Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Voted!

(Allegheny County)

Default I Voted!

For many years I did not vote. I figured all candidates were just as bad. I started as a one issue voter and figure that if I did not make my choice I should not have a right to bitch about who is in office.

I came up with an idea a while ago that simply says: " You have to earn the right to bitch." Meaning that if you sit around and do nothing than you have no right to complain about what is going on. If you are putting forth an effort to change what you don't like, then you can bitch about it.

I feel good that I voted today.

Default Re: I Voted!

Well for you die hards who just need to know every second what is happening, I found you this website:
    http://www.electionpa.com/
    where as of 8:13 only partial results so far are for Lawrence County.

They claim to have live results through out the day, we will see...
    The ineternet is such a wonderful thing.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Westmoreland County)

I got to my polling station at 6:45 and no one was there. Finally at 7:10 an older gentlemen came out to tell me that the polls were not working and that I should come back. I declined and waited until 7:45 and finally they opened the doors and said I could "try voting" but they weren't sure.

The election worker gave me a ticket stub before I voted and then I made my way to the touchscreens. I made my votes and didn't vote on retention of some judges. There was no way to verify my vote on paper.

All-in-all, I have no confidence that my vote will be recorded properly. I have no faith in electronic, non verifiable voting machines.

I'm a little disappointed. I *really* have no confidence in the method and process which was used.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    All-in-all, I have no confidence that my vote will be recorded properly. I have no faith in electronic, non verifiable voting machines.

I'm a little disappointed. I *really* have no confidence in the method and process which was used.
    Except when I voted by absentee ballot I have never gotten any type of verification that my vote was counted, so I really don't see any difference from the old machines and the newer electronic touchscreens. Never had a paper ballot at any time that I voted in Pa. and I've been voting steadily for 30 years.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Philadelphia County)

I only voted for the Justice of the Supreme Ct. and the Superior Ct. positions. I didn't know enough about the rest to make a vote and I also didn't do the judicial retention.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    I got to my polling station at 6:45 and no one was there. Finally at 7:10 an older gentlemen came out to tell me that the polls were not working and that I should come back. I declined and waited until 7:45 and finally they opened the doors and said I could "try voting" but they weren't sure.

The election worker gave me a ticket stub before I voted and then I made my way to the touchscreens. I made my votes and didn't vote on retention of some judges. There was no way to verify my vote on paper.

i am a judge of election at the polls, i go to the training courses they have on the new machines, and i can verify, most of the poll workers are, in fact, at least mildly retarded. next time i would get the number for the county board of elections and call them if your having these problems, at the least, they'll send someone to straighten them out that knows how the machines work.

our county has the electronic one too, as far as a paper trail, the machine has a "0's sheet" printed in the morning, to verify there are no votes on before the election we are there to oversee the machines all day, and at the end of the night there is a final tally receipt that comes out w/ all the totals, like a register recipt, so there is actual record of what was voted, for any malfescence, the local election board themselves would have to tamper w/ the machine, and i dont think most are capible, frankly. so, barring actuall machine problems/glitches, it should be pretty secure.

your county may vary, though

(Montgomery County)

I would love to see a voting receipt. Something in my hand right after i push the vote button. It would make me feel much better and if it was wrong then I should be able to address it and have the vote nullified (while still at the booth in question) and then re-vote. If it's still wrong then you know there's an error with the machine. My guess these things work >99%+ of the time. I doubt there are too many issues ever with these things...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Except when I voted by absentee ballot I have never gotten any type of verification that my vote was counted, so I really don't see any difference from the old machines and the newer electronic touchscreens. Never had a paper ballot at any time that I voted in Pa. and I've been voting steadily for 30 years.
    I too always voted by absentee ballot. From what I understand absentee ballot are not even opened unless the vote difference between the two candidates is less than the number of absentee ballots. Not sure if its true - just what I heard / read / dreamed somewhere.

Anyway - for the time in maybe 20 years I did not vote. Not even by absentee ballot. Don't know why but this year I just don't care anymore. Hope for my sake its a short term funk but.......

(Chester County)

I don't like the machines either. I like seeing and knowing that my vote was recorded right. At least where I come from, you got a paper ballot, marked it in the ovals with a special pen (black felt tip), and deposit it in a machine that read it. No one touches it till the end of the night when they gather them all up. Also, polls opened up at 6 and didn't close till 7 either. What's up with the opening at 7? Oh well. Once Bill gets home, we'll go vote together.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Well for you die hards who just need to know every second what is happening, I found you this website:
    http://www.electionpa.com/
    where as of 8:13 only partial results so far are for Lawrence County.

They claim to have live results through out the day, we will see...
    The ineternet is such a wonderful thing.
    Just checked the LIVE election results, looks like they're a little behind. I'll check again later.

UNOFFICIAL CUMULATIVE GENERAL ELECTION RESULTS
    NOV 7th, 2006
    GOVERNOR AND LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR
    Vote for NOT MORE THAN 1
    ED RENDELL (DEM) . . . . . . . . 17,557 55.01
    LYNN SWANN (REP) . . . . . . . . 14,329 44.89
    WRITE-IN. . . . . . . . . . . 32 .10

This site might be newer. http://www.electionreturns.state.pa.us/
    Last edited by DaveM55; November 6th, 2007 at 01:57 PM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast