Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default are there 2 different PICS checks??

i have been applying for a ltcf since 7/9/10 and i was told there are 2 different back ground checks? one for purchase and one for carry? i got my purchase no problem ltcf nothing but problems. first they said they got my results back as undetermined an they said they sent me out a letter witch i never received.
    now they say they have to do the whole process all over again what ever that means. even if i clear the purchase check can they still deny me an ltcf?

Default Re: are there 2 different PICS checks??

Quote Originally Posted by edv177 View Post
    i have been applying for a ltcf since 7/9/10 and i was told there are 2 different back ground checks? one for purchase and one for carry? i got my purchase no problem ltcf nothing but problems. first they said they got my results back as undetermined an they said they sent me out a letter witch i never received.
    now they say they have to do the whole process all over again what ever that means. even if i clear the purchase check can they still deny me an ltcf?
    First, a denial letter should have been sent certified mail. So they should have proof whether you received it or not. For the second part, it depends. Have you been charged with anything ever?
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Philadelphia County)

Yes and no. A person may be eligible to buy and own a firearm, but having a criminal record for certain crimes may make that person ineligible for a LTCF. I'm sure someone else can explain things better than me and give specific examples, but I think most of the crimes involve drugs and alcohol, maybe disorderly conduct?. Have you ever been cited for possession of weed or anything when you were younger? DUI? Maybe they have you mixed up with someone of the same name, DOB, etc.
    Those are just examples of what I've read about on the forum. Again, I'm sure someone will chime in and provide better info.
    Last edited by PHLJJS; September 7th, 2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Typo

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    First, a denial letter should have been sent certified mail. So they should have proof whether you received it or not. For the second part, it depends. Have you been charged with anything ever?
    A denial should have also been promptly followed by a refund of nearly all of the application fee.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    yes but it was down graded to a disorderly persons. witch i was told is lower then a violation. don't know at this point

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    Yes and no. A person may be eligible to buy and own a firearm, but having a criminal record for certain crimes may make that person ineligible for a LTCF. I'm sure someone else can explain things better than me and give specific examples, but I think most of the crimes involve drugs and alcohol, maybe disorderly conduct?. Have you ever been cited for possession of weed or anything when you were younger? DUI? Maybe they have you mixed up with someone of the same name, DOB, etc.
    Those are just examples of what I've read about on the forum. Again, I'm sure someone will chime in and provide better info.
    well at 42 its quit hard to live an absolutely perfect life and i had some issues in my early years but its about a recent arrest i had witch i had nothing to do with but this is after the fact. let me explain:

i was with a friend of mine i had not seen in years. he asked me to stop at a store because his GF needed some stuff for dinner that night. when he came back 2 blocks later we get pulled over? they just told us to get out of the car, checked our licenses and all of a sudden they began searching us and the car they find 4, 1 gram baggies of marijuana on my friend ( witch i had knot known he had or even smoked it) next thing i knew we were under arrest and was charged with the same crime as my friend an i had nothing on me nor do i smoke marijuana, i was willing to take a blood test even but didn't matter they had there catch for the day. the cop felt bad cause he was like "don't worry you'll be out in no time and they will amend these charges". next day i had court and explained this to the judge and she down graded the charge to a disorderly persons with a $600 fine and was told its not a misdemeanor but a violation. so that's the deal, now i called FL state police cause i'm applying for an ltcf in FL and i explained tht to them and they said that should not be a problem? don't know anymore

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    A denial should have also been promptly followed by a refund of nearly all of the application fee.
    i did not receive anything in the mail! no letter or refund. i bet she was just hoping i would just disappear but i can assure you tht wont happen unless they arrange it. at this point i wouldn't doubt it non the least

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by edv177 View Post
    ...they find 4, 1 gram baggies of marijuana on my friend ( witch i had knot known he had or even smoked it) next thing i knew we were under arrest and was charged with the same crime as my friend...
    Just how recent?

I wonder if somewhere they saw the pending charge with mention of a controlled substance and even without a conviction they decided to hide behind the character clause.

Still, in any event the Sheriff to the best of my undrstanding should have denied and refunded the majority of the application fee.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post
    Just how recent?

I wonder if somewhere they saw the pending charge with mention of a controlled substance and even without a conviction they decided to hide behind the character clause.

Still, in any event the Sheriff to the best of my undrstanding should have denied and refunded the majority of the application fee.
    funny thing is FL has no problem with this charge. and yes it does show up as a CDS. as far as character gos, thats the only thing ive had against me other then tht im clean as a whistle. but well see im suppose to get a challenge letter in a week

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    You expect a sheriff to follow the law in this state???? Did you hit your head recently?
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast