Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Ok the wife finally decided on a revolver

The only gun she has been shooting well is a Taurus 24/7 pro compact 9mm but from time to time has had issues with the gun cycling from the lack of upper body strength (failure to eject spent shell). She really likes this gun and is getting quite good with it but we decided to look for something a little smaller in a revolver for CC for her. Question, if she is having trouble handling the recoil on the 9mm piston would a 38spl or a 32mag be a better caliber choice for her in a revolver. We are also looking for a shrouded hammer or hammerless model oh yea she is insisting it needs to be one of the pretty colored ones like Charter Arms has. Any input and help with caliber choice and gun manufactures would be greatly appreciated.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Ok the wife finally decided on a revolver

.38spl is where it's at. Smith & Wesson also makes pink 642's IIRC. "Hammerless" 5 shot snub, 1 and 7/8" bbl. I own one, not in pink, great CC gun.

I would probably stay away from charter arms, JMO. You could always find a used s&w or ruger and have it duracoated pink.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

Look for a used Smith and Wesson Model 66, 2.5 inch barrel or so which should run about 400 USD or less. The 66 is a bit heavier, which makes it easier to shoot a lot of ammunition without discomfort. The trigger pull is also a bit lighter then a J frame. I own and carry a Smith model 642 and it is a very difficult firearm to become and stay proficient with. I consider the snub nosed J frame (like the 642) to be an experts weapon, as it is easier for a novice to pick up a Glock 19 (or similar) and shoot better with little practice.

The compact J frames (like the 442/642) are fantastic, if you have the time and desire to practice, practice and practice some more. They also recoil quite a bit more then the heavier pistols due to mass. With your wifes first handgun you should balance concealable with shootable. (get the right pure with built in holster and you can hide a Desert Eagle) The model 66 will offer the best of both worlds in my opinion. Here is a picture of one:

The 66 weighs about 32-37 ounces.

The model 642 below weighs about 15 ounces...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

My wife has a S&W 642 & loves it. She made me get pink Hoague grips for it. I think the grips were to keep me from carrying it.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Montgomery County)

It might be worth considering getting a 5-shot 357, even if she's only going to shoot 38s out of it. It isn't hard to get used to the extra weight to carry it, especially if she's going to carry in a purse, and the weight makes it a lot easier to shoot.

Practice is going to be important, and you may want to consider lasergrips, which are great for dry-firing practice, so she can see if she stayed on target. If you have a basement or garage, you could also try wax bullets. These are accurate enough for practice at self defense distances, and you can use a plywood backstop.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by pfsf978 View Post
    Practice is going to be important, and you may want to consider lasergrips, which are great for dry-firing practice.

There is no better way to learn to shoot double-action !

My wife has a Ruger SP101. She hated shooting my 642 (so did I which is why I sold it). The SP101 is a good bit heavier and therefore able to absorb recoil easier. But it's not too heavy to carry in a good holster.

I would recommend letting your wife shoot whatever she's interested in first, before buying something she may not like.

.38 SPL's are good, small, and under 20 feet, will stop someone. For the not "Pink" class (get pink grips) look at Ruger LCR. Next is get a .327 and shoot .32 mags out of it. The full power .327's from a 2 inch'er can be a hand full. I've got one and like having 6 shots but don't want to shoot .327's all the time. .32 mag's shoot great from it and my wife can handle it fine.

(Lancaster County)

My Girl friend was the same way. Any time she shot my full size guns 9mm or 40 it would FTE. We found her a taurus PT 111 millenium pro, it is still a 9mm but she can shoot it with no problem and no FTE. If you ever get down to lancaster you and your wife are more then welcome to try the taurus out and i also have a Rossi snubby in 38/357

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    .38 SPL's are good, small, and under 20 feet, will stop someone. For the not "Pink" class (get pink grips) look at Ruger LCR. Next is get a .327 and shoot .32 mags out of it. The full power .327's from a 2 inch'er can be a hand full. I've got one and like having 6 shots but don't want to shoot .327's all the time. .32 mag's shoot great from it and my wife can handle it fine.
    Bold above is not accurate. This is old "folk type lore" that is common to those that do not understand the mechanics of what bullets do to people. For example, a 38 special 129 grain Hydra shok +P load makes 258 foot pounds at the muzzle and at 25 yards (approximately 75 feet) has 246 foot pounds of energy showing a loss of energy less then 4.7%. That is almost an insignificant energy loss at almost four times the "20 feet" prescribed as the effective range.

The real trick is the shooter. Putting lead where it needs to be has always been the critical factor when dealing with similar energy level weapons. The only two ways a bullet incapacitates is either by causing enough blood loss to make someone lose consciousness or by smashing through the brain and halting central nervous system function. Let the myths remain as such.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast