Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Another scope recomendation thread ...

I'm looking for a new scope for my Remmy .308. I do plan on eventually shooting LR with this scope (800+ yrds). Some things that I'm looking for:

- Price limit ~$1000
    - Mil-dot reticle
    - prefer mil-dot adjustments
    - 30mm main tube
    - variable power
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Default Re: Another scope recomendation thread ...

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I'm looking for a new scope for my Remmy .308. I do plan on eventually shooting LR with this scope (800+ yrds). Some things that I'm looking for:

- Price limit ~$1000
    - Mil-dot reticle
    - 30mm main tube
    - variable power
    I have a few questions. Are other reticles or something like a TMR acceptable? Is there a particular power range you'd like to stay around or in? Do you have a preferred objective size?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I have a few questions. Are other reticles or something like a TMR acceptable? Is there a particular power range you'd like to stay around or in? Do you have a preferred objective size?
    1. Reticles: TMR would be fine. I consider that to be a "cousin" since it's still a milling one. I'm open to suggestions though.
    2. Power range: on the high side ... ~14x+
    3. Objective size: Open to suggestions

Hope that helps.
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

im not familiar with scopes, i only own a few, one of them is a leupold varix 3 8.5x25 30mm mildot.
    it used to be on my fifty, now i use it on my .17hmr

if the light is right, you can see fifty cal holes in paper at 500 yrds.
    im sure there under 1000.00

its a pretty damn good scope if you ask me..
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

I was trying to figure out what makes the Mark 4 "better" than their VX-x line. I know one is for "hunting" and the other is "tactical" but those are just marketing labels.

Growing up my .270 had a nice hunting leupold scope. It's old now but still works well.

edit .. I did notice that at least on leupold's site, I wasn't able to find any VX scopes with a mil-dot reticle

(Centre County)

- Price limit ~$1000
    - Mil-dot reticle
    - 30mm main tube
    - variable power
    This shoudl be doable. I believe Vortex makes a mil/mil scope for about $900 that fits this description.

Leupold doesn't have a mil/mil offering within that price range, neither does NF, S&B, USO, and some of the other more prevalent manufacturers.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    This shoudl be doable. I believe Vortex makes a mil/mil scope for about $900 that fits this description.

Leupold doesn't have a mil/mil offering within that price range, neither does NF, S&B, USO, and some of the other more prevalent manufacturers.
    Is the Vortex the one that is new and there's a long waiting list for? I can't remember. The closet Leupold that I could find to fit my needs is the Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm LR/T M1, but it's mil/moa. What line do they offer mil/mil?

Is the Vortex the one that is new and there's a long waiting list for? I can't remember. The closet Leupold that I could find to fit my needs is the Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm LR/T M1, but it's mil/moa. What line do they offer mil/mil?
    There are actually several Vortex scopes. Some of the Vortex Viper scopes will already fit your needs and be less than the Viper PST that Aaaargh15 is talking about. Most of us are waiting for the Viper PST because it's FFP. The scopes are actually not out right now, and there is a bit of a waiting line. There were some complaints initially about the turrets being a little "too easy" to move. The scope has markings and a zero stop, so lots of people didn't see what the problem was. The Viper PST is supposed to have not quite as good of glass as the Leupold Mark 4 scopes, but better than the scopes that most people are used to looking through. It has what is basically a TMR reticle, FFP, Mil/Mil, illuminated reticle, and zero stop. For the magnification range you're looking at would be the 4-16x50mm, and is running around $850.

There is a bit of a waiting line for the scope because they haven't truly been "released" yet. They released the scopes, got some complaints, and because they want to release a good product that is acceptable to the shooters, they re-engineered the turrets so that they would be a little bit more stuff, but still reliable. Everybody is pretty hopeful, but some people have grown tired of waiting. Honestly, for the features that you get, there is only one other scope that sort of compares to it, that I'll mention in a minute. If you don't want the FFP, then you can already get some Vortex Vipers that would fit your bill, but lots of us want the FFP. They will likely be out by December, and most of us are watching and waiting to see if they prove to be what we all hope they are. If you're interested in seeing a bit more about the scope and possibly waiting for one, which shouldn't be terribly long, then here's a link. http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...1-mrad-reticle. If they prove to be decent glass, accurate reticle and dial correctly (and they should), this will be the next scope I purchase. There are some threads on snipershide of the PST, and even though some people weren't happy, and others about the wait, lots of people were very pleased with the scope for the money. There were also pics through the scope side by side comparison with a Mark 4. It's always hard to tell a ton from side by side comparisons, so take them with a grain of salt, and it just kind of gives you an idea.

If you just had to have a scope "right now", then there's another scope that you might consider. It's the Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical FFP, they're available in 6-24x50mm for supposedly 999.99, and a 3-12x44mm for $849.99. This is a FFP, mil/mil scope, with a mil-dot (GEN I) in it, and is illuminated. It does not have zero stop. Honestly, you may be a bit disappointed with the reticle since it's a step down from the Gen II mil-dot reticle that is in your LRS. Both the Viper PST and the Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical FFP are 30mm tubes. The Bushnell has less adjustment range than the Viper PST, if I remember correctly. The big turn off for lots of guys has been that the turrets aren't as nice (very plain), no zeoro stop, and particularly the old reticle (somewhat outdated). It has Elite 4200 glass in it, so it'll look good and usable, but it may not be quite as good as you expect for basically a $900 scope. It has the same glass as the other Elite 4200 scopes, which are almost half the price. Here's a link to that scope if you wanted to check it out, and there's a few posts on snipershide about them as well. Bushnell-3-12x44-Elite-4200-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P45484 .

