Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a scream

(Chester County)

Default a scream

Last night we were at home. It was late in the evening and everything was quiet. The kids were asleep in their rooms. I was upstairs in the guest/office room messing around on the computer. My wife was downstairs watching TV and talking on the phone. I hear her hang up, and turn off the TV. I hear her making the rounds downstairs checking that the oven is off, that the windows are closed, and that the doors are locked. I’ve heard those sounds a million times and I know she is going to be upstairs in 2 minutes and ready to go to sleep. So, I start turning off the computer when I hear her open the front door. That is not part of the usual routine, so my ears perk up a bit more.

I hear the screen door bang closed as she steps outside. Then I hear my wife scream. I’ve known my wife for 18 years, and for 14 of those years we have been married. I’ve heard her yell in anger and I’ve heard her scream in pain. I’ve heard her yell for me when she is scared. I’ve heard just about everything from her. But that scream was like nothing that I have ever heard. It was a scream of pure terror.

I am up and moving. Time slows. I can feel my chest get tight. I can feel my heart beating. I am running down the hall past my kids rooms. Their doors are open and their lights are off. I am nearing the top of the stairs and the door to our bedroom. I do not slow. I am running full tilt, but thoughts go through my head. I consider going in the bedroom and getting a pistol from a quick access safe. It would take 1 second to cross the room, take 2 -3 seconds to open the safe and get the pistol, and take another second to cross the room back to the door. Too much time. I dismiss it. I hear my wife yell “Help!” I consider throwing open a closet door and grabbing a bat I keep there. 2 or 3 seconds. Too much time. I dismiss that too. I am running down the stairs. I hear the screen door open. I am empty handed. I need speed.

I launch myself from the bottom step. I am not small. I plan to plow into whoever is there and get them on the ground. I am ready to take a shot. I am ready to fight like an animal. To do whatever is necessary just as fast as I can.

1 second later I am at the front door. My wife is standing just inside the door. Nobody else can be seen. With my momentum, I can not stop. I almost knock her over as I grab on to her and spin towards the door. Nobody is outside. I look back to my wife. She has her head down is pawing at the hair on her head. I yell to her “What???” She says “A bat! Is there a bat in my hair?”

I just look at her and I start to laugh. After a second she starts laughing too. As she was getting ready to come upstairs, she remembered that she had set out a wreath to hang on the front door. She opened the door and stepped outside to hang the wreath. A bat or something (she never did get a good look at it) flew into her head.

Looking back at this, I realize something. In an emergency, I will not take a detour. I am on a direct path to where I need to be. If I perceive the emergency to be a threat, I will grab a weapon if, and only if, it is right in front of me. Some will say this is a reason to carry at home. Others will say this is a reason to stash multiple weapons at key places throughout your home. I am not sure what I will do yet. I am still just laughing.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: a scream

The few times that something "bad" was suposedly happening around my house. I have found that I ran past my firearm. But, I must say, that I would realize it, and ran back in to grab it. But this is because it is kept within very easy reach. I keep keep my daily carry near the front door on top of a cabinet. It is right where I can grab it as I leave the house. I have another one that is next to the bed. My bump in the night gun. And there is one kept by the Computer in the living room. My wifes go to gun, (this is where she spends most of her time selling on Ebay) and my back up gun.

When things go bad. it usually happens quickly and won't give you a lot of time to think, let alone react. If you have to go out of your way to grab a firearm, chances are, as you have learned, your not going to do that. Even if it is the smart thing to do. Your heart and emotions take over, especially if it involves your wife and kids.

Yes, I too have kids. But don't keep my firearms locked up. The kids have never touch them. They have no interest in them. I got rid of the interest a long time ago, by letting them "Touch and Play" with them under my supervision all they wanted too. I did this till they had lost all interest in them.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter View Post
    Some will say this is a reason to carry at home.
    I'm one of those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter View Post
    I am running down the hall past my kids rooms. Their doors are open and their lights are off.
    I'd also recommend investing the 0.25 seconds needed to yank those doors shut.

Otherwise, two thumbs up. Do what you need to do, when you need to do it, with whatever is handy.

(Lehigh County)

thats why I am always in armor and tacticool gear with my FS2K and a dozen mags... freakin HATE bats.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

If there is a light, then it was probably just a big moth fluttering about.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Columbia County)

I don't blame you at all for running to your wife's aid immediately without stopping to get a gun. You hear her screaming, and you want to get there... fast.

I am also one of those people that will tell you that is why I carry at home or have my carry piece sitting next to me when I'm watching tv, on the computer, etc.

Thanks for the reminder of why I do it.

(Delaware County)

You did good, and I'd do(have done) the same.

I carry on me pretty much all day, especially at home. It's more trouble to disarm when I get home than just to leave it on my hip. Doesn't bother anything and I know it's right there God-forbid I ever need it. Only takes a person 1 second to kick in your door, less than that if it's unlocked...

(Philadelphia County)

Well-written post with lots of good lessons to teach!
    I have often thought about the "extra 2-3 seconds, too much time" and I fully agree.

Had you grabbed the baseball bat it would have been a bat-on-bat encounter so no worries about disparity of force. Of course if the bat was in your wife's hair it would have quickly turned into a Three Stooges episode

(Montgomery County)

Another - "very well written". I feel like I was there with you.

Buy something like a Kahr PM9 and keep it in your pocket at ALL times. That way you'll never have to waste those precious seconds if something goes bump in the night.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

I have a couple of thoughts here. First, I am one of those who carries at home all the time. There is no place nearer than my hip for my gun to be.

Second, while I understand completely the urge to get to your wife as quickly as possible, consider that you may be running into a situation where you have been set up and someone is waiting for you. I do not mean set up by your wife, but by someone who has taken control of her or attacked her in some way. Regardless of all the horrible things your mind can concoct, you need to assess the situation before you go charging in. I raised three daughters. Blood curdling screams were a part of life when bugs were present. Occasionally there was an injury. But in all cases, I went in wary of what I might find. You have to think that way just for that one time when it might be for real.

It is not all that long ago that a man was killed near here (Northampton) going to the sound of screams coming from his neighbor's house. He went running to help, only to find a nut case with a knife waiting for him. Four people died that day. If he had gone in properly prepared, it could have been a different fourth person, and he would be here to tell the tale.

I would have laughed about it too after it was all over, but in the end, it gives you some valuable insight into your preparedness and how things work. Consider it a good lesson.
    Last edited by PennsyPlinker; September 15th, 2010 at 09:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast