Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Allegheny county rifle club vs. Millvale sportsmen's club

Hello

Recently moved to Allison park and looking for a good place to shoot. Went to a couple public places which were nice but the cost is becoming pretty ridiculous. Really interested in looking into joining a private club but have no contact with a potential sponsor. Would really appreciate any advice or current members willing to give me a tour.

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Allegheny county rifle club vs. Millvale sportsmen's club

whether or not a particular club is good for you depends on what you want to do.

after greater pitt closed a few years ago, i went searching for a new place to shoot. i can tell you neither millvale nor allegheny rifle club suited my needs...but they may suit yours.

allegheny rifle club in particular, seemed to have very restrictive rules. i got the impression it would be a nice place to sight in a deer rifle.

you have to ask them what their rules are. ask them if you will be allowed to do whatever it is you want to do.

i ended up joining PMSC (pitcairn monroeville sportsmens club; www.pmsconline.com) and it is a perfect fit for me. you do not need a sponsor to join PMSC.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to Allison Park! I don't know much about the Allegheny county rifle club or Millvale sportsmen's club but I'm member of the Richland Sportsman's club (which is very close by to Allison Park). We have an indoor Archery/.22 range in Richland and we have a old farm near Butler with an informal trap setup and a basic range with 50yd and 100yd backstops.

But I have to agree with LittleRedToyota about PMSC. If you are really into serious shooting that's got to be one of the better places in the area and really isn't too far of drive from Allison Park. I am not a member there but I go there for classes on occasion. The facilities are impressive and everyone I met there has been real nice.

(Allegheny County)

Hi ama19, welcome to the area. I'm a member at ACRC and can fill you in on the in's & out's and I'd be happy to show you around. Unfortunately, the membership is currently closed. That might change next year, but for right now the best you could do would be to get on the waiting list. PM me for more info if you'd like.

(Allegheny County)

thanks for all the quick replies! Ill definitely have to check out PMSC sounds like it could work out pretty nicely. what sort of classes do they actually offer there? im interested in taking a couple and possibly joining a shooting league which im not sure if PMSC or ACRC offers one. i know millvale does have one. On a side note does anyone know of a class III dealer around this area or pittsburgh?

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by ama19 View Post
    thanks for all the quick replies! Ill definitely have to check out PMSC sounds like it could work out pretty nicely. what sort of classes do they actually offer there? im interested in taking a couple and possibly joining a shooting league which im not sure if PMSC or ACRC offers one. i know millvale does have one. On a side note does anyone know of a class III dealer around this area or pittsburgh?

thanks again
    Post 2 and you are already asking about a Class III dealer, I see you making many friends here!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ama19 View Post
    what sort of classes do they actually offer there?
    there are a couple of NRA instructors that offer basic NRA classes from time to time at PMSC.

beyond that, the FIRE Institute (http://www.fireinstitute.org/) offers classes there. their classes are generally exceptional, imho.

inpax (http://www.inpax.net/) runs their shooting classes (or at least some of them) there. i have no direct experience with inpax, but have shot with the owner (nice guy/good shooter) and know one of the instructors (nice guy/very good shooter) and a few of their students. it seems like high quality training as well from what i can tell.

other groups hold classes there from time to time. and i think PMSC itself might put on some .22 and bb-gun classes for kids from time to time, though i'm not sure about that.

im interested in taking a couple and possibly joining a shooting league which im not sure if PMSC or ACRC offers one. i know millvale does have one.
    PMSC hosts IPSC matches once a month during the ISPC season (and then other area clubs host IPSC matches on other weeks...so there is at least one match--at a different area club--just about every weekend during the season).

PMSC also participates in some type of trap league...i think the league rotates around from club to club, but i'm not sure.

there is also a monthly CMP shoot. and regular IPSC, CMP, and trap practice held at PMSC. (there are also 3D archery shoots at PMSC and, i think, maybe an archery league, but i'm not sure.)

i'm far from totally up to speed on all the leagues and stuff, though. (i shoot IPSC from time to time, but mostly i focus on training classes and practicing for self-defense.)

can't help you with your question about class III dealers.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

thanks for the information! really appreciate that. PMSC sounds really nice the only thing im thinking over is the distance from me

take care

(Allegheny County)

Unhappy Re: Allegheny county rifle club vs. Millvale sportsmen's club

As an update to this thread I just stopped into Allegheny Country Sportsman's Club and asked about membership and they said they have no plans to open up for new members in the foreseeable future.

(Allegheny County)

I cant comment on Allegheny or Millvale.

But PMSC was mentioned and I can confirm they are now enforcing their sponsorship requirements. I've heard of new members coming to the meeting and getting a sponsor at the meeting, but allot of others go to the public or PAFOA events to find sponsors.

I live in Ross Township and it's worth the extra drive to PMSC given their facilities and rules for the type of shooting I do. Due to my work schedule I almost exclusivity shoot on weekends so the non rush hour drive from Ross to PMSC is not an issue. If I could shoot on weekdays I might look for something closer as the trip to PMSC during rush hour from my house is harsh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast