Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thumbs down Bushnell Banner 3-9x40

Brand new scope, mounted on LaRue LT104 mount died after only 40ish shots.

I was sighting in my scope on my AR, and was doing well. I was just getting the final dials set, and after the first shot of that group, I noticed a spec on my crosshairs. I finished the other 2 shots, then made sure rifle was empty, range was empty (I was alone), and I proceeded to check the outside glass, to make sure no debris was on it.

Even though it was empty, I made sure not to put my face in the path of the muzzle, safety, you know. Anyways, there was nothing on the outside glass, front or back of the scope, so I decided I would call about it when I got home. I continued to fire, and after about 3 more shots of federal ball ammo, the crosshairs were canted a full 45 degrees and you could see the seal/crack at the bottom of the crosshairs.

I called Dick's Sporting Goods, cause that's where I bought it, and they said with a receipt it'd be no problem to return, which is fantastic.

However it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Less than 50 shots and it dies?

Maybe I got the dud, but I'm going to stick away from this line. Doesn't sit well in my mouth. That's all.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bushnell Banner 3-9x40

Quote Originally Posted by blankexistance View Post
    Doesn't sit well in my mouth.
    Probably should have kept it on the AR and you would not have had that problem.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by ddefazio View Post
    Probably should have kept it on the AR and you would not have had that problem.
    That's what she said!

I've had Bushnell gear, mostly binoculars, and never had problems, so I wouldn't hesitate to replace it, directly. It's probably just the one that made it through QC on a Friday afternoon.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Montgomery County)

moved to the OPTICS section... remember folks, we split the forums up into categories for a REASON.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Sorry JayBell .

I upgraded and replaced it with a Leupold VX-I 4-12x40. Buy once cry once!
    Last edited by blankexistance; October 7th, 2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Oops, n00b error.

Sorry JayBell .

I upgraded and replaced it with a Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40. Buy once cry once!
    The problem that you mentioned does sometimes happen with "bargain" scopes. For the most part, Bushnell makes pretty good products for the money. As you get higher up in the price range, they usually have a little better quality control. Even with very good quality control, sometimes a lemon or bad scope will leave the factory. Scopes are mechanical devices, and they do fail. It's too bad that this one failed on you, especially as quickly as it did. Honestly, if something's going to break, at least it did it early on you, and not when you really needed it (maybe in the field or hunting, obviously not in PA).

I'm not being a jerk, but I find it a bit comical that you'd cry over the price of a Leupold Rifleman scope. Obviously they're not cheap, but they aren't break the bank either. I did want to warn you that if you think Leupold scopes don't break, especially their lower down line, you may be shocked one of these days. Lots of $1,200+ scopes from Leupold break, or start malfunctioning. So it's a bit unrealistic to think that a $250 scope can't or won't. Sorry, but just like the $250 scopes, the Mark 4's and others are still mechanical devices, and they malfunction. The nice thing is lifetime warranties for manufacturing defects. Good luck to you on your new purchase though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    The problem that you mentioned does sometimes happen with "bargain" scopes. For the most part, Bushnell makes pretty good products for the money. As you get higher up in the price range, they usually have a little better quality control. Even with very good quality control, sometimes a lemon or bad scope will leave the factory. Scopes are mechanical devices, and they do fail. It's too bad that this one failed on you, especially as quickly as it did. Honestly, if something's going to break, at least it did it early on you, and not when you really needed it (maybe in the field or hunting, obviously not in PA).

I'm not being a jerk, but I find it a bit comical that you'd cry over the price of a Leupold Rifleman scope. Obviously they're not cheap, but they aren't break the bank either. I did want to warn you that if you think Leupold scopes don't break, especially their lower down line, you may be shocked one of these days. Lots of $1,200+ scopes from Leupold break, or start malfunctioning. So it's a bit unrealistic to think that a $250 scope can't or won't. Sorry, but just like the $250 scopes, the Mark 4's and others are still mechanical devices, and they malfunction. The nice thing is lifetime warranties for manufacturing defects. Good luck to you on your new purchase though.
    Lol, I don't think Leupold scopes, even the "cheaper" ones, are immune to problems. It'd be silly for me to think that. Like you said though, usually more $$$ spent = better quality control. That's what I was hoping when I bought the Leupold. That and the lifetime warranty.

The buy once cry once is just a saying. Obviously there are way more expensive scopes out on the market, and $300 is a pittance in comparison. I didn't mean it literally, just as a figure of speech.

Thank you though!

Lol, I don't think Leupold scopes, even the "cheaper" ones, are immune to problems. It'd be silly for me to think that. Like you said though, usually more $$$ spent = better quality control. That's what I was hoping when I bought the Leupold. That and the lifetime warranty.

The buy once cry once is just a saying. Obviously there are way more expensive scopes out on the market, and $300 is a pittance in comparison. I didn't mean it literally, just as a figure of speech.

Thank you though!
    Ok, good, I'm glad that you didn't think that, and I do know the saying. I just know that scopes really can be a relative thing. There's lots of people that think $300 is WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY too much money to spend on a scope. Obviously you don't think that, or you wouldn't have spent that much. I doubt you'll have any problems, but it still happens. The nice thing is that $250 or more will buy a good reliable scope, that will get the job done. Let us know how the new scope holds up and how you like it. Best of luck.

I'll have a range report when I get to shootin, hopefully Saturday!