Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 77 of 79 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879 LastLast

Default Re: Hassled at the polls for OCing

Good luck tomorrow Gnbrotz!!!
    We are behind you all the way!!!
    mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Washington County)

Even though it looks like this thing is in the bag, between the statements from both the Sheriff and the DA, I just wanted to say good luck tomorrow!

Make us all proud! That includes you Greg, as well as everyone who's there to support you

Best of Luck, Greg.
    My thoughts are with you.

Rick

(Lehigh County)

Good Luck man, take back what is rightfully yours

good luck, hopefully they dont continue it or some crap like that and you get justice tomorrow.

(Franklin County)

Posted under fair use
    ----------------------------------
    New sheriff prepares for gun activists
    By JIM HOOK Senior writer

Franklin County Sheriff Dane Anthony has an action-packed second day on the job.

Visitors packing handguns are expected to join the usual crowd for Central Court. A hearing for a gun rights advocate whose carrying permit was revoked by the now-former sheriff may draw more than a dozen "right to carry" supporters from across Pennsylvania.

The new county sheriff is responsible for security at the courthouse.

The hearing for Greg Rotz, Chambersburg, is set for 2 p.m. in front of Franklin County President Judge John R. Walker in Courtroom One. Central Court lists about 60 cases today.

In November, then-Sheriff Robert Wollyung revoked Rotz's permit to carry a concealed firearm after Rotz wore it openly to the New Franklin polling place on Election Day and exchanged words with a constable. The constable had asked Rotz to secure the gun in his vehicle and Rotz would not. Rotz appealed the revocation.

Rotz's plight has been a hot topic on several Internet discussion groups. Gun rights advocates have raised about $3,000 toward Rotz's legal fees.

Rotz has said he is trying to right a wrong.

Wollyung has contended that Rotz's actions on Nov. 6 violated at least the spirit of the law for harassment and disorderly conduct.

"I know very little about the case," Anthony said. "I didn't personally revoke his handgun permit. The attorneys can hash it out. We'll see what that brings. The outcome will determine what my next move will be."

Anthony said he and Pat Redding, the solicitor for his office, will attend the hearing.

"I have not talked to Bob Wollyung," Anthony said. "My primary concern is the safety of employees in the courthouse."

Sheriff's deputies and employees will be checking visitors to the courthouse. All visitors pass through the metal detector on the first floor. Their bags are X-rayed.

"Obviously we're going to have to tighten security a little bit," Anthony said. "The public is allowed to come to the courthouse. I don't know how many will appear (for this hearing). They will not be entering the courthouse with weapons."

Visitors who arrive with handguns will be asked to secure the weapon in their vehicles or at their homes and return to the courthouse, Anthony said. "Or they will have to surrender them to us and they will be returned at the end of the day."

"I don't anticipate any problems," Anthony said. "I think these people will be professional about it and will understand that they can't enter the courthouse with a weapon."

Anthony and his sergeant will help the two employees who usually manage the courthouse entrance, Anthony said.

"They are going to be swamped at the metal detector," Anthony said. "It's a very busy day, anyway. With this it's just going to be busier."

----------

Jim Hook can be reached at 262-4759 or jhook@publicopinionnews.com.
    Link to article

Link to online comments
    Last edited by gnbrotz; January 8th, 2008 at 05:25 AM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Why do I get the feeling that Greg is having trouble sleeping...

Maybe becasue he's posting to his thread at 4:30am

I'll see you later today, Greg... I'm looking forward to meeting you

(Franklin County)

Nah....I'm posting in my sleep!
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Blair County)

though i will not be there in person,i will be thinking of you , i wish you all the best today .
    I just flew the Millennium Falcon through the hole in your logic 2A6X1

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    That only works if you win.

I have been to about a thousand hearings of various kinds, and about 80% of them go pretty much as expected. That means about 200 of them did not. Having "the law and the facts on your side" is often a matter of point-of-view, and many is the righteous litigant and learned counsel who wound up sitting at a lunch counter trying to figure out what went wrong.

Someone on this board asked if anyone is excited about this. I am. I'm the same kind of excited as one is trying to walk out of a mine field.

I hope everyone reads gunlawyer001's post carefully, and that there is a lot of intra-group discipline. It only takes two or three jerks or nut-cases to make everyone look bad; and if they don't come with your group, the govenment has been known to supply them.

Personally, I don't see the advantage of having anyone carry a firearm to this proceeding, open or otherwise. You are complicating your logistics, and opening the door to all manner of rather serious problem. Nobody can accuse you of irresponsible gun handling if you aren't handling a gun.

If nobody has a gun and the case is won, that is what people will remember. If some a---ole is photographed with a gun in his hand (as, for example, clearing the weapon preparatory to putting it in his car), that is what people will remember. And if there is any kind of an incident, I expect Gov. Rendell will have the resources to exploit it toward restrictive legislation.

Excited? I'm holding my breath.
    The wise voice of reason. Excellent post!!!
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 77 of 79 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879 LastLast