Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default What's the Current Threat of Another AWB?

I just realized that the next election isn't that far away, and I'm without a Gen.III "Assault Weapon." I had a little bit of a panic attack. (I may be overdramatizing slightly, but not a whole lot)

What do you think the chances are for another assault weapons ban? Unlikely, possible, probable?

I'd like to be optimistic, and believe that real conservatives will take over the house and senate, as some are suggesting, but I though for a while that McCain/Palin might win, so. . .
    Last edited by Suburban; September 20th, 2010 at 02:39 AM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: What's the Current Threat of Another AWB?

Tricky to tell, really. Most states are solidly pro gun but it appears that different stuff happens in DC than what the voting public is aware of or would consent to--there's some kind of disconnect between what goes in and what comes out. The bad guys from '94 unfortunately haven't been kicked out: Feinstein, Schumer, Pelosi, Rangel, Waters, Durbin, et al. It seems the more entrenched politicians are, and thus almost entirely self reelecting, the worse on gun rights they turn out to be, likely because they can get away with it.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; September 20th, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

My opinion is such that never will a gun ban take place again and those states that have restrictions on what kind and type of guns you may purchase and posses are about to get whammed. I say this inlight of the the 2009 and 2010 Supreme Court Decisions making firearm ownership an individual right and applying the 14th amendment to the states and local governments. Gun ownership is now a right!!! Just like the other 20 some odd Amendments to the US Constitution. I believe lawsuits will wipeout most arbitrary gun laws to include age restrictions to age 21 with pistols, microstamping and that whole ball of BS, magazine capacity limits, purchasing limits per month etc...

CL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    I just realized that the next election isn't that far away, and I'm without a Gen.III "Assault Weapon." I had a little bit of a panic attack. (I may be overdramatizing slightly, but not a whole lot)

What do you think the chances are for another assault weapons ban? Unlikely, possible, probable?

I'd like to be optimistic, and believe that real conservatives will take over the house and senate, as some are suggesting, but I though for a while that McCain/Palin might win, so. . .
    it is a real possibility, we defeated one earlier in the year on the state level, but unless more Gun Owners get off the couch and start standing up for their rights, we just might have one in the near future.

if you want to get more involved and see what goes on behind the scenes, go here:

www.foac-pac.org
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    My opinion is such that never will a gun ban take place again and those states that have restrictions on what kind and type of guns you may purchase and posses are about to get whammed. I say this inlight of the the 2009 and 2010 Supreme Court Decisions making firearm ownership an individual right and applying the 14th amendment to the states and local governments. Gun ownership is now a right!!! Just like the other 20 some odd Amendments to the US Constitution. I believe lawsuits will wipeout most arbitrary gun laws to include age restrictions to age 21 with pistols, microstamping and that whole ball of BS, magazine capacity limits, purchasing limits per month etc...

CL
    Things are slowly moving in that direction. I say slowly because the courts are moving VERY slowly in the cases following up Heller and McDonald. Meanwhile anti gun legislators can pass laws much, much faster, and they have incentive to do so out of desperation so that they can get them on the books before they're preempted by court rulings declaring them unconstitutional AND to obstruct us from taking down the real nasty stuff in NY, CA, NJ, etc. and put an end to their game altogether. We have the framework in place to fight but the victory isn't yet in our hands at all. Further we have to work on cultural recapture so we can get society to be unwilling to undo our work in the future, or we're just fighting for a hollow temporary win.

In short, we have them on the run but that doesn't make it at all safe. If nothing else when we vote them out they might try to get in a couple of bad shots at us because they won't have the opportunity later. We must be cautious and be sure to never assume safety until it is proven so. There's a lot of work to be done and no time to slack off and take things for granted.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; September 20th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Dauphin County)

What's the Current Threat of Another AWB?
    Perhaps he had forgotten the saying, that “no man’s life, liberty, or property are safe while the Legislature is in session.”

(Allegheny County)

I see alot of shit, not jsut an AWB, coming down the pike between Nov 2 and January 2011 when there's nothing to lose. Let's hope I'm wrong.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Caeser2001 View Post
    I see alot of shit, not jsut an AWB, coming down the pike between Nov 2 and January 2011 when there's nothing to lose. Let's hope I'm wrong.
    I hadn't considered that angle.

I'm hedging my bets. Unloaded another pistol I'm not using and put down a deposit on a basic black ACR. A local dealer gave me a good price on the ACR, just didn't have one in stock.

I was afraid that if I waited, I'd be ready to buy in the middle of another buying frenzy like around the '08 election, or I'd end up facing "pre-ban" pricing on already expensive rifles. If used "pre-ban" AR-15s were selling for $1500+, I'd hate to see the price tag on a "pre-ban" ACR or SCAR.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Allegheny County)

At the Federal level, Democrats hold a 59-41 lead in the Senate and a 255-178 lead in the House. If they can't pass an AWB now chances are they aren't going to, especially since it looks nearly guaranteed that they're going to lose several seats (if not their majority) this November.

Public attitudes on gun control have really shifted in our favor since the 90s, when the original AWB was implemented. Furthermore a lot of the Democratic gains in congress came from relatively conservative swing districts, so there are a fair amount of pro-gun Democrats who are able to block any efforts by their party to go after gun control.

Despite the kind of alarmist rhetoric you see from the NRA and other groups, we're really on the offensive right now rather than the defensive. At least at the national level, anyways.

Some cities have really stepped up their anti-gun efforts, but for the most part most states have been moving towards a more pro-gun position as well as is evidenced by expanding right to carry laws.

That can all change, of course. A lot of the shift seems to be as a result of drastic drops in crime. Back in the 80s and early 90s crime was a national issue, these days it's not. When crime is high a lot of people get scared and irrationally support anti-gun policies, but right now it's really not a big issue in the minds of most voters.

Right now I say we need to keep on the offensive in expanding right-to-carry laws and dismantling nonsense regulations, before the tides turn and we're back on the defensive again.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Allegheny County)

yes, theres anothe AWB right around the corner, and its gonna be worse than the last one and have no sunset........

anyone want to buy an SKS ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast