Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Great find; cerakote in PGH

i don't know how to say this in a nice way...i don't think it's the best looking cerakote i've seen. sorry.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by makabi24 View Post
    I live near UPitt. If you'd like to see the work up close np. I'm not kidding. This guy is a real pro. He told me he would get camo duracoat packages too if anyone was interested.
    I might have to take you up on that. Ive been considering getting some coating done.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    i don't know how to say this in a nice way...i don't think it's the best looking cerakote i've seen. sorry.
    If you're comparing it to a Cerakote job out of the KAC factory for sure not.

1) It's an AK 2) It was $100 3) It was done overnight 4) I just ran it at a class and it held up
    Last edited by makabi24; October 8th, 2010 at 10:51 AM.

(Bucks County)

I'm glad you like it. I think that the question on quality is the amount of overspray on the front of the gas piston, and that you can see the black undercoat. Another coat or two would be good.

(Berks County)

If you're comparing it to a Cerakote job out of the KAC factory for sure not. This is a one-man shop, and compared to the other one-man shops I have had coat my rifles, this is as good or probably better.

Furthermore 1) It's an AK 2) It was $100 3) It was done overnight 4) I just ran it at a class and it held up and exceeded my standards to serious abuse.

Not sure what more you could want from a dutygun, though if you're building a safe queen I would recommend Birdsong Black-T for sure. Go spend $1K and wait 7months.
    I too am glad you like your gun (that's all that really matters), but to be perfectly honest with you - I think you got ripped off. $100 is a hell of a lot for a quick, one color job, and a crappy one at that. There's not even close to enough material on the gun... you can still see through it. It's not done properly either, because it should not have shown that much wear after only one day. Cerakote is some really tough shit. It looks as if your gun was painted with Krylon.

I too could be considered to be a 'one-man shop' when I do side work at home. That doesn't stop me from doing the proper prep work, taking my time and making sure there was enough material on the surface, and following the recommended process for Cerakote application. If I let that gun leave my possession looking like that I think I'd crawl into a hole and hide.

I paint cars for a living. I dunno, maybe I just hold everything to a higher standard because I know exactly how the entire process works and I know how easy it is to produce a 'factory' finish, regardless of what's being painted.

Anyway.. glad you like your gun. I like the way it looks, just not impressed with the quality of the finish the guy put on it..

(Bucks County)

The coating was smooth, thin, properly applied with a good prepping procedure (you can talk to him about it if you're interested), and evenly dispersed everwhere. I was thoroughly impressed and my only qualm is that I don't have a truckload of guns to give him. I will be bringing him my 12G and my Glock when I get them back from my pops.

Just figured I'd pass this reference along for anyone looking for a professional recoat for a great price and customer service.

http://dylanscoatings.com/

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    I'm glad you like it. I think that the question on quality is the amount of overspray on the front of the gas piston, and that you can see the black undercoat. Another coat or two would be good.
    That's carbon from running 1,000 rounds on an AK with an ultimak and not cleaning it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    I too am glad you like your gun (that's all that really matters), but to be perfectly honest with you - I think you got ripped off. $100 is a hell of a lot for a quick, one color job, and a crappy one at that. There's not even close to enough material on the gun... you can still see through it. It's not done properly either, because it should not have shown that much wear after only one day. Cerakote is some really tough shit. It looks as if your gun was painted with Krylon.

I too could be considered to be a 'one-man shop' when I do side work at home. That doesn't stop me from doing the proper prep work, taking my time and making sure there was enough material on the surface, and following the recommended process for Cerakote application. If I let that gun leave my possession looking like that I think I'd crawl into a hole and hide.

I paint cars for a living. I dunno, maybe I just hold everything to a higher standard because I know exactly how the entire process works and I know how easy it is to produce a 'factory' finish, regardless of what's being painted.

Anyway.. glad you like your gun. I like the way it looks, just not impressed with the quality of the finish the guy put on it..
    The black you see is carbon and dirt from a rifle class.
    Last edited by makabi24; October 8th, 2010 at 10:50 AM.

(Allegheny County)

You coming to the group shoot this Sunday?

Lots of us can see it that way.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You coming to the group shoot this Sunday?

Lots of us can see it that way.
    Hmm didn't know there was one. What time is it? Where do you guys post this kind of stuff? I just moved up here, joined PMSC the last meeting, and am still getting situated. I'd definitely like to come by. Saturdays are my shooting days. I typically reserve Sundays, especially the mornings, for other things.

ETA: Found the info on the group/shoots section. Probably not this Sunday morning. I'll stay ontop of the listings and will try and make it out to the next one with a good lead time. Seems like a nice time. I used to shoot at PMSC sometimes when I lived in PGH a few years ago. Good people, nice place. I was a fan of Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club too, but read what transpired since I left. Darn shame. That's good property.
    Last edited by makabi24; October 7th, 2010 at 11:42 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast