Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Question on SGL

Default Question on SGL

Well i finally got my HL, passed my class today. Ive gone along on a few hunts, but haven't shot obviously, but were on private property. I plan on hunting a SGL this year, so heres the question. Can i bring my rifle or shotgun with me to the SGL and hunt squirrels, woodchucks and rabbit while walking and checking out possible hunt spots for deer?

Like i said first time hunt in sgl so this may seem like a dumb question.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Question on SGL

Yes you can as long as you follow the season/bag limits and wear the required orange. SGL are not just to hunt deer they are there for anyone to hunt what ever is in season.

Quote Originally Posted by kman25 View Post
    Yes you can as long as you follow the season/bag limits and wear the required orange. SGL are not just to hunt deer they are there for anyone to hunt what ever is in season.
    great thanks! wasn't sure if they were only open to certain game and certain times of year

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    great thanks! wasn't sure if they were only open to certain game and certain times of year
    Keep in mind that during small game season, deer season is already open and has been for some time, be sure to look for long time indications of deer movement, not just look for the deer themselves as they will be getting pushed by other hunters.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Keep in mind that during small game season, deer season is already open and has been for some time, be sure to look for long time indications of deer movement, not just look for the deer themselves as they will be getting pushed by other hunters.
    Ummm......?

If I were going to say that, I'd say, "By the time deer season opens, small game has been open for a month and a half, . . . ."

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

im going rifle for antlered, no doe tags available anymore in my area, antlered starts Nov. 29 in my area, 5B. Archery starts Oct. 2nd and muzzleloader starts Oct 16th if im correct.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Ummm......?

If I were going to say that, I'd say, "By the time deer season opens, small game has been open for a month and a half, . . . ."

Flash
    Statewide "Deer Hunting" begins on October 2nd and in the Special Regs areas it begins on Spetember 18th. It just so happens to be called "Archery". Soooooo, that would mean that "Deer Season" opens a healthy 14 days before the earliest allowed small game season which is Squirrel and Grouse. Youth hunters are allowed to target Squirrel and Rabbit as early as October 9th however that is still after the statewide archery opener.

To the OP----Please be careful while hunting on public grounds and always be aware of what is beyond your target. You may shoot at a squirrel in a tree without realizing that there is a camo clad archery hunter in a treestand not too far past your quarry. Always use safe hunting practices. Good luck out there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    Statewide "Deer Hunting" begins on October 2nd and in the Special Regs areas it begins on Spetember 18th. It just so happens to be called "Archery". Soooooo, that would mean that "Deer Season" opens a healthy 14 days before the earliest allowed small game season which is Squirrel and Grouse. Youth hunters are allowed to target Squirrel and Rabbit as early as October 9th however that is still after the statewide archery opener.

To the OP----Please be careful while hunting on public grounds and always be aware of what is beyond your target. You may shoot at a squirrel in a tree without realizing that there is a camo clad archery hunter in a treestand not too far past your quarry. Always use safe hunting practices. Good luck out there this year.
    True, because some bowhunters don't post their trees......

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post

Yes, you are right. I was only thinking "firearms". Sorry.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates