Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 mags

(Blair County)

Default .357 mags

I am looking for a good .357 mag. Something in the 6-8 inch barrel range. I've never hunted, but I was considering getting one of these and giving it a try.

I didn't want to spend 6-700 on one. I was looking at the Taurus 608ss8. I also like some of the Smith and Wessons.

My question would be, has anyone compared the Taurus, Smith and Wesson, and Ruger .357's recently? And, am I overlooking any other pistols?

I already have a glock 19 to carry. This would just be a "fun gun".

Thanks in advance.

(Chester County)

Default Re: .357 mags

A good S&W 686 with a 6" barrel can be had for about $400, used.

A Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel, again used, can be had for $50-75 less. You could also try any one of the numerous Ruger single action .357s -- they're even cheaper.

They're both great guns -- though I prefer the S&W, simply for it's out of the box trigger pull. If you're going to have the trigger worked, though, the Ruger is a viable choice because it is built even more like a tank (the S&W is overbuilt, the Ruger even moreso).

Skip the Taurus.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Berks County)

I'm not sure that I'd use a .357 for hunting but different strokes for different folks. I've got a 4" 686 that I couldn't be happier with. Best revolver I've ever owned. My father prefers to shoot it over any of my other handguns including my .22 revolver.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Delaware County)

If I were to decide to get into handgun hunting and had decided on using a .357 mag I would favor the Ruger GP-100 or Blackhawk. The Ruger handguns are very over built and are very capable of using the hotter .357 mag ammo that is available such as that from Buffalo Bore. Personally, I would definitely use these or something similar to hunt deer IF I were to use a .357mag. With hot loads I do believe that a .357 is more than capable of doing the job. As with any hunting you need to PRACTICE and know your range and do not exceed that range for a game shot.

Good luck and have fun.

At one time danny wesson made some good guns , if you are looking for other options other than the big 2 you named

(Blair County)

This is all good feedback. Particularly the hotter loads.

Is there something wrong with the Taurus? Or just that its not as durable as the Smith & Wessons and Rugers?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing for the Taurus or anything. Just looking for info to make a good decision. When I say I went with the Ruger over the Taurus I want to be able to give solid reasons as to why.

Thanks again.

Oh and the reason for the hunting with a .357, I have a friend that's been hunting for a while and in the past 3 years he's switched to this. He swears that its 10 times better.

I just read you never hunted , so why starting with a handgun?
    And your friend says it is 10 times better ........ better than a rock? sure it is , better than a rifle? no
    I don't get into bashing taurus , they got their troubles and so do $1000.00 kimbers but none the less , when i think humting handgun , I think many practice rds and heavy rds that I will use , esp in the 357 when too much power isn't a problem , so anyhow because I shoot many heavy loafds in my hunting handguns , that rules out taurus , taurus is a good gun , carry some on my LTCF but for many heavy loads "which I believe a hunting gun should be fireing on non hunting days" I think that smith and ruger will hold up longer ......... you just want to hunt with it a yr or 2 , sure taurus will fill the bill
    You want to get real good with it and hunt alot with it for along time , personally I'd get the smith of ruger
    And despite me non bashing taurus , and the fact I do carry and use them , I know that they are NOT as well built , plain and simple

(Butler County)

I own a Dan Wesson 357 and a Ruger gp100.Both are very reliable and bult like brick shithouses! If I had to narrow it down I would do the Ruger.For me the price has always bin fair. And the quality is top notch.

(York County)

I especially like Ruger's WARRANTY.

I have actually been looking at the 608ss6. I personally like to looks of taurus revolvers alot. I have heard that they are very reliable, and have a lifetime guarantee. I doubt that shooting powerful loads with a taurus would have a detrimental effect, the company seems to like to produce large calibur weapons (The Raging Bull, for instance). As for accuracy, I have been told that Smith & Wesson revolvers are more accurate. I haven't heard much of an explanation why, however, and I wonder if this is simply S&W eliteism. Let me know what you end up going with. I think I am going to purchase the 608 as soon as I have the money. Either that or the Taurus 1911, I can't decide which.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast