Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trunk guns!

(Delaware County)

Default Trunk guns!

Anybody keep a gun in their trunk? What're the legalities surrounding such a thing?

I do have a carry permit, if that counts for anything.
    --Jordan K
    Nurse Aide, Havertonian, Student, Heavy Lifter

"Proper gun safety starts by being completely unwilling to do stupid sh.t for the lulz." --anonymous, 4chan.org

Default Re: Trunk guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeyhoagie View Post
    Anybody keep a gun in their trunk? What're the legalities surrounding such a thing?

I do have a carry permit, if that counts for anything.
    carry permit has no bearing on rifles, so the rifle can not be loaded, I have heard conflicting stories on if you can have a rifle in your car at anytime with a LTCF or if you still have to be going to the range, gunsmith or something along those lines.. But the rifle still can't be loaded.

(Allegheny County)

I often carry loaded magazines in my truck. But the actual rifle is never loaded in the truck. Perfectly legal so I'm told.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Luzerne County)

Nothing illegal about carrying an unloaded rifle or shotgun in the vehicle. However, with the frequency of vehicle break ins at mall's etc.....I would never be out of sight of my vehicle.

(Westmoreland County)

Might be a stupid question but why no loaded rifle/shotgun in the vehicle with a CCP?
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    Might be a stupid question but why no loaded rifle/shotgun in the vehicle with a CCP?
    its not a CCP, its a LTCF.. rifles and shotguns are not firearms in PA.. you can carry nfa items such as SBR, and SBS because they fall nto the firearms catagory i believe.. but have fun with that in a civil court

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Nothing illegal about carrying an unloaded rifle or shotgun in the vehicle. However, with the frequency of vehicle break ins at mall's etc.....I would never be out of sight of my vehicle.
    Very wise advice, I don't keep guns in my car only transport them to where I'm going to use them (range etc.).

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    Have you trying swinging a rifle or shotgun inside a vehicle?

Legislators felt that one has little value to defense, both tactically and legally, while in a vehicle since you really cant bring the weapon to bear. If you're in your vehicle, you have a means to retreat before using the longarm. If you're outside your vehicle and retreat to retrieve the firearm, the moment you enter your vehicle you have a means to retreat before using deadly force-thus making the need to have a loaded longarm null. If you retreat to get a firearm, then re-engage with a firearm you obtained- you violate the requirement of fleeing before using force(note: there are times when fleeing isn't required).

Proof of the legislators' intent on valued use in defense is in the retention of allowing SBR's and SBS's because they can be wielded within closed quarters and can be concealed to some degree.

There is also the legislators' and game commission's siding on the protecting game from being poached.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 6th, 2007 at 09:31 PM.

(Cambria County)

I would be leary about carrying it in the open inside my car. But what about in your trunk, or in a lock box mounted to the floor of the back of your SUV. It would be nice to carry a shotgun or one of my older AK's in the trunk, mounted to a secure mount. (Like you see on the movies for lack of better discription)

This would be nice for the day the zombies show up and your at work. http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...ly-happen.html

Or maybe your visiting or working in Pittsburgh when things go badly. http://www.pafoa.org/forum/allegheny...tsburgh-o.html

Carrying a long gun in the trunk just might come in handy one day. What if your stuck in traffic or roads are impassable, and you have to move out on foot. A long gun would be nice to have then. Is there a good way to carry one safely.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

if you have the chance to get to your car and load up, you should have the chance to get in and get the hell outta dodge...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast