Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default How Do I Make Picture Frames?

I've spent more than $100 on frames, and it looks like I can spend hundreds more, because I like pictures. I got pictures all over my room, and if the frames weren't so expensive I'd put them all over my folks house so I think I need to start making my own frames. Is it possible for me to do this on my own, and if so can anybody tell me what I'll need and how?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How Do I Make Picture Frames?

All you really NEED is a miter saw of some sort and the willingness to try new things.

My dad has made a few from door molding (right term?) or other scrap wood. You also might want to get some stuff to matte your pictures while you are at it.

Check out a craft or framing store to get some more info.

~Brian

(Allegheny County)

Here is a way to make some complex problems (http://www.knottyplans.com/index.php?page=200421)

This is a nice text based site (http://www.ehow.com/how_18709_make-wood-picture.html)

I like this as well (http://www.rockler.com/articles/fram...m?cookietest=1)

Actually, I am starting to get pumped up too...

Very possible, but you *will* need some woodworking tools, basic skills and a work area. My grandfather made all of his frames, which apparently is a unique design. I found quite a few in various stages of assembly, so I was able to recover the process. You can see one of the early ones I made >here< on the bottom right. We found it appropriate that the first one I successfully cranked out should frame the person that came up with the design.

You'll need to master several basic skills first. In no particular order:
    • Measurement
    • Basic woodworking
    • Making mitered joints to a high degree of accuracy.
    • Making "L" shaped stock similar to rabbeting - a table saw works best, a router can do it, too.
    • Setting points (smallholding nails) in wood
    • Staining & finishing to suit your taste
    • Glasscutting, or having a source of custom glass pane sizes
    • Matting
    • Picture frame jig, bought or made (example 1 - example 2 - more)
    Start with softer, cheaper woods until you perfect your technique. I used 2x4s that I slit with a bandsaw until I got the hang of it.

It is possible to make frames without precision mitering (example), although it won't have the clean symmetrical look of conventional frames.

Word of Warning: if you get good results, you'll be dogged for more frames from your family. With a perceived endless supply of frames, there'll be a demand for pictures in turn triggering a demand for yet more frames. Think ahead.

(Allegheny County)

Personally, I've never been good at handy sorts of things, but I am on the crafty side.

What I usually do to save money on frames is buy some cheapies at the dollar store, then paint and add accents and such. My entire room is blue, so I've painted all my frames (wooden and plastic) in a darker accent blue. All in all, just changing the color and style is much cheaper and more personalized.
    Last edited by slicknick131; November 4th, 2007 at 06:45 PM.
    "Pride and dignity are good, but only in moderation." P-11 Shooter

(Allegheny County)

Oh

and hit up garage sales to buy as many frames as you can! Most can be painted or tweaked and it is cheap and easy. building your own is fun, but I'd rather just grab a few old ones....

~B

(Berks County)

Hey Willtallica,

I buy my picture frames at the dollar store just like slicknick131. They come in a variety of sizes, shapes and styles. Go check them out when you can.

rand

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    Oh

and hit up garage sales to buy as many frames as you can! Most can be painted or tweaked and it is cheap and easy. building your own is fun, but I'd rather just grab a few old ones....~B
    This is excellent advice.
    Between my wife, my mother and my daughter, I have had several requests for picture frames of all sizes and styles. I've found boxes full of them for under $5.00 for the whole box, some I've felt bad about and gave more than the asking price. There is some real nice wood and good craftsmanship being practically given away at yard sales and flea markets. (There's a lot of junk too). The outdoor shopping season is about over for this year, but trust me, there's a lot to choose from when the season is in full swing. And if you think it depends on the area, you're in a real good location, I'm just a few miles down the road from you and I know that I've seen enough to keep you happy for less than it would cost to buy the basic tools.
    Good luck.

(Centre County)

Aside from the garage sale deals, WalMart has the best prices on quality wood 8x10 frames. At $3 each, you can't make 'em yourself any cheaper than that.

(Lebanon County)

I've seen some nice frames on people's lawns, and I've thought about that. I just never bothered, but then again I'm after poster size frames: 20 - 36 X the same, and they're always on the smaller side. I'll go check out these 1$ store frames at this place right by me at work. In a way though I wouldn't mind the hassle of making my own, because I love craftsmanship, and so I'd enjoy hacking up my first frames to gain a technique, but I aint got the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast