Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default Need a little help

A couple of weeks ago I asked my school where I could find their policy about firearms on campus and promptly received the reply

No one is allowed to carry a weapon on campus. The PCOM General Student Handbook policy on carrying weapons is as follows:

POLICY ON THE POSSESSION OF DANGEROUS ARTICLES

It is the policy of to provide a safe work environment for our students and employees. We are committed to providing a work and learning environment free from dangerous articles of any kind.
    Possession of firearms on the PCOM campus is strictly forbidden. Faculty, students, employees or visitors may not possess or use firearms, ammunition, knives and other weapons, gunpowder, fireworks, explosives, gasoline and other dangerous articles and substances on college property. Normal laboratory materials are excluded from this policy when used in a laboratory setting.
    An individual who violates this policy should be reported to the Security Department. Violators will be subject to immediate dismissal and/or civil or criminal action.

I then replied to that if the same policy applies to police officers, and if so how are they any different/better than a "civilian" who is licensed to carry in the state of PA. Well today I receive this email. Mind you, my response to their initial email was sent around august 20th or so.

It has been brought to my attention by Campus Security that you may have some difficulty in understanding or complying with our college policy which prohibits the carrying of firearms on campus.
    Please make an appointment to see me so that I can clarify this for you, and I am very interested in discussing the reasons for your request or any concerns you may have for your personal safety.

I plan on scheduling a meeting with this person and discussing why I think it's important to allow licensed individuals to carry on campus. It is not that I feel unsafe on campus but the fact that I would like to be prepared for that one in a million chance that someone that day decides to lose their minds and I need to defend myself or someone else from being seriously harmed/killed. Being prohibited from carry on campus also dictates what I can do the rest of the day after school as I usually never leave the house unarmed, even when I take my daughter to the playground. My question is, what other points should I make during this opportunity aside from school shootings and the like? A lot of you guys/girls have been carrying way longer than I have and can better articulate reasons to allow carry. I want to make the most of this opportunity as this person may have some say in future policy changes.

p.s. I removed all names just in case
    Last edited by mkstan15; September 22nd, 2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: bad punctuation

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Need a little help

Wear clean underwear.

And I wouldn't have anything embarrassing in your room, car, or on your person.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Wear clean underwear.

And I wouldn't have anything embarrassing in your room, car, or on your person.
    He doesn't sound like an undergrad living in a dorm.

OP be prepared to be treated like a paranoid bad guy - college employees are the worst when it comes to this stuff.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mkstan15

It has been brought to my attention by Campus Security that you may have some difficulty in understanding or complying with our college policy which prohibits the carrying of firearms on campus....
    For asking a question?

The decline of our higher learning institutions is very disheartening.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    For asking a question?

I am not surprised in the least bit. I once contacted my school regarding an incident where a student was caught in legal possession of a handgun. I spoke out in support of the student. I had school administrators begging to meet with me, most likely in an attempt to ascertain whether or not I was a threat to the school.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    It has been brought to my attention by Campus Security that you may have some difficulty in understanding or complying with our college policy which prohibits the carrying of firearms on campus....
    For asking a question?

Yeah, it seems to me that they think you're violating their policy already. I wouldn't be surprised if they started interrogating him during this meeting.

I don't think they want to change their policy, I believe they think you're violating their policy, and they'll probably do whatever they can to get you to admit to it.
    Last edited by anonymouse; September 22nd, 2010 at 12:59 PM.

(Fayette County)

It is correct that I am neither in undergrad school or do I live in any type of school housing (My wife and I own our home). I'm not worried about them "finding" anything on me because as much as I don't agree with the policy, I can't afford to be expelled/dismissed with the debt I've incurred so I do not carry on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Yeah, it seems to me that they think you're violating their policy already. I wouldn't be surprised if they started interrogating him during this meeting.
    The exact reason I refused to meet with my school officials. The one email they sent to me said this:
    "I understand you have some questions regarding college policy as it relates to firearms on campus."

I very bluntly told them I passed first grade English and had no problem understanding the school policy on firearms and did not wish to meet with them. They sent 3 more emails under the veil of "being open to other perspectives." I ignored all of them.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(York County)

Shoot a PM to a member here, Avestriel. She has done an enormous amount of research and work on exactly this issue. If my memory serves me correctly, she has also enjoyed no small amount of success.

You couldn't ask for a better resource.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't think they want to change their policy, I believe they think you're violating their policy, and they'll probably do whatever they can to get you to admit to it.
    I will admit to nothing. I will just explain to them that criminals are not known for abiding by state laws let alone a school's policy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast