Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default I just shot my first IDPA match!

Last night I shot my first IDPA match ever! I was pretty excited to try it out, and it showed by the fact that my excitement got the better of me and I ended up shooting too fast....or "couldn't miss fast enough" as one of the guys running it said. Shooting in the Army/shooting for fun is not really anything like IDPA, since there are a lot of rules to keep in mind. I didn't really expect that, and procedural after procedural kept blasting my points away! I do have to say that it was a lot of fun, though...and I can't wait to get back to PA one day and try out the local PA scene. Just thought I'd share, this will be something I will attempt as often as I can.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: I just shot my first IDPA match!

since there are a lot of rules to keep in mind. I didn't really expect that, and procedural after procedural kept blasting my points away!
    Like what?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Good for you, I have not shot any offical IDPA shoots but have shot a couple 3 gun and Pistol only shoots and i know what you mean. My first stage , I don't even remeber seeing my front sight. That DAMM BUZZER on the timer really ups the pucker factor.

If you don't mind me asking what sort of procedurals did you get hit with ?

p.s. time to buy a 22 conversion or you will go broke practicing.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(York County)

My most common one was shooting two targets side by side with 2 and 2 instead of 1, 2, 1. It's built into me to pull the trigger two times on a target, something I'll have to break. That happened twice, the other one was a move and shoot one handed, I shot too fast, was supposed to get behind cover and shoot the last target, but I shot it while moving to cover.

IDPA are fun, i only shot 6 or 7 matches cause i find them 2 time consuming. I have to drive 40mins + 15.00 + wait 1-2hrs to shoot 50rds.
    too fast to miss thing is so true, even when I setup my own (just me) stage, once the timer beeps, i have to remind myself to get proper sight picture and slice the pie.

(York County)

I agree with you all. After seeing my targets I couldn't believe I had actually hit ANY of them, since I don't remember sighting any of them, and many of them were moving one handed sideways or backwards...something that I can't practice on my range. I guess the fact that I hit any at all attests to the level of practice that I put in a week. I'll be certainly practicing more and trying specific things to get ready for the next one (in two weeks!).

(Perry County)

When you get back to Pa. you may want to check out the IDPA at West Shore Sportsmen (Lewisberry). Sights is the sub-club that runs the IDPA matches at West Shore, nice people. They also have a regular Thurs. night practice there that is very useful for newer shooters. Matches are the first Sun of every month.

I love IDPA. USPSA and IPSC also look like a lot of fun, but there are never any matches near by or they are on days I work so I never tried either one. After reading and studying everything I could get my hands on for the last few years there is one thing I always tell people. You need to have visual patience. Wait that extra split second to see the sight picture before firing and you will most likely hit the target. Most times I miss it's because I didn't wait to see the sights aligned or just shot without looking. A lot of guys are so worried about speed they just start banging. If you practice seeing the proper sight picture enough eventually you will be able to go just as fast and see your sights.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Susquehanna County)

Yeah procedurals are a PIA. Shoot your targets out of sequence, tactical sequence or tactical priority. Fail to use cover correctly. Illegal reloads or reloading in the open if cover is available. Shooting on the move can cause problems too, because you have to continue in motion as you shoot, can't stop to shoot.

And when the match ends you look at the score sheet and see you have actually shot 1.5 minutes for a 5 or 6 stage, 60 round course of fire!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

A suggestion if I may,

Go to the next match with the goal of all shots in the 0 down zone, don't even worry about speed. After that work on improving your speed a little each match, while keeping the points down to a minimum.

Yes, I know that your score won't be at the top, but with practice, you will improve and climb up the ladder (if that is your goal?).

Otto
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast