Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Newbie single barrel question...

OK so first let me say this by saying I am a total shotgun newb.. i know nothing on these fire arms, I own several riffles and pistols but not shotguns...

I recently picked up a old but serviceable single barrel 12ga at a flea market. Its a Keystone Arms Co shotgun. Any tips on how (if at all) disassemble happens on this thing? from what I see there are no exposed screws etc to aid in any take down. Is that not possible?

I hate feeling clueless with a firearm, if this was a K98 it would have been down to springs and screws by now...

Thanks

Default Re: Newbie single barrel question...

Quote Originally Posted by JeeperSean View Post
    OK so first let me say this by saying I am a total shotgun newb.. i know nothing on these fire arms, I own several riffles and pistols but not shotguns...

I recently picked up a old but serviceable single barrel 12ga at a flea market. Its a Keystone Arms Co shotgun. Any tips on how (if at all) disassemble happens on this thing? from what I see there are no exposed screws etc to aid in any take down. Is that not possible?

I hate feeling clueless with a firearm, if this was a K98 it would have been down to springs and screws by now...

Thanks
    While I am not familiar with that EXACT single bbl, I have had several others. While holding the barrel to the ceiling, pry outward and down on the end of the forearm nearest the muzzle. The forearm should come off. Then, move whatever lever you use to open the action and "unhook" the barrel from the action. Put back together in reverse.
    Jules

(Northampton County)

+1 to AR15Jules' post.
    If you see a sliding button or lever underneath, or a push button at the muzzle end of the forend, that's a latch (unlikely on your Keystone - trade name for shotguns made by Tryon in Philadelphia). If there's no latch, pull down on the front of the forend and it will come off. Open the action and the barrel will separate from the receiver. It's not usually advisable to disassemble this type of gun any further than this.

(Northampton County)

OK thanks guys that seems to make sense. The forend didn't want to come easy so maybe tomorrow ill get on it with a plastic pry bar and see if i can get it to pop without too much more force, while this is only a flea market find I still don't want to mess it up too much.

(Northampton County)

OK also, now having some more info about it, as Surbat6 told me Tyron trade name situation. I looked around some and it seems I'm not sure of the age of this thing. Most info I can find says that commercial long guns prior to the 1968 gun laws didn't sport many serial numbers, is this true? If so, then this gun is at least that new as it has a serial number (good for me). Do you all think this is safe to shoot? Should I do the tie it to a tree and shoot it with string deal first?

(Northampton County)

Your shotgun probably dates between 1880 and 1920. A photo might help date it. If there's no serial number, it is certainly pre-1968 (the 1968 GCA required serial numbers on all guns manufactured after it went into effect).

(Northampton County)

It does have a serial # A489XXX, here are some pictures,

(Northampton County)

Looks like an early 1900's to 1930s type SB. MANY US manufacturers, in fact it was more the rule than not, during that time period applied what we consider serial numbers on their firearms. Yours appears to have a "splinter" type fore arm - which should pull off - apply downward pressure at the tip of the fore arm, it SHOULD release unless the friction catch is rusted in place to the barrel stud. Can you post a close up of the left side of the receiver? Tryon made some high quality doubles SxS. This may be a piece made by another manufacturer for them...?
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.