Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Light 9mm Load

Default Light 9mm Load

Greetings, folks...

Since I've gotten into shooting USPSA/IPSC, one of the main reasons I've been looking into getting into reloading is to make a round that'll give me a bit less recoil but still fall within the standards of the sport. Now, I understand that using load data you gather from the Intarweb should be taken with a grain of power, I'm primarily looking to see if a round can be manufactured to this precise of a specification...

The minimum power factor for Minor Production class is 125. Power Factor is defined as: ((bullet weight gr) * FPS) / 1000.

So...

(115gr FMJ * 1087fps) / 1000 = 125.005

Is there a way to calculate out how many grains of powder would be needed to have a 115gr bullet travel at 1087fps?
    Last edited by Wynder; November 8th, 2007 at 09:58 AM.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Light 9mm Load

A quick look through the 9mm load data pages in a few of my reloading manuals shows that there are several loads published that meet your criteria. Depending on which specific 125 gr. bullet you choose, you should be able to get your desired velocity with somewhere between 4.4 - 4.8 gr. of HP-38 powder. (That's only one of many). Since your results will vary depending on your barrel length, brass, bullet, seating depth etc, the only way to know for sure if you have the perfect combination is to buy a chronograph and use it. They can be had for less than $100.00. That's not really too much money for a piece of equipment that is so helpful. I've had one for several years and I'd be lost without it. Before I bought it, I didn't think it was all that important, but I took some good advice and now I know how valuable it really is.

Default Re: Light 9mm Load

Just to clarify, it'd be a 115 grain bullet -- at the 1087fps, that would give me the 125 power factor according to USPSA.

Thanks for the info, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    A quick look through the 9mm load data pages in a few of my reloading manuals shows that there are several loads published that meet your criteria. Depending on which specific 125 gr. bullet you choose, you should be able to get your desired velocity with somewhere between 4.4 - 4.8 gr. of HP-38 powder. (That's only one of many). Since your results will vary depending on your barrel length, brass, bullet, seating depth etc, the only way to know for sure if you have the perfect combination is to buy a chronograph and use it. They can be had for less than $100.00. That's not really too much money for a piece of equipment that is so helpful. I've had one for several years and I'd be lost without it. Before I bought it, I didn't think it was all that important, but I took some good advice and now I know how valuable it really is.