Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Venango County)

Default Re: Another Upper Merion Encounter...mixed encounter

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha Java View Post
    Just curious, but what if the officer claims to have (or invents) RAS: can he detain you until you have been identified?
    What kind of RAS?

This guy just so happened to be appearing to be contemplating perhaps robbing a bank, maybe.

Can a LEO make a trumped up charge? Of course. There have been threads posted, articles written, and movies based on real life because of it. However, something like that holding up in court, is slim.

That is why whenever I OC, I have my recorder on me. It is to cover mine, and their asses.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jup06 View Post
    No. When I wrote the "extending a hand" bit, I meant it to be inline with the series of events I had listed. I did not mean trying to shake the hand of any cop that might approach you.

Not a patrol issue. When you piss your local cops off you can forget about being let off with a warning when it comes to motor vehicle violations.

The point being, don't make waves if you don't need to.
    meh..asserting your rights whether comfortable or uncomfortable is the just thing to do..the founding fathers KNEW that when they rose up for liberty that they'd have targets on their heads.

ps- most citations cops give out is extortion.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jup06 View Post
    If marinakorp was in a place where he/she did not reside, then I would have no problem with what he/she did.

Now if these are the same cops that would patrol marinakorp's neighborhood, I would have responded differently. There is little need to agitate your local police if you can help it. If anything, you can educate them in a polite manner, shake their hand and part ways with a positive feeling. Btw, putting your hand out to a cop really does a lot to their demeanor.

This may have some merit if in fact they are uneducated, and wish to learn. However, most cops, if not all, have been educated on OC, but don't wish to follow the law, and I speak from the experience of having the chief of police tell me "I know OC is legal, but I'm holding you in an investigatory detention until I find out if you're a felon or not." So much for educating him.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Indiana County)

"I know OC is legal, but I'm holding you in an investigatory detention until I find out if you're a felon or not."
    "And when all this is over with I'm going down to the local District Magistrate Judge and filing a private criminal complaint against you, charging you with official oppression. Oh, and a copy of the complaint will also go to the local newspaper and the elected official overseeing you."

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    What kind of RAS?

This guy just so happened to be appearing to be contemplating perhaps robbing a bank, maybe.

Can a LEO make a trumped up charge? Of course. There have been threads posted, articles written, and movies based on real life because of it. However, something like that holding up in court, is slim.

That is why whenever I OC, I have my recorder on me. It is to cover mine, and their asses.
    You really didn't answer my question:

Originally Posted by Mocha Java
    Just curious, but what if the officer claims to have (or invents) RAS: can he detain you until you have been identified?
    Does anyone know the answer?

(Montgomery County)

UMPD:Where do you live....

ME: Pennsylvania, My name is "marinakorp" ... I spelled slowly, clearly and using "M" as in Mary and "N" as in Nancy wherever appropriate.

UMPD: you gonna give me your birthdate?

ME: I have identified my self to you and have fulfilled my obligation, now if you don't mind, I would like to get back to enjoying my daughters company. as I gestured towards my daughter having her face painted only a few feet away.

UMPD: Turned and walked towards his cruiser in a huff... filling out paperwork, checking his SCMODS no doubt.
    This could apply to many of these OC posts. Do you think we'll eventually get to an era when cops realize PA law and don't react emotionally? (and perhaps accept OC when they see it?)

Or do you guys see an endless cycle of these types of reactions by LEOs? (an honest question)

(Franklin County)

I think determination of the part of OCers to stand their ground and not give any information that is not legally required will slowly prompt change.

The final outcome of two pending federal civil rights lawsuits may have some bearing on the situation as well, assuming things end favorably for the plaintiffs involved.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123