Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Help Customize My 870

Quote Originally Posted by S&W M&P40c View Post
    1: The pistol grip was not comfortable.

2: There was too much movement between the stock and receiver (where the "shock absorption" takes place) which didn't give it a solid feel needed for confident follow up shots.

3: When fired everything but the forend and stock moved so after each shot the action would be half way cycled if I didn't hold the forend ~just~ right. Don't ask me what "~just~ right" is either, I was too busy compensating for #4.......

4: I don't feel it absorbs recoil. I feel it simply delays it. Each shot was like a punch in the face because I could not maintain a proper cheek weld like I could with the factory stock. Therefore I started flinching.

IMO a horrible experience.
    The blackhawk non recoil-reducing stock might help with all that movement, since it's fixed. You can get an adjustable cheek piece for it. The NRS stock and powerpak will run you less than the recoil reducing stock alone.

th_PICT0012_edited.jpg
    870 parts on a NEF :

(Montgomery County)

Measure the LOP on the airrifle and find a stock with similar LOP. If it is too short, use a Limbsaver slip-over recoil pad to add additional LOP.

Kiss.
    You can stick so much on the shotgun that it becomes impractical. I'd just add a light system on it and let it ride.

(Lancaster County)

OK. Thanks for the input.

I ordered more parts to complete my project. As soon as I have the barrel I'll put up pictures.

Midway rocks.

- Remington 2 shot extension.
    - Remington 18.5" fixed/modified barrel with Tritium rifle sights
    - Remington Shurshot stock set
    - Flashlight clamp

Giggity giggity. I may add a heat shield and a side saddle yet, not sure.

Concerning the mag extension, I drilled out the "dimples" at the end of the factory mag tube and used a brake honing tool to smooth it out inside, couldn't have worked better. Make sure you put some blue on the bare metal.
    Last edited by S&W M&P40c; October 1st, 2010 at 10:36 PM.
    Read what I say as if I were speaking in a matter of fact, unassuming tone.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Al LaVodka View Post
    First thing I think you should change is to subtract 370...
    Al
    Pfftt, that's rubbish. I'm a Remington man.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&W M&P40c View Post
    OK. Thanks for the input.

I ordered more parts to complete my project. As soon as I have the barrel I'll put up pictures.

Midway rocks.

- Remington 2 shot extension.
    - Remington 18.5" fixed/modified barrel with Tritium rifle sights
    - Remington Shurshot stock set
    - Flashlight clamp

Giggity giggity. I may add a heat shield and a side saddle yet, not sure.

Concerning the mag extension, I drilled out the "dimples" at the end of the factory mag tube and used a brake honing tool to smooth it out inside, couldn't have worked better. Make sure you put some blue on the bare metal.
    I did the same thing with one of my 870s. I bought the Express with the 28" barrel and spent a couple hundred dollars turning into an 18 1/2" 7 shot . . . Then a few months ago I got this NEW for $379. I've been tossing the idea around of getting a barrel for mine with the rifle sights. That exact one that you just bought actually . . . Let me know how it shoots!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by KDE870 View Post
    I did the same thing with one of my 870s. I bought the Express with the 28" barrel and spent a couple hundred dollars turning into an 18 1/2" 7 shot . . . Then a few months ago I got this NEW for $379. I've been tossing the idea around of getting a barrel for mine with the rifle sights. That exact one that you just bought actually . . . Let me know how it shoots!
    When I was still researching stocks I got a chance to shoulder a turkey gun with the rifle sights and the shurshot stock and I had to have it. I got the stock and it is super comfortable. However, the barrel was on back order and I still have to wait a few weeks

I'll update as soon as I can.
    Read what I say as if I were speaking in a matter of fact, unassuming tone.

(Northumberland County)

ever try some Winchester #5 MAGNUM Dram Equiv 2-3/4 turkey loads? i use them for small game hunting (they kick like a mule) , they give me better reach but are $$$ 10 bucks for 10 shells.

i have my 870 express all stock with 28 " barrel , i love it and plan on keepin it stock.
    Last edited by TXDMERC73; October 2nd, 2010 at 07:02 PM.

(Cambria County)

[QUOTE=TXDMERC73;1354828]ever try some Winchester #5 MAGNUM Dram Equiv 2-3/4 turkey loads? i use them for small game hunting (they kick like a mule) , they give me better reach but are $$$ 10 bucks for 10 shells./QUOTE]
    I think that you are talking about Winchester Supreme HV Turkey Loads (STH125). A 2 3/4" shell with an once and a half of #5 shot, they say the velocity is 1300 fps. That translates into 2460 ft/lb of energy. They sure do kick !
    Try the Remington SureShot Pheasant High Brass #5 (R12P5). A little less lead & velocity with 3/4 of the energy (1800 ft/lb). They are a lot more shootable and are still a powerfull load.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast