Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default .327 federal mag

I saw some ammo at Cabella's the other day and now have been reading some info about it. I think I'm interested in one but not suredoes anyone here have any experience with one? Other than Ruger and Charter who makes a gun for it? I have seen the ammo around quite a bit so I'm not worried about availability; what do you guys think?

(Chester County)

Default Re: .327 federal mag

I know a couple people that swear by them. I have shot a few and they arent bad. One was the size of a j frame roughly but held 6 rounds which I thought was cool. Not bad but did seem to have a slightly sharper recoil than a 38+p in the same size and material.

thats really all I can say as thats as far as my limited experience goes with them.

(Indiana County)

S&W 632
    Taurus M327
    Freedom Arms 97
    as well as the Charter and Ruger as you mentioned.
    I think I heard that Bond will be offering it in their derringers as well.

The 327 Fed is pretty much a .32 H&R Magnum Magnum, a stretched case with heavier walls.
    A 327 Fed revolver can use .32 H&R Mags and .32 S&W shorts and longs.

IIRC, the 327 is about on par with a standard 9mm round as far as "power".

(Cumberland County)

Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Good read rwb. Thanks for the link brother. rep coming in!

I've got the Taurus M327 and when using .327 it can be a handfull. It's nice to have a revolver that carrys 6 rounds that fits in a pocket. I've tested mine on pumpkins with Speer Gold Dots and they do a nice job. With .32 Mag's the effect is almost as good. I can hit a center mass target at 15 yards and at 7 yards put all of my aimed shots in a fist sized target. Ruger makes it in a single action and a GP100. It's a good small round that's good for self-defence. Not as good a .45 ACP, but I have trouble hiding and .45 in shorts and a T-shirt.

(Pike County)

I'm the dark cloud on this one. It'll go the way of the .32 H&R mag, the 9mm Federal, and the current path of the .45 GAP.
    Good thing is that you can use the .32 S&W in it, so if you buy the gun you can at least shoot it 10 years from now.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    I'm the dark cloud on this one. It'll go the way of the .32 H&R mag, the 9mm Federal, and the current path of the .45 GAP.
    Good thing is that you can use the .32 S&W in it, so if you buy the gun you can at least shoot it 10 years from now.
    Exactly my thought.

It's a good load. The numbers look appealing. But here is the problem. There is very limited adoption of it among shooters. Unless there is a call for it, you will not see guns chambered in it for long.

For a new load to take off there needs to be a demand. GAP has one only due to the G-37 being adopted by some LEO groups. As far as I know there is no other manufacturer making a gap pistol anymore. To me that's the sign of a round sticking around.

EG the 357 Sig. It is available from pretty much every manufacturer and have fairly good LEO adoption.

Some rounds stick around because they offer something other loads do not. (10mm)

I don't see the 327 federal offering much over the 38 special/ 357 magnum chambering.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    Exactly my thought.

It's a good load. The numbers look appealing. But here is the problem. There is very limited adoption of it among shooters. Unless there is a call for it, you will not see guns chambered in it for long.

For a new load to take off there needs to be a demand. GAP has one only due to the G-37 being adopted by some LEO groups. As far as I know there is no other manufacturer making a gap pistol anymore. To me that's the sign of a round sticking around.

EG the 357 Sig. It is available from pretty much every manufacturer and have fairly good LEO adoption.

Some rounds stick around because they offer something other loads do not. (10mm)

I don't see the 327 federal offering much over the 38 special/ 357 magnum chambering.
    Agreed. These new rounds that are developed for a niche, or are inbetween other calibers don't often catch on. Here's a good article on it.

findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_154_25/ai_77824405/
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    Some rounds stick around because they offer something other loads do not.
    I think the .327 does exactly that - offer something other loads do not. It offers a sixth round in J-frame size guns. I offers terrific ballistics out of short barrels. It offers reduced recoil. It offers flexibility, in that firearms chambered for it can also shoot .32 H&R Mag / .32 S&W Long.

I have to lay the fault of this round not taking off at the feet of S&W. If they chambered a J-frame - other than that stupid ported "Pro" for ridiculous money - for it, it would be selling like crazy. Ruger chambers its heavy SP101 for it, but other than that and the S&W Pro, there are no practical guns in this round - who wants a single action or a full-size revolver in .327?

S&W should get behind this with all the usual J-Frame variants (hammerless, shrouded, airweight, etc, etc). I think it's an ideal round and I was considering it for my GF as she lacks the dexterity to manipulate the slide of a semi-auto. Low recoil, six shots, good ballistics in a package easily managed by all - what's not to recommend it.

JMHO / YMMV

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast