Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New .45???

Default A New .45???

Okay so I don't quite have the money yet but will start putting some money away for a new .45. I shot one again recently and want to get one again.

I was thinking a Sig 220, 1911 or .45 revolver. What say you?

I love Sigs and have great experiences with them. I also really like the use of a de-cocker, but the major issue that keeps me from deciding Sig, are magazine prices. I don't want to be limited to 1-3 mags. $40 for an 8rd magazine is ridiculous.

Then the 1911, I like how it shoots and feel great. Mags can be had pretty cheap and I can personalize it eventually. The one thing is that I'm not a huge fan of manual safeties. I know it seems small but just never liked that type of safety.
    - I had an RIA that I ended up selling. It shot well but I think this time around I want to go forged frame. Maybe Springfield?

Or a .45 revolver. I've seen a few Smith and Wesson, I think they look nice but way too expensive. Are there any other options?

This is mainly going to be a range gun with no intent to carry it. However, reliability is still necessary.

So what do you guys think I should save for?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: A New .45???

Quote Originally Posted by ksig1869 View Post
    Okay so I don't quite have the money yet but will start putting some money away for a new .45. I shot one again recently and want to get one again.

I was thinking a Sig 220, 1911 or .45 revolver. What say you?

I love Sigs and have great experiences with them. I also really like the use of a de-cocker, but the major issue that keeps me from deciding Sig, are magazine prices. I don't want to be limited to 1-3 mags. $40 for an 8rd magazine is ridiculous.

Then the 1911, I like how it shoots and feel great. Mags can be had pretty cheap and I can personalize it eventually. The one thing is that I'm not a huge fan of manual safeties. I know it seems small but just never liked that type of safety.
    - I had an RIA that I ended up selling. It shot well but I think this time around I want to go forged frame. Maybe Springfield?

Or a .45 revolver. I've seen a few Smith and Wesson, I think they look nice but way too expensive. Are there any other options?

This is mainly going to be a range gun with no intent to carry it. However, reliability is still necessary.

So what do you guys think I should save for?

Ar there any other options?. Buy used.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Westmoreland County)

Used is a great idea. Have you thought about Glock?

The Sig 220 has repeatedly been called 'The Thinking Man's 1911' whatever that means. Most people who have them love them, myself included.

I couldn't tell you what I would choose between a 1911 or a P220. 1911 SAO triggers are usually better than the P220 SA trigger. That is certainly true of my Sig Sauer 1911 Stainless model. That trigger is the best out-of-the-box trigger I've ever had. Zero take-up, crisp clean break and very little overtravel.

Are you set on a metal frame? There are quite a few advantages to using Polymer.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Delaware County)

I'm a big fan of both the Sigs and 1911s. I would say try before you buy. No advice is as good as your shooting telling you the truth.

If you seem satisfactory with multiple choices it may be a good idea look further into carrying options such as holster designs comparing pricing and performance to settle a "tie breaker."

Good luck!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32148&dateline=128288  0834

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Ar there any other options?. Buy used.
    None that I can think of. I don't like XD's and want to stay away from Taurus.

I have shot M&Ps and Glocks. I like them but not a huge fan. The only Glock I really like and want is a G19. But I'd like to get a 45 next.

I've shot a 220, a couple 1911's but not a .45 revolver. The problem is I like both the 220 and 1911 but don't have the money to buy both at the same time. So I have to choose which one first?

(Bucks County)

I'd recommend looking at the new HK45 or HK45C.

That being said, an older model 220 or a Nighthawk 1911 would be guns I could get behind.

My HK45 shoots wonderfully, and it's ergonomically very comfortable.

I've heard the HK45C is even moreso, haven't gotten around to buying one yet.

I think that it is a law that you must own at least one Colt 1911 .45 acp. After that purchase you may try other makes.

Seriously for some reason the 1911 of choice in .45 seems to be a combination that works for me.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Allegheny County)

if the only thing holding you back from sigs are the cost of Mags, you can get great Sig Mags from www.TopgunSupply.com they will run you about $21.99 each.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lehigh County)

Check out CDNN. They have used 7 round mags for the P220 for $14.99.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/sig220457rdb.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast