Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default New PA resident with Concealed permit questions

I recently moved to York County PA from Michigan where I was a detective. I am no longer involved in Law Enforcement, however still carry a handgun. I went through the hangun permit process with the Sherrif Dept. here and have my permit. I was a little surprised that I wasn't given any literature/direction/advice about where I can and can't carry and what the specific rules/laws are. Like can I carry within a bank, church, school, or at a concert. Michigan has rules that govern these things for civilian permit holders. Also what are the rules on carrying Tasers in PA? I would like to know beforre I am unknowingly in violation. I want to abide by the law. I am used to carrying everywhere and not being governed by these rules.

I am looking for a good website that outlines concealed carry laws as they pertain to Pennsylvania. Also what do people do for adjoining states like Maryland? I think I can apply for a MD permit being a PA resident, but what about Delaware N.J. or N.Y. When I travel with my family I certainly am not wild about disarming myself. I am looking for some advice or thoughts on what others do. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Default Re: New PA resident with Concealed permit questions

The stickies are a good place to start.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by SSpinner View Post
    Like can I carry within a bank, church, school, or at a concert.
    Please check the stickies at the top of the forum. And understand the law. Then ask questions. If you are not sure, don't do it.

I carry openly on my hip when I go to the bank. No prohibitions on carry in churches, concerts, public meetings, police stations, township meetings, etc.

The common ones are:

Federal law - post offices and federal buildings commonly occupied by federal employees performing their federal duties

Schools (not including colleges) - You're going to have to look into this yourself. Until then, don't go on the property.

Courts - must be posted with signs and must have lockers to lock up your gun when you go in. Tell security you have a firearm to check. Statehouse in Harrisburg is the same, must check your firearm.

State Parks (did I get that right?) - Must conceal and be legal to conceal.

Detention facilities - could be inside a police station, so be careful carrying into police stations or any other place there might be a detention facility.

Also what are the rules on carrying Tasers in PA? I would like to know before I am unknowingly in violation. I want to abide by the law. I am used to carrying everywhere and not being governed by these rules.
    More complicated. Do your research on that one.

(Jefferson County)

I recently moved to York County PA from Michigan where I was a detective. I am no longer involved in Law Enforcement, however still carry a handgun. I went through the hangun permit process with the Sherrif Dept. here and have my permit. I was a little surprised that I wasn't given any literature/direction/advice about where I can and can't carry and what the specific rules/laws are. Like can I carry within a bank, church, school, or at a concert. Michigan has rules that govern these things for civilian permit holders. Also what are the rules on carrying Tasers in PA? I would like to know beforre I am unknowingly in violation. I want to abide by the law. I am used to carrying everywhere and not being governed by these rules.

I am looking for a good website that outlines concealed carry laws as they pertain to Pennsylvania. Also what do people do for adjoining states like Maryland? I think I can apply for a MD permit being a PA resident, but what about Delaware N.J. or N.Y. When I travel with my family I certainly am not wild about disarming myself. I am looking for some advice or thoughts on what others do. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You can apply for a NJ and MD permit, but you will not get one. NY does not issue to non-residents. And in NY you must have a NYS or NYC license to merely touch an handgun - so never ever take a gun to NY unless you fall under one of NYS's provisions for certain sporting activities.

You can travel through NY, NJ, and MD under federal provisions.

PA's off-limits places was already posted in a link provided in a post above. Your LTCF covers "firearms" which are handguns with barrels less than 15", short barreled shotguns, and short barreled rifles.

That LTCF allows you to conceal your firearm throughout the state, to transport them in a vehicle, to carry a "firearm", rifle, or shotgun in a City of the First Class(Philly) or during a declared state of emergency.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

I don't believe it has been said yet, so welcome to PAFOA, welcome to PA, and welcome to York County.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Thanks.
    Welcome to Pennsylvania. If you're a Wolverine Fan, turn around and head back!!! Just kidding!!!

Oh, also, welcome to being a US Citizen and not one of the Elite. Its a hell of a ride coming back down to earth and follow ridiculous restrictions and gun free zones. I hope you fall from grace, gracefully as you become a mortal.

Ok, I'll be short and to the point....NOT! Pennsylvania Sheriffs as well as PA Law does not have any mention of Concealed Weapon Permits or Concealed Carry anything. The correct terminology is License to Carry Firearms (LTCF). Its an important legal distinction, which as you look around the site, you'll discover.

Forget Concealed Carry in Maryland, New Jersey, New York, or Delaware in conjunction with a PA LTCF. Its like going into Illinios or Wisconsin...Death to anyone who carries a firearm for protection. Delaware is an open carry and concealed carry state but does not have an agreement with PA. Many PA residents obtain a FLORIDA Concealed Carry PERMIT which is recognized in Delaware.

You may carry concealed or openly at church, banks, & Concerts and damn near anywhere else unless asked not to, property rights outweigh your 2A rights but you may be asked to leave. You must refuse before LE can take action against you. Literally, the jury is out on whether or not its legal to carry on school grounds and unless you wish to be the State Test Case as case law on a portion of a poorly written exemption portion of the law, best not to carry on grounds owned by school districts for K-12. College's and other higher educational facilities are not restricted by law, only by policy and don't apply as a non-student/staff.

Yes, you may legally carry and consume alcohol. In fact, you can get snot snickered drunk in a bar, restuarant or backyard BBQ but its not a recommended activity.

Courtrooms, federal buildings/property, schools are pretty much the biggies. I'm sure others will chime in and add to the list but those are the most important ones.

Oh yeah, you can only carry concealed in state Parks. State forests its carry how you wish, same with federal parks, forests, monuments, and historical sites.

Enjoy, good luck, have fun and Be safe out there!

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; September 27th, 2010 at 01:25 PM.

(York County)

So are you saying that as long as my final destination isn't N.Y., N.J. or M.D. I can drive through the state with my firearm in my vehicle?

(Jefferson County)

So are you saying that as long as my final destination isn't N.Y., N.J. or M.D. I can drive through the state with my firearm in my vehicle?
    Yes. Federal law, specifically the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 protects people when they cross unfriendly states, provided that you have the gun unloaded, ammo separate, gun in a secure case, and gun locked in trunk or with vehicles without a truck, in a place far from the occupants and not readily accessible .

FOPA = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm...Protection_Act
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Yes, in Theory. However, be advised, hunters and gun enthusists have been arrested, tried, and convicted of state felony firearm laws while traveling through MD, NJ, and NY and was not their end destination all while following federal firearm transportation laws.

(York County)

Thanks for the response "customloaded". Very informative. I can appreciate the "fall from grace" comment too. I was in Law Enforcement for quite a while and not all of us were there for the right reasons and were not exactly the best ambassadors for the career. I met some of the best and worst people ever. I guess much like any other job. Some of the sane ones leave rather than retire. Also just for the record I am a Spartan and not one of the despised Wolverines.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast