Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Angry Out of stock sales!

I bought a set of Hogue grips (http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...oducts_id=1325) for my new Smith and Wesson 617 from Optics Planet only to find out the item is out of stock.

I went with Optics Planet because, while their sight navigation sucks, if you know what you want, they have a massive inventory, and I have had positive experiences in the past.

However, nothing drives me nuts more than when a company doesn't tell you an item is out of stock until you have already made your order. Sure they offer to let me switch items up and probably cancel but seeing as I got the grips with free shipping and an additional percentage off (internet coupon code), I think I am just going to have to wait this storm out.

Additionally, they do not charge your card until the item ships so I guess that is also a good thing. This is not specifically against Optics Planet (they just happen to be the example). I just hate not knowing I am buying something out of stock or that is special order without any forewarning.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Out of stock sales!

Yep. The best sites are the ones that list current in-stock inventory next to every item. It's rare (SG Ammo does it for example), but it's awesome.

(Montgomery County)

hate to say it but thats what you get for buying online instead of supporting your local shop, sure you get a better deal but now look what your dealing with!

I used to work in retail and the internet nearly put us out of business.
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

(Lancaster County)

I've used OpticsPlanet several times with great success. As mentioned, they have a massive inventory, and I think that's the source of the occasional problem. Once in a while, when something is out of stock, the inventory software may indicate remaining stock. At the end of the day, a human is likely responsible for writing down the wrong cycle count number, or a box of 25 holsters was short one, etc. I know that doesn't prevent the frustration of the evil "out of stock" email that you didn't anticipate, but it's just the reality of eCommerce, and commerce in general.

Don't forget to use a coupon when you order from OpticsPlanet. I use a site (www.tjoos.com) to search for online coupons before placing my orders. Currently, "bx5md9t4" will get you a 5% discount off your total. Not too bad for a free coupon.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cmr076 View Post
    hate to say it but thats what you get for buying online instead of supporting your local shop, sure you get a better deal but now look what your dealing with!

I buy local if I'm buying more than a product (knowledge, service, training, etc.). All those things that an anonymous online site can't offer. But let's be honest... if I'm shopping for ammo, for example, I don't need any of the extra support because I know what I want. So it'd be crazy for me to burn gas driving to a brick & mortar store to pay higher prices plus tax often while dealing with surly staff. For local retail to survive it has to offer more than online stores can. It has to adapt.

(Northampton County)

I haven't used Optics Planet since around 2004 but they've had this problem back to 2000. The last few times I used them I called to confirm the stock and shipping status of the item I wanted. IIRC, the items I wanted were always drop shipped so they had to check with the people who actually had the product to see if it was in stock and call me back.

(Bucks County)

While I am a firm believer in supporting local business (or maybe I just want things immediately), nobody even remotely locally stocks the grip I want.

The store I bought the gun from only stocks rubber wrap around grips (which it already comes with).

Then there is the added frustration of finding round butt to square butt conversion grips.

If you can find the grip I linked to locally and prove me wrong, you are a better man than I am.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by cmr076 View Post