Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NYC?

(Allegheny County)

Default NYC?

Okay guys, the wife and I are making a rather last minute vacation to New York to check on some property, and decided to see the city while we are at it. I understand the limitations with firearms and personal protection in general so please let's not comment on that.

Besides the "usual" sights do we have any members here who are familiar with the city? I'm big into museums, good local food, and things that go "WOW"

We are staying in jersey, and will try to avoid driving as much as possible but would also like to pick "dense" locations to hit as much as we can within walking distance. I will have the GPS, laptop, and blackberry so we will be connected.

Thanks!

Brian

Default Re: NYC?

Okay, being from NYC, i'm going to give you a slight education.
    Don't bring anything that goes bang, I mean nothing. Don't do it! Its illegal in NYC too to carry pepper spray or anything like it.
    Don't talk to strangers. (i'm being very serious)
    Never tell anyone that your not from NY and that your a 'tourist'.
    Try not to flash any money, not even change.
    Do not leave your personal belongings unattended at any time, leave your jacket/coat on the back of your chair and watch it constantly and leave pockets empty!
    Don't be kind to anyones kid, don't even smile at them, you'll wind up in cuffs faster than lightening.
    DO NOT GIVE ANYONE MONEY (homeless, poor, hungry, drunks, kids) DON'T DO IT! Its a setup!

There are many, many museums in NYC that you will love. Also if you have some time take in the Museum of Natural History (midtown) its worth it. Also the Metropolitan Museum of Art. If you make it downtown take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry (its free) you can take absolutely gorgeous pictures from the boat of the NY skyline (minus trade center ) and the Statue of Liberty. Its a great ride, I highly recommend it.
    NYC is a fast, fast, lifestyle. Be prepared to be rushed. Its not slow and easy like PA. People are rude and cold, don't take it personally.
    Any restaurant is good in Manhattan, but be prepared to spend big bucks, NY ain't cheap! If you like Chinese, go to Chinatown. You'll get some of the best food in NY. Personally I would stay away from Viet Namese food (don't know really what it is). If you go midtown in the theater district, its pretty safe and the restaurants are top notch! Especially Sardis which is famous and the food is good.
    There are some things I won't put on a public forum, shoot me a pm if needbe.
    Have a nice trip!

[quote=Michele;132401]Okay, being from NYC, i'm going to give you a slight education.
    Don't bring anything that goes bang, I mean nothing. Don't do it! Its illegal in NYC too to carry pepper spray or anything like it.
    Don't talk to strangers. (i'm being very serious)
    Never tell anyone that your not from NY and that your a 'tourist'.
    Try not to flash any money, not even change.
    Do not leave your personal belongings unattended at any time, leave your jacket/coat on the back of your chair and watch it constantly and leave pockets empty!
    Don't be kind to anyones kid, don't even smile at them, you'll wind up in cuffs faster than lightening.
    DO NOT GIVE ANYONE MONEY (homeless, poor, hungry, drunks, kids) DON'T DO IT! Its a setup!

Michele....... where exactly in NYC did you live ? Born there ?

IN DOG WE TRUST
    OBEY THE YELLOW LAB

Michele....... where exactly in NYC did you live ? Born there ?

Yes I was born there Brooklyn to be exact. Lived there till I was 8. Moved to Staten Island and lived there until June of this year.
    I didn't survive NYC for 45 years by being a wussy and not watching my back. That statement might sound funny, but believe me, its not. Its the truth.

(Berks County)

Several years ago I lost my wallet in New York. To be exact, on the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art on Fifth Avenue. Well, a very nice rich widow found my wallet on the steps where I had dropped it and contacted me at the hotel I was staying at (Novotel Hotel in Manhattan) and asked me if I would come to her place to retrieve it.

I caught a cab to her residence and I almost fainted when I saw where she lived. I told the guard there my story and he buzzed the lady to come down with my wallet. The first thing she said to me was, "What's your name and how much money to you have in this wallet?" I guess she wanted to make sure that the wallet really belonged to me. I gave her the correct answers and she smiled and gave my wallet back to me.

She asked if I wanted to have dinner with her and also do the town, but I had to decline her invitation because I already had plans that I couldn't cancel. I think she was lonely. Well anyway I thanked her again and told her that I'll send her something nice from Hawaii when I got back. I sent her a beautiful arrangement of Hawaiian flowers which she appreciated very much.

rand

(Delaware County)

<---Actual born and raised New Yorker--Manhattan to be specific.

Stay away from stupid chain restaurants. They can only exist and survive in Times Square because that is where all the tourists, who don't know a damn thing, go. They simply can't compete with any local restaurant of any kind that exists in the City. And to ask for 'good food' is too general. New York has the best food you will ever eat, you just have to have a plan.

How long are you going to be in the city? One day is not enough time to do much of anything except walk around.

If you plan on driving into the city, prepare to spend about 50-60 dollars to park for the day, and you'd better not have a large vehicle or you'll simply get rejected from every parking lot, if not, it will cost even more to park.

A couple of world reknown museums are above 59th street (Natural History and MMoA). Otherwise, everything you're going to want to do is way downtown from there.

Don't be a dork and bring a GPS reciever with you or a map. Just remember, even if it is your first time, pretend you've been to the top of the mountain before. Figure out where you want to go ahead of your visit, and then go there.

A big problem with people visitng New York is they aren't really aware of what walking really is. When was the last time you walked for 30-45 minutes just to go somewhere. Our relatives would come from out of town and be absolutely worn out after walking for 20 minutes, and they would have hours and hours of being on their feet left ahead of them, so be prepared to really walk, and walk fast.

There is really no limit as to what people could tell you about New York, but you have to be a little specific as to what you want.

(Allegheny County)

Most of what I had my eye on is downtown but I did want to hit the museums too. As for food, chinatown seems right on the money. I will be a dork no matter what but I'll be discrete. It's a bluetooth GPS and I have the maps on the blackberry. I'm just checking my phone....

We were gong to do friday (afternoon) and Saturday (all day). The plan was to find a hotel in Jersey and rely on public transportation to get us the rest of the way. There is no way in hell I want to drive in the city. I have NO PROBLEM with walking and walking far. The wife might because she doesn't have the best ankles but we are doing what we can.

Here is a question: The likely hotel is in the Meadowlands, is there a good place to park and catch the bus? I don't mind driving a little closer to the city to save a longer bus trip or to get to a nicer area if need be.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    Most of what I had my eye on is downtown but I did want to hit the museums too. As for food, chinatown seems right on the money. I will be a dork no matter what but I'll be discrete. It's a bluetooth GPS and I have the maps on the blackberry. I'm just checking my phone....

We were gong to do friday (afternoon) and Saturday (all day). The plan was to find a hotel in Jersey and rely on public transportation to get us the rest of the way. There is no way in hell I want to drive in the city. I have NO PROBLEM with walking and walking far. The wife might because she doesn't have the best ankles but we are doing what we can.

Here is a question: The likely hotel is in the Meadowlands, is there a good place to park and catch the bus? I don't mind driving a little closer to the city to save a longer bus trip or to get to a nicer area if need be.
    Well, you'll be able to park at the hotel and there should be a NJ Transit bus that goes from the hotel right to the Port Authority. The front desk will probably have the schedule right on the counter.

(Allegheny County)

Works for me.

Thanks everyone for the great tips.

(Centre County)

For a hotel in Jersey close to the city you might try to get into the Marriott in Jersey City. From its front door it's a stones throw to the subway that will take you to the city. Rates are about 179 and up. Just a thought, I stay there when I'm doing work in Bayonne.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast