Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Accuracy on a 7mm Savage

I have a Savage 111 in 7mm Rem. mag. that I am having a hell of a time shooting. It is the package model that came with a Simons scope (since replaced with a Nikon Monarch). I think the model is fcxp3. It does not have the accu trigger, but it still list on the web page as a new model. I am not a poor shooter (cutting holes with my 22-250 at 100 yards is not uncommon), but with the savage I was getting 6 to 8 inch groups. I only shoot in groups of three letting the barrel cool down between groups because it is such a thin barrel. I thought that it might be the scope, that's why I changed it out to the Nikon but nothing has changed. I have gone over every bolt on the rifle and nothing was loose and nothing has changed. Does anyone have any advice because I'm getting very frustrated with this thing!

Thanks all
    Zach

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Accuracy on a 7mm Savage

Need some more info.

Is this a new to you gun or one you've had for awhile and shot before?

Same ammo as before or did you change ammo?

How did it shoot before?

Have you tried a different bullet/ammo?

Is the crown OK?

Dale

6-8" groups from a Savage is not right. My son has a 110 in 7mm that still has the cheapo Bushnell combo scope on it, & that's a tack driver.

I suppose you've checked the scope rings & bases.

Pull the stock off & check the barrel in the area of the sling swivel to see if the bluing is worn off. If the stud is against the barrel, it will cause it to shoot erratically.

While the stock's off, check the pillar/lug area to see if it's chewed up from maybe being loose.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Northumberland County)

Yeah, something is definitely off for it to be shooting groups that large. Personally, I expect all modern deer rifles to be able to hold at least a 2" group with the proper ammo. Especially Savages because of their reputation for accuracy. I average 1-1.5" groups with my 7mm mag Savage 110 and a Simmons scope, and I know it's capable of more than that. My groups will expand a little if I don't let the barrel cool, but not by more than an inch or so. I'm guessing this is a new(er) acquisition? How does the bore look? I've never heard of a Savage with bad rifling, but I'm sure it happens every now and then. Have you run a dollar bill between the barrel and stock to see if it's fully floated? Are you shooting factory or reloaded ammo? And perhaps most importantly, do you have a warranty for it?

(Wayne County)

Call Savage!

(Montgomery County)

Yes, i have tried many different ammo types (140 - 170 grains and different manufactures) same results across the board. The gun has been apart and retorqued no signs of odd ware. The dollar bill trick is all good down the barrel. The gun is new to me and i have around 200 rounds through it. I have had problems with accurcy since it was new, about 2 years ago. Up until recently i have blamed the cheapo scope. Now im just frusterated!

Thanks all
    Zach

(Somerset County)

I'd let someone else shoot it and see what their groups look like (just to check the nut behind the trigger ). If it's still bad, I'd contact Savage. If no help there, dump it or rebarrel it. Savages are relatively easy to rebarrel.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    I'd let someone else shoot it and see what their groups look like (just to check the nut behind the trigger ). If it's still bad, I'd contact Savage. If no help there, dump it or rebarrel it. Savages are relatively easy to rebarrel.

Dale
    +1 to Dale. I'm not trying to offend you or be an asshole Zach, but the chances are, IT'S YOU. "Cutting holes" with a .22-250 is quite a bit different form shooting a 7mm magnum. My guess is that you're flinching, and that's the cause of the bad groups. Normally, the rifle should should shoot much better groups than that. I'd let someone who shoots a lot of big bore rifles shoot it, and see what kind of groups they print with it. My guess is "operator error".

(Montgomery County)

i take no offense, i understand that 90% of the time it IS the shooters error, however, I have had my father and a friend shoot the rifle with similar results. I have been toying with the idea of dumping the rifle in favor of a savage with the accutrigger in the same caliber, but I hate to give up on the rifle but it may be beyond my scope of experience. And most importantly Deer season is coming up!

Later
    Zach

Depending on price...I might take it off your hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast