Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Chronography and bullet trajectory

Does anyone out there get into using a chronograph to help figure out the ballistics on their ammo? I'm looking for a good quality chronograph so I can do a bunch of experimenting and calculations with the reloads that I'm making. If I invest anything in a chronograph, I want it to be a good quality one; so, any suggestions? I went searching and found the one's on the Cabela's website, but I have no idea if those are good quality ones, or if there is something better I should be considering. Anybody else have any idea's what's out there on the market? Anybody have some experience using them and doing experiments with their guns, or know any really technical info about how they work and what to take into consideration?

Here's what I found on Cabela's website: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...raph&noImage=0

If I invest in a chronograph, should I also be investing in some ballistics software to calculate bullet drop at long range, or is that a waste of money? Is that all stuff that I could figure out on my own easily enough with the right use of math?

Basically, if you have any information at all about using a chronograph, post it here in this thread. I'm here to learn.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Chronography and bullet trajectory

I have one of the Shooting Chrony Beta Master chronographs. I thought it would have been better to name it the Master Beta, but it's not my company.

Anyway, I'm happy with it. It stores a whole bunch of shots and gives statistics such as high & low velocity, average, and standard deviation. It can be a very useful tool for working up loads for accuracy. The consistency of the velocity can have an effect on the consistency of your group. I would recommend one with a remote display, and one that can store at least one string of shots so you don't have to stop to write down each one.

You can calculate trajectory as long as you know the ballistic coefficient of your particular bullet. If it's not listed in the software, some programs can calculate it if you know your velocity at two points (say 15yds and 100yds).

Way back when, I had a DOS program that did all this stuff. Even did bullet drift if you knew wind speed, etc. Can't even remember the name of it now. If I can find it, I'll pass it along.

If you're a scientific type person, or really want to get into experimenting with different loads, I think they're worth the money.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Washington County)

Ok, some judicious searching brought it back to me.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/jhogema/skeetn/pcb/pcb.htm

PCB isn't exactly a catchy name.

Set the wayback machine for the late 20th century. This runs in DOS, so you have to access it from the command prompt to run it. Once in it, all selections are done with the arrow keys, not the mouse. This is an old-timey 386 style program.

The maximum point blank range (MPBR) function is pretty interesting. You tell it your maximum range and acceptable deviation, it tells you how to sight in. Example, you shoot no further than 500yds, and you want to stay in a 6" circle. It will tell you how to sight in so that your shot is not more than 3" high or 3" low out to that distance (provided you have enough velocity to do it.) Eliminates "hold over" for taking long shots. Very interesting stuff.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

Hey thanks for the info!! I have another question now. When you mentioned getting one with a remote display, from how far away does the thing display? Are you talking about some wireless/cordless setup that reads from 100 or 200 yards away or further? Or one that must be set up within relatively close proximity of the gun?

Yeah, I am sort of a scientific person. I like stuff like this, and am getting more and more interested in long range shooting. Right now I'm shooting a .338 WinMag, so it has plenty of punch, but I can't keep it very accurate beyond about 200-250 yards. I have a wide open space of about 700+ yards right out the back door of the house. And yes, there are ground hogs and deer that meander around out there. I might look into eventually getting a gun better suited for long range shooting some day.

I'm open to any and all additional info that anyone might have about this.

(Washington County)

When I say remote, I mean that the display is not attached to the unit. It connects with a cord, similar to a phone cord but may not be interchangeable. I think the Master-Beta has about 20 or 30 ft cord with it. lets you keep it right next to you on the bench.

Also, the display has all the electronics in it, which is the majority of the cost of the thing. IF (or WHEN) you put a bullet through the chrony, you'll only be replacing the sensors instead of everything. They have a pretty good guarantee on them also.

I suspect your .338 would have enough punch at 700 yds for deer. Punch your MV and weight data into that PCB program and get an idea of how much velocity it has at that range. Heavier bullets may help to retain energy at longer ranges.

Vince

(Tioga County)

I have a Chrony Gamma Master. the software I use the most is the Sierra Infinity Suite. It has served my needs in load development. Yes, I shoot mostly Sierra bullets in my varmint rifles. Rifles include Remington 700 VLS in 22-250, Savage 12BVSS in .243 and a Savage 12FV in 22-250. They are all sub 1 MOA rifles with my loads. the savages are quite new and i haven't had the time to really work a load yet. in fact the 12FV has less than 100 rounds out the barrel. The chronograph can help work up a load once your in the 1/2 MOA area. It is necessary to know your velocity when shooting those pesky critters out over 300 yards

(Lebanon County)

I bought the most basic chronograph that I could find at the time, Prochrono J2. It doesn't do anything but show the speed of whatever crosses it's sensors. No memory, no calculator, no remote display. It appears to be accurate, I don't get any numbers that appear to be bogus or out of the ordinary. It just has a digital readout on the front panel that's easy to see, and it displays the last shot until you fire the next shot. I use pen and paper to record my numbers and then I calculate as needed. I don't shoot rapid fire, I don't mind taking my time between shots. It isn't fancy, but it does what I need. I have no regrets about getting a less expensive model, but I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from getting a more elaborate model if you want/need it to do more than I need it to do.

The rest of the story......

I wound up buying a Beta Master Chrony from Cabela's then. Now, just gotta figure out how to make it work some day...... It came missing one of those plastic diffuser thingamajigs that goes on top.

(Tioga County)

I would have screamed at cabela's for that I suspect they would have made it right. ask Chrony for a new one. I don't think it would cost all that much. It should work without the diffuser on a cloudy day.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W500Mag View Post
    The rest of the story......

I wound up buying a Beta Master Chrony from Cabela's then. Now, just gotta figure out how to make it work some day...... It came missing one of those plastic diffuser thingamajigs that goes on top.