Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question International private transfer?

In a very short while I am going to be visited by a Canadian acquaintance of mine. He has been here before for training, and is coming for some followup work. But this time there is a bit of a twist. Since I started carrying openly while teaching in my shop, I have become widely known (at least on the internet) in the woodturning community as the gun toting woodturner. Increasing numbers of students are starting to make time to do some shooting with me while they are here. The gentleman from Canada is one who asked ahead of time if we could set aside some time to do some shooting.

He went on to tell me that he inherited a rifle and a pistol from his uncle, but they have sat in the house unused, and have done so for years. The requirements, written permits, and money involved just for him to be able to go to a club to shoot at paper are unbelievable, and apparently isn't worth the effort. So, I am thinking of asking him if he would be interested in selling them. But, I don't even know if this is possible. Does anyone here have any experience or actual factual knowledge of this? Please note, I am not interested in idle speculation or conjecture. But if someone reading this might actually know if or how this might be done, I would be interested to hear about it. Of course, this all presupposes that he would be interested in selling, and that any price would be acceptable - including fees, of which there are bound to be some, I am sure.

(Centre County)

Default Re: International private transfer?

As a private citizen (Non-FFL) you cannot import a firearm. Importation of firearms has to go through a properly licensed FFL.

From the BATFE:

Q: May a licensed dealer who does not have an importer’s license make an occasional importation?

Yes. A licensed dealer may make an occasional importation of a firearm for a non-licensee or for the licensee’s personal use (not for resale). The licensee must first submit an ATF Form 6, Part I to ATF for approval. The licensee may then present the approved Form 6 and completed ATF Form 6A to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Contact the Bureau of ATF, Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch for forms, or download them from the ATF Web page at www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/.

Hope this answers your question.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    But he's talking about transferring it to the Canadien, not importing it, so wouldn't it be the Canadien officials involved, and not the ATF?
    Thats not how I read it.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    So, I am thinking of asking him if he would be interested in selling them. ... Of course, this all presupposes that he would be interested in selling, and that any price would be acceptable - including fees, of which there are bound to be some, I am sure.
    He is interested in buying them from the Canadian, thus my reply.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    As a private citizen (Non-FFL) you cannot import a firearm. Importation of firearms has to go through a properly licensed FFL.

From the BATFE:

Q: May a licensed dealer who does not have an importer’s license make an occasional importation?

Yes. A licensed dealer may make an occasional importation of a firearm for a non-licensee or for the licensee’s personal use (not for resale). The licensee must first submit an ATF Form 6, Part I to ATF for approval. The licensee may then present the approved Form 6 and completed ATF Form 6A to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Contact the Bureau of ATF, Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch for forms, or download them from the ATF Web page at www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/.

Hope this answers your question.
    Yes, it does. Thanks.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    He is interested in buying them from the Canadian, thus my reply.
    Holy cow... I misread that badly. My apologies..
    III%