Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Rifle

(York County)

Default Defensive Rifle

I recently read an article about Rock River Arms (RRA) and one of their newest offerings in 'defensive rifles'. I saw a picture with an advertisement in the same magazine showing a man shouldering his AR-15 and investigating a 'bump in the night' while his wife is looking scared in the background on the phone. Intersting because I had not seen an ad like that before with the defensive use of a rifle.

I am just curious, how many people utilize a rifle as your home defense weapon of choice?

For me and my level of training, I simply could not use a rifle effectively for home defense.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Defensive Rifle

Yup.. There is a loaded AR15 right behind the bedroom door, a Winny '94 Trapper 45Colt downstairs in a corner behind a chair, a Marlin 1893 .32Spl in the spare room.

Most of my other files are single shots, so I'd only go to them in the event of having to shoot zombies at afar.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUSCG View Post

For me and my level of training, I simply could not use a rifle effectively for home defense.
    So you feel that a pistol is easier to defend your home with, with less training? I really think that is off. Could you explain why you feel this way?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRookie View Post
    So you feel that a pistol is easier to defend your home with, with less training?

No. Not with 'less training'. I simply have a much higher level of training and experience with both shotgun and pistol. My comfort level lies within my training parameters.

(Delaware County)

My house is all corners and doorways, I'd use a pistol to take advantage of the greater maneuverability. If I had a house that had a more open floor plan, or long straight hallways, I might use a rifle. Greater capacity, higher power weapon, more intimidating... Lot's of advantages.

(Northumberland County)

The main reason i bought my Bushmaster is for home defense, I wanted a RRA but couldnt find one at the time that was March 2009. I prefer the Ar15 over the Shotgun, My Ar15 is locked up during the day and before i go to bed every nite i take it out of my safe and put it next to my nighstand.

Sometimes i rotate it with my RIA 1911 .45acp and my SR9.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Helter View Post
    My house is all corners and doorways, I'd use a pistol to take advantage of the greater maneuverability. If I had a house that had a more open floor plan, or long straight hallways, I might use a rifle. Greater capacity, higher power weapon, more intimidating... Lot's of advantages.
    I think that is one of my hang-ups as well. My home does not lend itself well to close quarters work.

(Lancaster County)

My place is also tight quarters with a long hallway. We keep both pistol and shotgun readily available for defense situations.

Sits by the bed, That's the door from my bed.

(Lancaster County)

Currently for me it's a Marlin 336 .30-30. I'm still waiting on my NYS pistol license (have to have it even to have a pistol in state AT ALL...stupid, stupid, STUPID law) or I'd have that in addition to it. The Marlin handles quick, 100% reliable, can stop anything up to and including grizzly bear if it had to so anything less than that is a piece of cake, and is 100% politically squeaky clean so if I ever had to use it a juror would think hunter or horse rider and not Rambo.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast