Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question Another AR or an AK? Need help making a decision...

Hi, All. I'm ready to add another rifle to the family, but I'm torn on which way to go. I've got an AR already (an M4gery) and I love it. But I've also recently shot my buddy's AK and I had a great time with that as well.

So here goes...

If you guys were in my shoes would you get another AR (this time mid-length) with some sweeeeet new bells and whistles....

or would you buy an AK to better round out my collection?

I'm on the fence because I'd really like to buy an AK, but I would also have to spend more money on another ammo cache and magazines- plus I already have an AR in my collection and I can continue only buying .223 and I already have enough magazines.

Either way, the rifle will only be used at my RPC for recreational purposes.

Thanks in advance,

Slim
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

(Chester County)

Default Re: Another AR or an AK? Need help making a decision...

Oh, and cost isn't an issue. I'm either buying a higher-end AK or I'm building my own AR.

Thanks,

Slim
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

(Chester County)

Personally, I'd get an AK. Simply because it would be pretty cool to have two different assault rifles.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

(Chester County)

That's the only reason I'm having trouble with the decision. If I didn't already have an AR, I would definitely be getting an AR. But since I already have one....

Although, two AR's would still be two different assault rifles!

Slim

(Allegheny County)

isn't the question really "should i get another AR or 2 AKs?" i guess you did say money wasn't an issue, though...

i would recommend another AR for the following reason: two is one and one is none.

if the S ever does HTF, and you actually need to use your rifle to defend yourself and a part breaks, it is good to have spare parts to fix it. there is no more complete a source of spare parts for an AR than another AR.

you also make more efficient use of your ammo. say you have 1,000 rounds of ammo. if you have two ARs, you will have 1,000 rounds of ammo that either can shoot. if you have one AR and one AK, you will have 500 rounds of ammo that the AR can shoot and 500 rounds the AK can shoot. if one or the other of the rifles goes down, your 1,000 round stockpile has suddenly dropped to a 500 round stockpile.

of course, you may not care about SHTF, so none of this may matter to you, but just some things to think about.

(Westmoreland County)

I vote for an AK also...nothing like a well rounded collection!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Chester County)

That's 2 for AK, one for another AR- and three valid points.

I actually do care about SHTF and my wallet. It would be more efficient to only have to buy .223 and be able to interchange parts and mags. The allure of the "well rounded collection" is great though.

Thanks, Guys. Keep 'em coming!

Slim

(Philadelphia County)

If money isn't an issue, and you want an AK, try the Arsenal, or Krebs line.

(Chester County)

Thanks, Garpman. It's not to say the money isn't an issue at all, I said that to avoid the "2 AK's for the price of 1 AR" comments. I'm fully aware that one AR cost twice what an AK does, but I only need one rifle.

I was looking at the Arsenal AK's though, they are sweeet- especially with the flash supressor.

Thanks,

Slim

(Lebanon County)

AK. once you have one ar, you pretty much have all of them.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast