Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: G17 not for me

(Philadelphia County)

Default G17 not for me

Last night i went out an picked up a new 500$ G17.Took it to the range today an put 300 Down the pipe.At 10 yards with any of my sigs i can put 90 persent in the 10 ring not the glock, its reliable the trigger is spongiee an is not bilt as tight as my sigs.I have it sold already with a 50 dollar lost.Im picking up a 226 this week i will stay with sigs from now on no matter what an not listen to thoes little voices in my head.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: G17 not for me

sig makes great guns.

the glock's trigger is not meant for bullseye shooting, it's meant for self-defense/military/law enforcement work. so, while the gun is quite capable of it (and you do get used to the trigger), if your goal is to hit the 10 ring every time, then, yeah, the glock may not be for you.

enjoy your new 226.

(Philadelphia County)

Never looked at it that way the g17 is a very good wepon.Thanks

(Bedford County)

The Glock trigger takes a while to get used to. I like the 3.5# trigger connector, but the factory standard 5.5# is also good. I would shoot at least 1000 rounds before I gave up on the gun...but it's up to you. I think you would have been MUCH better off to shoot a Glock before you bought one, and took a $50 loss in the first week. It's not like you would have a hard time finding a Glock that you could try out. It's hard to go to a range that someone isnt shooting a Glock.

BTW: the average Glock shooter can smack 10 rings all day long at 10+ yards...it's all about getting used to the trigger. Every Glock I have ever seen was capable of 10 rings at 10 yards. A good Glock shooter will kill 10 rings at 25 yards.

factory glocks arent made for accuracy; although your good for 3 or 4inch groups, the chamber is way to loose on the factory barrel to shoot better. but its loose so it wil eat any ammo you feed to it. they are ment for carry and LE use as they are meant to hold alot of ammo, and always go off.

(Bucks County)

When people say "Glocks aren't as accurate as ___ " I always mentally translate that to "After years of shooting ___, in my one range session with Glock, I can't shoot Glock as well as ___ ."

Does anyone here have actual Ransom Rest numbers for Glock vs Sig? I doubt it. I doubt the mechanical accuracy of these various guns (barring 1911s) is very different at all, and I also doubt 1 shooter out of a 100 or even a 1,000 can actually push ANY gun to its inherent limits of accuracy.

As for trigger, there are several points:

1. Familiarity and practice are anything. Across the years of practice, I can easily pre-stage the Glock trigger and get a crisp last push.

2. When we talk of Sigs, WHICH trigger: SA or DA? Guys who go to the range, load the mag, rack the slide and do all their shooting in SA mode are kidding themselves. You want a real test? Put up a target at the distance you want, and from either holster or low ready, bring the gun up and fire your one shot in the gun's native carry position: that means the DA shot in the Sig. Add a little time pressure. Then we can talk USABLE accuracy.

3. To me, "trigger" = first shot, transition, then all the shots after that. For Glock, all the shots are the same, and the trigger reset is short. For DA/SA guns, you have that long first pull, then you have DA to SA transition, then you have the SA pull and SA to SA transition. I have to wonder how many people really take the time to get good at the latter.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    When people say "Glocks aren't as accurate as ___ " I always mentally translate that to "After years of shooting ___, in my one range session with Glock, I can't shoot Glock as well as ___ ."

Does anyone here have actual Ransom Rest numbers for Glock vs Sig? I doubt it. I doubt the mechanical accuracy of these various guns (barring 1911s) is very different at all, and I also doubt 1 shooter out of a 100 or even a 1,000 can actually push ANY gun to its inherent limits of accuracy.

1. Familiarity and practice are anything. Across the years of practice, I can easily pre-stage the Glock trigger and get a crisp last push.

2. When we talk of Sigs, WHICH trigger: SA or DA? Guys who go to the range, load the mag, rack the slide and do all their shooting in SA mode are kidding themselves. You want a real test? Put up a target at the distance you want, and from either holster or low ready, bring the gun up and fire your one shot in the gun's native carry position: that means the DA shot in the Sig. Add a little time pressure. Then we can talk USABLE accuracy.

3. To me, "trigger" = first shot, transition, then all the shots after that. For Glock, all the shots are the same, and the trigger reset is short. For DA/SA guns, you have that long first pull, then you have DA to SA transition, then you have the SA pull and SA to SA transition. I have to wonder how many people really take the time to get good at the latter.

+1

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Lehigh County)

You need to shoot the Glock more, I can punch off the 10 ring at 10 yard with my G23, I never try shooting my G23 beyond the 15 yard mark, as said, the Glock is not intended for bulleye but with enough of practice, it can be done especially with the G17.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post

When I read this thread yesterday I was going to write a reply very similar but I just didn't have the energy because we've discussed this very issue in the past and on more than one occasion.

Maybe what we should do is set up some "realistic" drills at the next PMSC PAFOA shoot because I am simply amazed at the number of people who can shoot DA/SA autoloaders well.

What is often missing are "standards". For example, SIG's are quite accurate and it's very easy to stand off at 10 yards, thumb cock the hammer and hit the X ring all day long. However, at seven yards, to present the pistol from the holster and get a first round DA hit into the ocular window in 1.5 seconds is not so easy with the DA trigger stroke.

People never provide details on "how" they are shooting so there is never any context to form an opinion on the "shoot-ability" of a given handgun.

(York County)

I disagree with the idea the Glock isn't inherently as accurate as other semi-auto pistols.
    The G17 is the basis for the 17L and 34 models, both of which are target pistols. I have a 17L (which I have a standard 17 slide installed). Nice gun and a lot more accurate then I am.
    Now, for those who are really into Glocks...maybe someone can tell us if Glock does anything special to "accurize" the 17L and 34 models.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast