Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Need advice on getting guns back from a gunsmith

Here's the story: More than three years ago I left three guns needing some work at a local gunsmith. Every few months I'd bug the guy and ask if they were done yet. Last time I talked to him in person (more than a year ago) he said he was working too much at his job and having a back issue but to give him more time to finish the jobs as he'd had to buy a reamer (and of course there was another story there about being put on backorder for six months).

Well to cut the story short, I began calling in June to tell him I wanted my stuff back. I guess I've called nearly a hundred times over the last four months. They never picked up the phone, so I've been leaving messages. No, I wasn't being nasty, just said "call me" or "I want to get my stuff back, please call me". No reply ever. I even stopped by one evening in August and talked to his wife, simply saying I want my stuff back. Two weeks ago I sent a return registered return receipt letter and it was refused and sent back by USPS. I've since left a similar letter taped to his door, but still haven't heard back.

Should I contact the local police or MSP? The guy lives in Colora, Maryland. Is this an issue where law enforcement might help me get my stuff back?

Any (useful) advice would be helpful here.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Need Advice, gunsmith has my guns & I can't get them back

Why is this in news? Anyway, that's just insane. Three years? A gunsmith should never have a gun over a month. I would be flipping out. I suppose you could file a lawsuit and settle the thing in court. Good luck!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Three years? A gunsmith should never have a gun over a month.

Don't take this wrong, but how many gunsmiths have you dealt with over the years? How many year period was that? What type of work did you have done?

Seriously, many good gunsmiths get bogged down with work, basically taking in too much work, trying to keep everybody happy...and then they get behind. Three years is too much.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Don't take this wrong, but how many gunsmiths have you dealt with over the years? How many year period was that? What type of work did you have done?

Seriously, many good gunsmiths get bogged down with work, basically taking in too much work, trying to keep everybody happy...and then they get behind. Three years is too much.
    I've only been a gun owner for a couple years, so not many. However most of the work I've had done was finished in two weeks.

The work done was barrel threading and trigger jobs.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; September 19th, 2010 at 09:39 AM.

you need to visit them again and again, if still nothing see a lawyer.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Need advice on getting guns back from a gunsmith

Hate to say it, but at this point I would report them stolen or have an attorney contact him.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    ...Should I contact the local police or MSP? The guy lives in Colora, Maryland. Is this an issue where law enforcement might help me get my stuff back?
    I hope you have some sort of receipt for the guns.

I would assume you took the items to this gunsmith based on a recomendation from someone you know. If so, do others you know of had similar problems with this guy?

It might be time for a visit to a local magistrate and find out about small claims court.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Hate to say it, but at this point I would report them stolen or have an attorney contact him.
    I don't know what Maryland does with recovered "stolen guns." Keep them as evidence? Then torch them? I'd find that out first.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I don't know what Maryland does with recovered "stolen guns." Keep them as evidence? Then torch them? I'd find that out first.
    haha yeah I was thinking that after I posted. Don't they turn them into lamp posts?

(Luzerne County)

I think the problem here is the gunsmith is a crook. The fact that he is now refusing to return calls and refused the notarized letter says it all. Did he sell the gun, did he screw it up totally. Gunsmiths like him give the good ones bad reps.

I would contact MSP and see if you can report it stolen and then contact ATF, maybe he lost his FFL, if not see about putting in a complaint with them. Hopefully you get the firearm back, but still follow up with ATF and see if you can have his FFL revoked. That will teach him, let him lose his livelyhood.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast