under certain unusual circumstances on some of its centerfire bolt-action rifles, the safety selector and trigger could be manipulated in such a way that subsequently moving the selector to the fire position could result in accidental discharge."
    http://firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%204.htm

Now, finding it on the internet doesn't necessarily make it true, but I would like to view the story and then make up my own mind. Firearm owners have rights, but we also have responsibilities, one of which would be to hold manufacturers' feet to the fire if there is a safety problem -- even if we find out about it from a liberal.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki72 View Post
    You know, it wouldn't hurt to find out about the issue before concluding the bleeping liberals are spreading more of their ignorant propaganda. For me, just in case the multinational corporation that makes firearms is cutting corners when it comes to safety -- heaven forbid that would ever happen -- I would like to know about it, and will keep an open mind till see the show and judge for myself.

A simple Google search for 'Remington 700 accidental discharge' turned up 955 hits, one of which lists several recalls of various Remington rifles, including the 700, for what the company artfully described as: "

... "RECALL: The Remington Arms Company, Inc. announced today that under certain unusual circumstances on some of its centerfire bolt-action rifles, the safety selector and trigger could be manipulated in such a way that subsequently moving the selector to the fire position could result in accidental discharge."
    http://firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%204.htm

Now, finding it on the internet doesn't necessarily make it true, but I would like to view the story and then make up my own mind. Firearm owners have rights, but we also have responsibilities, one of which would be to hold manufacturers' feet to the fire if there is a safety problem -- even if we find out about it from a liberal.
    How much of the documentary will be informational and how much will be anti gun garbage? Let's go with 8% and 92% respectively.

Do you REALLY think nbc is doing this to protect gun owners? It's just a catalyst to spout their typical anti-gun bullshit. I'll check it out, but I won't be suprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Berks County)

Well, part of the problem is that apparently there was a leaked internal memo that suggests Remington decided that 1% of the 700's might have a flaw. Something to do with an inadequate clearance.

The problem being that at the time of the memo (1979 I believe) there were 2,000,000 Model 700. So, 1% represents about 20,000 defective model 700 that can have a discharge when moving the safety to the fire position without having the trigger pulled.

So, granted. Proper firearm safety says the muzzle shouldn't be pointed at anything you don't intend to shoot...

But... accidently shooting your son when there is a 'known defect' gets a lot of anti-corporation traction.

See:

2001 CBS Story

&

The memo

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki72 View Post
    You know, it wouldn't hurt to find out about the issue before concluding the bleeping liberals are spreading more of their ignorant propaganda.
    I suppose when I wake up I COULD look towards the west and see if the sun came up on that side of the sky in the morning just once for a change.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Delaware County)

No one watches this channel anyway!!

NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mmcallister View Post
    ...the thing that got me thinkin hard on this was a radio ad today, from the NRA, reminding americans that we are one justice away from possibly loosing our beloved right!
    Hahhhhhaha!

That's very true, but the NRA should have thought about that a lot sooner.

(Montgomery County)

It happened to me once with my old Remington 700P. Was at the range, chambered a round, flicked the safety switch, BANG. I'm not sure if it was caused by a defect or the fact that my trigger pull was adjusted too loose, because after tightening it up a bit, I couldn't replicate the problem ever again. My guess is it was the latter.

Proud member of:

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    How much of the documentary will be informational and how much will be anti gun garbage? Let's go with 8% and 92% respectively.

Do you REALLY think nbc is doing this to protect gun owners? It's just a catalyst to spout their typical anti-gun bullshit. I'll check it out, but I won't be suprised.
    +/- 8%............going with the +8% on the garbage side
    Lifes hard, its even harder when your stupid - John Wayne.

(Centre County)

Not trying to flame anyone or get anyone riled up...

According to my wife, here is what was on NBC nightly news this evening.
    Regardless of what motivates the reporters, if the item is defective or malfunctions in a way that makes it unsafe, the manufacturer should correct the defect. Yes, this is why we always point a firearm in a safe direction, but still, (opinion follows) I don't really desire to have an inadvertant or unplanned discharge of any weapon, no matter where I am safely pointing it.

The MSNBC special is to air tonight (20 October 2010) at 9:00 PM Eastern Time.
    I will try to watch it before I comment on it.

This is also being discussed in a different PAFOA thread:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/114...ml#post1373440

(Don't know if the two threads could be combined...or how to do that.)

That's how I see it. YMMV. Other opinions are always welcome.
    Last edited by thomae; October 20th, 2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Added information on the MSNBC show time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast