Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bedford County)

Default My Dad saw an OC'er

So it looks as though you can spur people to educate themselves when OC'ing, even if you were unaware of their presence.

My dad was at the East Freedom Wallmart and saw a "huge dude with a big ole' revolver" in the sporting goods section. I didn't know that my dad was unaware that OC was legal in PA. Apparently he was very intrigued by this and looked into it himself online. He then was telling me about it a few days later; We had a wonderful discussion about Open Carry, Gun Rights, 2A, etc... I just thought it was interesting that somebody inspired him to educate himself on the subject just by their presence.
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Berks County)

Default Re: My Dad saw an OC'er

Quote Originally Posted by jshwak View Post
    So it looks as though you can spur people to educate themselves when OC'ing, even if you were unaware of their presence.

My dad was at the East Freedom Wallmart and saw a "huge dude with a big ole' revolver" in the sporting goods section. I didn't know that my dad was unaware that OC was legal in PA. Apparently he was very intrigued by this and looked into it himself online. He then was telling me about it a few days later; We had a wonderful discussion about Open Carry, Gun Rights, 2A, etc... I just thought it was interesting that somebody inspired him to educate himself on the subject just by their presence.
    All thats left is to get your dad interested in carrying.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle09027 View Post
    Yea, he's very pro 2A, and has an LTCF.. but like many, he rarely exercises his right to carry.
    I am not a lawyer !!

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

If there were mores stories like these instead of mostly OCers being assholes to LEOs I would be even more a supporter of OC.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    If there were mores stories like these instead of mostly OCers being assholes to LEOs I would be even more a supporter of OC.

There are, but I guess you would have to be as enthusiastic about finding them as you seem to be about "assholes".

But we wouldn't want reality to get in the way of your preconceived notions about the truth, now would we?
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; September 6th, 2010 at 09:53 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle09027 View Post
    and joining this forum

(Bucks County)

I can say.. I have met a lot of people on here who OC.

I cc most of the time..

I have had no issues, no arguments, in fact one of the coolest things I have found is the discussion between different people interacting and using intellect to discuss things.

I have met libertarians who OC, big guys who OC, women who OC, republicans who OC, short people, tall people, big people, and funny looking people (myself) who just are enthusiastic about 2A, education and safety.

No one tries to force their opinion, or style upon some one else. In fact the discussions that I have had have been very enlightening.

What I think does happen is you don't get to hear people's tone on the forum. Now there are some who may be more glued to their line of thinking.. but I can honestly say I have met no one so far that I would not like to meet again. YOU GUYS KNOW WHO YOU ARE....

They seem to be the same people writing, attending, calling, meeting.. to keep and educate those who may have skewed ideals.

(Why just when I went to the beach in WW this past weekend I met people in NJ who felt I was a gun nut and said guns are ok in the house but why should some one carry them everywhere? Instead of me getting on my soap box I simple asked them about the crazies.. and when do people expect them to hit? Then I let them know it is a right for a reason and when we have more time I would like to discuss the actual factual information as opposed to what NJ drills into their brain. Most could not believe you can carry on your person in almost every state. They just looked at me with a blank stare as if the light was beginning to peak into their minds.. if this were true then...)

So OC'ers have a right just as everyone has a right. Now some have a preference. but it is just that a preference... be kind.. remind...

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    I can say.. I have met a lot of people on here who OC.

I cc most of the time..

I have had no issues, no arguments, in fact one of the coolest things I have found is the discussion between different people interacting and using intellect to discuss things.

I have met libertarians who OC, big guys who OC, women who OC, republicans who OC, short people, tall people, big people, and funny looking people (myself) who just are enthusiastic about 2A, education and safety.

No one tries to force their opinion, or style upon some one else. In fact the discussions that I have had have been very enlightening.

What I think does happen is you don't get to hear people's tone on the forum. Now there are some who may be more glued to their line of thinking.. but I can honestly say I have met no one so far that I would not like to meet again. YOU GUYS KNOW WHO YOU ARE....

They seem to be the same people writing, attending, calling, meeting.. to keep and educate those who may have skewed ideals.

(Why just when I went to the beach in WW this past weekend I met people in NJ who felt I was a gun nut and said guns are ok in the house but why should some one carry them everywhere? Instead of me getting on my soap box I simple asked them about the crazies.. and when do people expect them to hit? Then I let them know it is a right for a reason and when we have more time I would like to discuss the actual factual information as opposed to what NJ drills into their brain. Most could not believe you can carry on your person in almost every state. They just looked at me with a blank stare as if the light was beginning to peak into their minds.. if this were true then...)

So OC'ers have a right just as everyone has a right. Now some have a preference. but it is just that a preference... be kind.. remind...
    This is an excellent post. I was one of those people that did not realize that you could Legally OC in Pa (or most states for that matter). When I first got my LTCF, I nervously covered my gun like it was a WMD that I didn't want anybody to know that I had. I actually felt paranoid carrying it for fear of getting in trouble if it showed a little.

This is why the PAFOA community is so vitally important. Whether or not you OC is irrelevant, the important thing is that there is no excuse in this day and age to be ignorant of your rights! It is my hope that every gun owner whom carries concealed does so because they feel that it suits them best; not because they are unaware of their right to carry openly, and proudly so.
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by jshwak View Post
    My dad was at the East Freedom Wallmart and saw a "huge dude with a big ole' revolver" in the sporting goods section.
    Now if your dad had said he saw a short fat guy with a Glock it might have been me Josh!

What are you OC'ing these days? I remember when you bought your first pistol...
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~