Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ruger P95 need help!

Took her out to the range last Friday after work, used Winchester 115 9MM target rounds. At 10 yards free standing, 38 out of 46 rounds were center mass, but they were hitting pretty low (3 1/2" groups though) by at least 8 inches or so. 18 of those shots were in the center box as I began to compensate for all the low shots by aiming higher. Balled up the target paper and tossed it I was so disappointed. Someone else at the range tried it, with pretty much the same results (did comment on how big the pistol felt -he was shooting a Kel-tec compact and how little felt recoil there was).

I gave the gun a good cleaning (which I admittedly hadn't done before taking it out), and am going to concentrate on my stance to narrow the groups further, and this time circle each 6 round group (am shooting at a PGC range until my membership paperwork goes through at the private club).

The gun doesnt have that much kick, and I can keep it on target pretty well. My only concern now is that maybe it shoots low (three dot novak sight). It is only adjustable for windage.

So I am asking if anyone here knows of or can recommend rear sights that are adjustable for elevation? And wont cost much!
    Last edited by spacemanvic; September 30th, 2010 at 01:05 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Ruger P95 need help!

Shoot it from a rest before you try to work on the elevation. It is most likely a shooter issue, not a pistol issue. Try some other ammo as well.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Centre County)

Definitely shoot it from a rest to see what it is doing. Also, what is your sight picture, your point of aim? When the 3 dots are aligned, where is the center of the target? Are you using a six o'clock hold (bottom of bullseye or aiming point is just touching the top of the dot or sight) or are you putting the center dot of the sights right on the center of the target? Many people were/are taught the six o'clock sighting method and the sights are set for that. Most new guns with the 3 dot sights are set so that you align the sights and put the center dot where you want the bullet to go (point of impact).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Well, Ive lined up all three dots, and tried firing on the target in front of the middle dot, as well as resting the impact point just above all three dots. Had to line up all three dots a little above the bullseye mark in order to get the rounds into the center box.

I'll try firing from a rest and see how that goes.....

(Northampton County)

Also try heavier weight bullets - they will hit closer to POA, IF the lighter ones are hitting low.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Monroe County)

Before you do anything try what 32 mag said, try a heavier bullet , guaranteed you be dead on if you try some 124-5 grain bullets, i have the same problem my Glock 17 shoots about 5 inches high with 124 grn speer gd but is dead on with 115 grn Triton quickshocks.

REmember heavier bullets stay in the barrel a little longer so they hit a little gigher., try that.

Nyman

OK, went back to the range today, shooting results were much much better. I fired 50 Win 115gr and 50 Federal 124gr. I fired both types from a rest, and the pistol is very much spot on. No bullseyes, but all shots were center box. I then returned to free standing (both at 10yds) and hit center box and BE 3 times.

I focused on my grip, used standard weaver stance. One thing that did happen though, was towards the end, the pistol wouldnt completely cycle. It also would not stay open on last round, or would fail to eject, or would fail to feed as a live round would stove pipe (Id have to remove the magazine to clear the jam) or the slide would only slide half it's travel. Also noticed, the ammo was very dirty, lots of fouling in the barrel and around the extractor/firing pin. I can cycle the pistol manually with snap caps and it works fine, even when I ratchet it back to empty and it stays open. Am leaning towards limp wristing the pistol as being the culprit, but wouldnt my aim be off by then too? My shooting seemed to have improved towards the end of my range time.

Anybody have a guess what it could be (is it limpwristing or is there a problem with the Ruger) that is causing all my issues with firing and cycling the slide and locking the slide on an empty magazine?

(Monroe County)

Yes , this always happen towards the end, towards the end your arms are getting a little tired , your concentration is a little off so you started to limp wrist a little so that leads to all the problems you described.

Next time that happens, STOP and rest a little, drink some water, walk around a little and shoot the breeze with other shooters then get back to shooting and see if the problems go away.

Also be reminded that the P95 doesnt uses a steel rail like a Glock or a Smith or a Kahr uses, its metal to plastic not metal to metal so be careful to use a light grease on it the plastic rail at all times when the gun gets hot it is very binding (the plastic is)