Keep in mind that the scopes that are selling for this much are FFP. If you do not want that feature, there ARE other scopes that fit your requirements and are SFP. Most of them are around the $500 price range, and as you approach the $1,000 mark, most are going to FFP. Leupold DOES offer the .1 mil adjustments in their "M5" turret. They're new and were released at the SHOT show this year. As far as I know, they're concerned with getting them out on the Leupold Mark 4 FFP scopes, and I don't know if they currently offer them for any other scopes. They were pretty concerned with getting their FFP scope out. They were saying that there would not be any retrofits of mil/moa scopes for a while, and maybe never. So just buying a normal Mark 4 and having it retrofitted later may not be a possibility. From what I hear, the new Mark 4 scopes are nice, but they're another half of your budget, or more. You're looking at $1,500+ for those scopes. That's putting you practically in Nightforce territory, and that's what a lot of people are choosing. Are you interested in other scopes that are not FFP, or do you like that feature?
    Last edited by Tomcat088; October 8th, 2010 at 06:52 PM.

edit .. I did notice that at least on leupold's site, I wasn't able to find any VX scopes with a mil-dot reticle
    i noticed that myself.. i guess mildot is too complicated?
    i dont use it myself, i would like to learn it but i dont shoot enough.
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    There are actually several Vortex scopes. Some of the Vortex Viper scopes will already fit your needs and be less than the Viper PST that Aaaargh15 is talking about. Most of us are waiting for the Viper PST because it's FFP. The scopes are actually not out right now, and there is a bit of a waiting line. There were some complaints initially about the turrets being a little "too easy" to move. The scope has markings and a zero stop, so lots of people didn't see what the problem was. The Viper PST is supposed to have not quite as good of glass as the Leupold Mark 4 scopes, but better than the scopes that most people are used to looking through. It has what is basically a TMR reticle, FFP, Mil/Mil, illuminated reticle, and zero stop. For the magnification range you're looking at would be the 4-16x50mm, and is running around $850.

There is a bit of a waiting line for the scope because they haven't truly been "released" yet. They released the scopes, got some complaints, and because they want to release a good product that is acceptable to the shooters, they re-engineered the turrets so that they would be a little bit more stuff, but still reliable. Everybody is pretty hopeful, but some people have grown tired of waiting. Honestly, for the features that you get, there is only one other scope that sort of compares to it, that I'll mention in a minute. If you don't want the FFP, then you can already get some Vortex Vipers that would fit your bill, but lots of us want the FFP. They will likely be out by December, and most of us are watching and waiting to see if they prove to be what we all hope they are. If you're interested in seeing a bit more about the scope and possibly waiting for one, which shouldn't be terribly long, then here's a link. http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...1-mrad-reticle. If they prove to be decent glass, accurate reticle and dial correctly (and they should), this will be the next scope I purchase. There are some threads on snipershide of the PST, and even though some people weren't happy, and others about the wait, lots of people were very pleased with the scope for the money. There were also pics through the scope side by side comparison with a Mark 4. It's always hard to tell a ton from side by side comparisons, so take them with a grain of salt, and it just kind of gives you an idea.

If you just had to have a scope "right now", then there's another scope that you might consider. It's the Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical FFP, they're available in 6-24x50mm for supposedly 999.99, and a 3-12x44mm for $849.99. This is a FFP, mil/mil scope, with a mil-dot (GEN I) in it, and is illuminated. It does not have zero stop. Honestly, you may be a bit disappointed with the reticle since it's a step down from the Gen II mil-dot reticle that is in your LRS. Both the Viper PST and the Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical FFP are 30mm tubes. The Bushnell has less adjustment range than the Viper PST, if I remember correctly. The big turn off for lots of guys has been that the turrets aren't as nice (very plain), no zeoro stop, and particularly the old reticle (somewhat outdated). It has Elite 4200 glass in it, so it'll look good and usable, but it may not be quite as good as you expect for basically a $900 scope. It has the same glass as the other Elite 4200 scopes, which are almost half the price. Here's a link to that scope if you wanted to check it out, and there's a few posts on snipershide about them as well. Bushnell-3-12x44-Elite-4200-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P45484 .

Keep in mind that the scopes that are selling for this much are FFP. If you do not want that feature, there ARE other scopes that fit your requirements and are SFP. Most of them are around the $500 price range, and as you approach the $1,000 mark, most are going to FFP. Leupold DOES offer the .1 mil adjustments in their "M5" turret. They're new and were released at the SHOT show this year. As far as I know, they're concerned with getting them out on the Leupold Mark 4 FFP scopes, and I don't know if they currently offer them for any other scopes. They were pretty concerned with getting their FFP scope out. They were saying that there would not be any retrofits of mil/moa scopes for a while, and maybe never. So just buying a normal Mark 4 and having it retrofitted later may not be a possibility. From what I hear, the new Mark 4 scopes are nice, but they're another half of your budget, or more. You're looking at $1,500+ for those scopes. That's putting you practically in Nightforce territory, and that's what a lot of people are choosing. Are you interested in other scopes that are not FFP, or do you like that feature?
    The Viper PST is the one that I was thinking of earlier. They definitely do sound like they are going to be a nice product if/when they come out. From what I remember a lot of people have high hopes for them. I hope that vortex comes through.

I'm not really in any rush at this point so I can spend some time waiting and researching.

At this point, I would like a FFP scope. As far as the Leupold scope goes, $1500 is too high at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast