Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Good bedside lockbox

Hi all,

Im in the market for a good bedside lockbox....it should be able to hold at least two pistols and their respective mags. Digital combo is a plus with a keyed backup (arent they all that way?) Ive looked at the GunVault series and im not that impressed. My full size gun safe is in another room so im looking for something closer to the master bedroom and secure.

Thanks in advance!

Vince

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Good bedside lockbox

Are there kids in the house? I assume this is the motivation?

If not, my bedside lockbox is called a holster. Lockboxes are painfully not secure from any determined thief.

Past that, I have no suggestions past the gun vaults. I have one and use it to keep my 6 year old from exploring on her own.

(Bucks County)

I just got one of these, for about $79 at Dicks Sports:

I haven't "torture tested" it by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm very happy with it. The lid is spring-loaded, so it pops open for easy one handed-access, and you can disable the beeping sound it makes when you press the keys. I can fit 3 guns plus reloads in it.

The only downsides I can think of are that:

1. the keys don't light up, so I keep a small flashlight by it, which you should have handy anyway.

2. it's a little bigger than I thought, so it barely fits into a dresser drawer in a way that it'll still open, and it definitely won't fit in a nightstand drawer. But it's still smaller than most of the Gun Vaults, except maybe the really tiny one.

3. it's pretty loud when it opens, but you can eliminate this by placing your hand over the lid and easing it open after you press the last combo key. You can do this with the same hand you use to enter the combo, because there's about a half second delay from when you press the last key until it opens, giving you plenty of time to move your hand from the keypad to the top of the lid before it pops.
    Last edited by rikilii; September 9th, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Allegheny County)

Not at home to check the maker of the one I use but I'm pretty sure it's V-Line, or at least it's very similar to this one:

http://vlineind.com/html/compact.html

It's not digital but it uses a push-button combination that's really easy to use by feel in the dark. The quality of the one I have is very good, very heavy for its size. Only thing is it might not be big enough for two guns depending what they are.

(Bucks County)

I use the american security pistol box:

http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/frado...PB2_Electronic

I've had zero problems. I've owned it for two years, and I'm still on the original 9v battery. I've opened it several hundred times with no failures. It only has five buttons so you can open it in the dark, and you can turn off the "beep" sounds so no one will hear you open it. You could easily store two pistols and a few mags in it.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; September 9th, 2010 at 09:25 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    Are there kids in the house? I assume this is the motivation?

If not, my bedside lockbox is called a holster. Lockboxes are painfully not secure from any determined thief.

Past that, I have no suggestions past the gun vaults. I have one and use it to keep my 6 year old from exploring on her own.
    We only have a newborn in the house but there are more family members coming and going....people watching the baby etc...

Im looking for something that would deter a curious onlooker....not a hardened thief and gives me easy access.

a holster on the bed frame..

but i live alone..
    FJB

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Hi all,

Im in the market for a good bedside lockbox....it should be able to hold at least two pistols and their respective mags. Digital combo is a plus with a keyed backup (arent they all that way?) Ive looked at the GunVault series and im not that impressed. My full size gun safe is in another room so im looking for something closer to the master bedroom and secure.

Thanks in advance!

Vince
    Vince,

What don't you like about the GunVault's? My wife bought me one for my birthday because we just had our first child. I love the thing ...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Vince,

What don't you like about the GunVault's? My wife bought me one for my birthday because we just had our first child. I love the thing ...
    I used to own one and it was a pain with the keyboard sometimes....thats my biggest beef.....I was thinking of the biometric one....but I really want one that isnt to complicated to operate in the dark etc....

Im not saying I wouldnt buy a GunVault....but im still shopping around...

It has to hold a full size Glock 22 and a medium framed 9mm.

(Berks County)

The GunVault also uses a key which is faster then the key pad. I keep the Vault open while I sleep and when I'm at home. Only shut it and lock it up when I'm gone. I don't see myself ever needing to fumble to open it since it's open when I'm around.

In mine I can fit a S&W 686 4" - Glock 19 with three mags - Ruger LCP with two mags - some money - a watch - and a few papers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast