Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Training

Default Training

Hello from New Jersey new to site. I am looking for training and I am having a hard time finding anything close and reasonable. I stumbled on to Argive Defense Systems in Hellertown. Does anyone know anything about them and are they any good? They are reasonably priced and close. Just trying to get a feel of the general consensus. They are not as advertised as a Trident Concepts and MDTS. Trident and MDTS are a little higher in price but, I realize that price isn’t always better that’s why I am inquiring. Thanks and any other recommendations are welcome. I want to stay in a 2-3 hour drive if possible. I am in South Jersey.
    Thanks again

(Chester County)

Default Re: Training

What kind of training are you looking for? Basic safety, tactical, self defense, target, handgun, rifle, etc....?

Quote Originally Posted by PaTom View Post
    What kind of training are you looking for? Basic safety, tactical, self defense, target, handgun, rifle, etc....?
    Primarily in self defense but, I would like tactical training because in some confrontations you may need to use close quarters fighting. It doesn’t hurt to be trained as smart as possible. I am sure most situations you don’t and won’t need to be combat savvy but, it wouldn’t hurt to know. So I would say tactical in both handgun and rifle.

(Northampton County)

Its a bit North of you but a lot of NJ shooters train with the Gunskills Training Group in Phillipsburg NJ. www.gunskills.com

(Bucks County)

I took the Center Axis Re-lock class at Argive 2 years ago. I found Mr Desrosier to be an excellent instructor. I learned a lot over the course of those 2 days. We shot a lot of rounds and ran through many different scenarios (low light shooting, a 'third party' trying to interfere with you after you have drawn on someone, etc). I found all of it very informative and worthwhile. Safety was paramount.

My background is as a recreational shooter trying to educate himself for self-defense. I am not a high-speed, low-drag kind of guy, no .mil background.

(Allegheny County)

http://www.insightstraining.com/

theres a lot of good opertunities for training if you travel over here to Western PA. We have a Hackathorn class this month, Vickers next month, lots of good stuff lined up next year.

Id stay away from "Center Axis Relock", and any orginization that teaches that sort of mumbo jumbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypno_Toad View Post

My background is as a recreational shooter trying to educate himself for self-defense. I am not a high-speed, low-drag kind of guy, no .mil background.

Same here but, I want to ramp it up. I don't expect to be Rambo. I just want to be smarter than the criminals and know how to act in violent scenarios and I think the tactical training is what I want. I have no training at all now with the exception of the basic handgun course I took for my CCW permit.

http://www.hsiusana.com/

email them for training. last time i took a combative pistol type class it was just 3 students. great value, 1on1 and you'll love that range too.

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    http://www.hsiusana.com/

email them for training. last time i took a combative pistol type class it was just 3 students. great value, 1on1 and you'll love that range too.
    Sounds like you shoot there before. Did you ever take any of the classes and how were they? Sounds and looks good and only about 30 miles away. Reasonable it would also save on a hotel room I wouldn't need one. Thanks I'll check it out.

I love this range, (really a training center). 2 things i don't like is their hours, a stupid neighbor complained and now they can't shoot after 5 and 1230 on sunday. and the fact that's in NJ. the owners, RO and even the cafeteria lady (yup they serve food) are really nice.

outdoor and indoor. theres like 8 ranges, and probably 100s of shooting lanes up to 300yds i think. they have skeet, self thrown and auto. no stupid rules there. shoot as fast as you want, load as much as you mag can hold, draw from holster, shoot from prone, supine, etc. you can run and gun, bring props, use your car, practice dismount and shooting around cars etc. as long as you know what you're doing.

they also train K9 there, Sheriffs dept is always there i alway joke with them bout being pulled over.

before 9/15/10 membership is 133.33 a year, after it's back to 250.00. (edit 10/3/10 I was there today and a buddy sign up for 150.00) My brother just joined after being my guest for the 8th time this year.

you got to bring your own ammo, clays, targets etc.

it's hard to reach them when if you try to call, but they're open everyday expect for easter and xmass.

I usually go there on sundays. (maybe not this sunday tho, got to fit in some fishing) PM if you want to check it out. guest fees are 15.00.

i know i sound like a spokesmen, but i'm not, there's a lot of potential for this range to grow, they have over 2k acres. the ppl there always treat me right, last time they gave me over 60rds of buck shot, some shotgun tips and drills and told me to go practice with it and show my peoples.

just be safe when there and drive carefully there's always a cop somewhere in a speed trap and the towns people don't like outsiders. but there a good mixture of members there.
    Last edited by dunsho; October 3rd, 2010 at 11:13 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast