Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default PICS Check delay -- should I be concerned?

The last 2 times I went to buy a gun there was a delay when the dealer called in for the background check. Both times the dealer had to wait on the line to speak to someone in person. I think that's not usually how it works -- I thought the process was fully automated for most of the calls.

Am I wrong about the full automation? If not, any ideas why someone would need to talk to the dealer in person?

I don't have a criminal record and I was approved both times, but I'm just wondering what might make me "special" enough to need a live person on the line? Just dumb luck? Or might there be some sort of flag on me that requires a little extra attention?

I know diddley squat about how the system works, so hopefully someone can shed some light. I'll be making another purchase in the near future; it'll be interesting to see if the "trend" continues...
    NRA Life Member, Mechanicsburg

(Delaware County)

Default Re: PICS Check delay -- should I be concerned?

The three or so times I've bought or sold pistols at FFL's they have always had a live person on the line. I remember one time the store owner described me to the person on the other end as a "Tall, skinny guy with brown hair."

I don't think it's anything unusual.

(Berks County)

The people whom THEY are keeping the most careful watch on get live PICS people.

(Jefferson County)

Only be moderately concerned. Delays happen to clean & clear people all because they have a similar name and/or appearance as a prohibited person. If you've been given a "go ahead" before after a delay you should be ok. And if you you get a denial, and are clear of any prohibiting issues, its not bad to have reversed.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

You might have a common name or a name that is similar to a bad guy and they are taking the extra steps to verify your identity.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    The people whom THEY are keeping the most careful watch on get live PICS people.

I can beleive this because every time I buy a gun a live person gets on the phone and it takes about 10 minutes. I also got a delay one time and had to wait 15 days to pic up my pistol, never was given a reason.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post

Hell, I have my own government satellite as well as getting an operator on each PICS call.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

I was told that everyone few pics check a store runs they will be connected to a living person, the others are done by computer. It is randomized to make sure everything is good
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Cumberland County)

It's nice to know it ain't just me.

It could be the common name thing... I did a lookup on my name on the Cumberland county judicial docket search and there are a few repeat offenders with my first and last name.
    NRA Life Member, Mechanicsburg

(Northampton County)

It is randomized to make sure everything is good
    It's randomized to keep the PICS clerks employed. Hey, if a computer could do it all... Wait. Isn't that what they PICS clerks do? Look at a computer screen?

There must be some serious technical challenge to instituting a choice based electronic system if there is a question.

Computer System: Please enter the date of birth
    FFL on the keypad: 011263
    Computer System: What color eyes? Press "1" for blue, "2" for brown, "3" for green
    FFL on the keypad: 2
    Computer System: Please wait
    Computer System: Approval number 1223548963

Ya know? I think the credit card companies should do something like this... I'm gonna make millions! <sarcasm off>
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast