Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: What Do You Want Most In A Gun Shop?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Large Selection of NEW Firearms

44 42.31%
  • Large Selection of USED Firearms

53 50.96%
  • Large Selection of Milsurp/Combloc Type Firearms

23 22.12%
  • Large Selection of Hunting/Traditional Sporting Guns/Ammo

14 13.46%
  • Large Selection of "Tactical" Guns & Gear

23 22.12%
  • Large Selection of Ammo, Including Bulk & milsurp

35 33.65%
  • Easy to Use Website with Location, Phone Number, Email and Hours of Operation

23 22.12%
  • Low Prices

62 59.62%
  • Convenient Hours, Including Evenings, Saturdays & Sundays

51 49.04%
  • Accessible & Attentive Staff

81 77.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default What will keep you coming back to a gun shop?

Recently I've noticed a number gun shops going out of business & other new shops opening up. As a consumer and small business owner myself, I prefer to support other independently owned, local businesses rather than spend my money at big corporate stores or online. That is becoming increasingly difficult in the gun market though.

I thought a poll showing what is important to members here might be helpful to new and existing shops to help them remain competitive, and keep their doors open.

What is it that you look for when you go to a gun shop? And what will keep you coming back? Think about why you might go to a big chain store or online super-retailer instead of your local shop when making your choices. You can make multiple choices.

I know for me, it's mostly hours of operation. My schedule doesn't allow me a lot of time for shopping during the week. If I'm going to go to a shop it's usually in the evening or on the weekend, especially Sundays. Most independent stores aren't open on Sundays and close earlier than their chain store competitors. I'd happily spend an extra few dollars on a gun at a local shop, but if they aren't open that's kind of hard to do.

Besides that, it's a large selection of used guns & milsurp items.

Feel free to add comments accordingly, especially if your reason isn't included on the list. If this poll is successful I'll follow it up with a "What will ensure that you NEVER return to a gun shop" poll.
    Last edited by mak47; September 6th, 2010 at 12:52 AM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: What will keep you coming back to a gun shop?

Staff is most important, I don't know how many times I have been to a shop and the a-hole behind the counter bashes what you are looking for or looking at. The good shop owner or employee will recognize that everyones tastes are different, and try to cater to everyone.

Keeping the cost down of transfers. Easy no hassle orders for guns....kind of goes with the staff being good I guess. Been in a few shops that were pretty unwilling to order things, and very pushy on what they have in stock.

Low prices are always nice, but If given a choice over a shop with the same prices or even a little higher, but the service and people are excellent, guess which shop I am going to?
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(York County)

Absolutely, it's the staff. Unless, of course, the prices are really ridiculous.

I don't care if they have the largest selection of new or used... or whatever. I'll pay a little more for a firearm if I like the people I'm buying from.

Not only that, everytime I go to the shop with the intent to buy a firearm, I make it a point to look at a few that I know I don't want right now... It allows me to make sure I want the one I planned on buying, and allows me to get a feel for the others - and hopefully learn more about them from the guy/gal at the shop. And I'm one of those customers that sometimes tests salespeople with all kinds of questions to see if they're biased towards a particular item they sell, and why... I'm a sales guy... so I want to know if they're trying to steer me in a particular direction because it'll make them more money, or because they really think gun x is better than gun y.

I know a lot about a some different brands of firearms... and some about a lot of different brands... I can't tell you how many stores have not earned my business simply because I overheard the people behind the counter telling other customers what they thought would makes the sale- often times not just inaccurate information, but blatent lies to people who know less than they do. I like salespeople, I can deal with an "i don't know, but I'll find out"... but I really hate liars in any sales position.

I'm also quite sure I do this differently than most. I created a database that I add to, every time I buy a firearm(or significantly priced accessory), which also contains a review of who(where) I bought the item from, and whether or not I'd buy from them again. Every time I get ready to buy from a shop, I take a look to see if they're in my database, to make sure I was happy with their service. Often times it's hard to remember if I was happy with their service... especially when I'm happy that I ended up with a particular firearm.

Friendliness, knowledgeable, and honesty is worth a few extra dollars to a local shop. But I suppose I should add this... I'm not so selective when it comes to ammo purchasing. If it's exactly I want, and it's all I'm shopping for, I'll buy from whoever has it the cheapest.
    Last edited by benc4liberty; September 6th, 2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: spelling errors... give me a break, it's 3am!

(Luzerne County)

I agree with the staff/owner. I need to trust that I'm dealing with a fair, knowledgeable gun person. One who won't give me bad advice to get my money. One who will work with me to find what is appropriate for me.

(York County)

Post Re: What will keep you coming back to a gun shop?

I'm more into low prices and good selections then the staff. I'll do my homework before I go shopping. As long as the owner/employees are not pushy bullshitters I could care less about their knowledge of what they are selling.

(Lackawanna County)

I do business a 2 shops and it's because of the owner/employee thats behind the counter that keeps me returning.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

I guess Im weird, but I love the smell of my LFS. Gun powder, fresh stocks, the new gun smell.....

(Bucks County)

Tanners - Hunting
    Classic Pistol - Shooting
    Surplus City - Close and Good People

Reasons:

Staff is great
    Prices
    Inventory
    Hours

What they don't have I get at Cabelas (hunting related)

The only thing missing from magazines and gun shops is ..... they should have a gun powder air freshener.

To me, the staff is the most important. I like to be called by my name when I go in. I don't like to get muzzled when I ask to see a pistol in the case etc... I just happen to have a shop close by that has a good new gun section, and a great used section that usually includes some military stuff. They have great customer service and the prices can't be beat. I can go in and talk deer hunting and trap/skeet shooting for an hour while browsing. Oh, and the prices are the best in the area. Kudos to Edinboro Outdoors for being all the things to choose from on the list above.
    Jules

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by edritchey View Post
    I'm more into low prices and good selections then the staff. I'll do my homework before I go shopping. As long as the owner/employees are not pushy bullshitters I could care less about their knowledge of what they are selling.
    I agree. But be careful. A few around this forum will accuse you of putting local good shops out of "buisness" http://tinyurl.com/2a52tcz
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast