Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: What Do You Want Most In A Gun Shop?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Large Selection of NEW Firearms

44 42.31%
  • Large Selection of USED Firearms

53 50.96%
  • Large Selection of Milsurp/Combloc Type Firearms

23 22.12%
  • Large Selection of Hunting/Traditional Sporting Guns/Ammo

14 13.46%
  • Large Selection of "Tactical" Guns & Gear

23 22.12%
  • Large Selection of Ammo, Including Bulk & milsurp

35 33.65%
  • Easy to Use Website with Location, Phone Number, Email and Hours of Operation

23 22.12%
  • Low Prices

62 59.62%
  • Convenient Hours, Including Evenings, Saturdays & Sundays

51 49.04%
  • Accessible & Attentive Staff

81 77.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: What will keep you coming back to a gun shop?

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Staff is most important, I don't know how many times I have been to a shop and the a-hole behind the counter bashes what you are looking for or looking at.
    Yeah, this kind of stuff kills me. If it's so lousy, why are you carrying it in your shop?
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Mercer County)

WHAT DO WANT MOST IN A GUNSHOP.

IMHO. The answer to this question is a little harder than the standard one liners of staff or selection.

I have been shooting and collecting firearms since the late 50's and have a "small" collection of firearms and have amassed a "little" knowledge on the firearms I am interested in. I am not interested in tupperware, the tactical coolness of the firearm doesn't interest me that much, the fit & finish of the blued steel are selling points to me. My interests at the present time are 1st Generation SAAs, Colt model 1911s manufactured prior to WWII, Smith & Wesson Revolvers from the 1930s to the early 60s, Automags (Pasadena), Detonics, 1911 pattern .38 Supers, Triple locks, etc.

What I want in a gunshop (this will keep me coming back/and spending money their establishment):
    Large inventory of both new & used firearms, my interests are varied.
    Must be QUALITY firearms, junk is junk will always be junk.
    Knowledgeable Staff, if I ask a question about the Union Switch Model 1911 I am looking at do not try to BS me as I probably know the answer.
    Price is low on my scale since I have been buying investment type firearms for the last 5 or 6 years. Remember you get want you pay for.

If pushed for a one line answer HONESTY

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by edritchey View Post
    I'm more into low prices and good selections then the staff. I'll do my homework before I go shopping. As long as the owner/employees are not pushy bullshitters I could care less about their knowledge of what they are selling.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I want to see good, competitive prices on used and new guns. And ammo as well. Aside from that I'll buy a gun from Barack Obama if the price is right. "Hey Barack, heard you've got $300 complete ARs, hook it up!!"

In all seriousness, I'm able to overlook the help being anything but (helpful) if the price is right. I'm willing to ignore idiots to better my wallet.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Venango County)

To me, it is the staff. I know I could have gotten a few of my toys for a few bucks less. Doing my research, my local store was only about twenty dollars above the competition.

Howeve, when I go in (as well as others I know), I am called to by my name. Shown the latest in toys, even if they know I can't afford it, or am not interested in it, they still say "Hey, take a look at this." I recently went in to buy a set of rings, and mounting hardware. They know I don't have any of the right tools for the job, and said I could use their bench, and their tools. Just not to hurt myself, break anything, and to clean up when I was done.

If I have any questions, or any concerns, or need any information, they always give it to me. Even if it is near the end of a long day, and they are tired. I once went in about five till close to pick up some accessories. I ran in, asked if it was to late, and we all ended up getting out about a quarter after.

Believe me, I am all for saving a few dollars. However, for the respect, good service, and friendship, I would gladly spend twenty dollars more on a firearm.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

Can I just check all the boxes? 'Cause I would.

Below are my choices, in order of priority, and why.

1. Accessible & Attentive Staff
    Bad staff will drive me away even from the best of deals/selections.
    Good staff will pull me in, make we willing to pay a bit more just to say thanks.

2. Selection: Which is most important varies with what I'm currently looking for. My general interests rank these as follows:
    Large Selection of NEW Firearms
    Large Selection of Hunting/Traditional Sporting Guns/Ammo
    Large Selection of "Tactical" Guns & Gear
    Large Selection of Milsurp/Combloc Type Firearms
    Large Selection of USED Firearms

3. Large Selection of Ammo, Including Bulk & milsurp
    Type: I'm always annoyed if there is only one type of the ammo for which I am looking. Not just 150 .308. I'd like to choose from 150, 168, 180 .308, preferable those weights from several manufacturers.

Quantity: I don't expect a pallet load of my choice to be available. If I want that much I'll place an order. Just a box or two is generally all I'm looking for.

4. Low Prices
    I'm generally looking for a specific item. Then I shop for prices. And which price I take can be influenced by other matters, like service and distance from my home.

5. Convenient Hours, Including Evenings, Saturdays & Sundays
    The more convenient the better. But I'll accommodate for great service/selection.

----
    A. Easy to Use Website with Location, Phone Number, Email and Hours of Operation
    This is beyond ranking. It's 'must have' today, and the above information is bare minimum.

Better if the site has photos of the exterior/interior of the shop, a list of manufacturers and types of products carried, Current special deals. Ideally tied into an inventory system so I can find out if you have what I am currently seeking. It is often hard to get calls into a shop, so it's great if the website can answer my question withing me having to pick up a phone.
    Last edited by new_shooter; September 6th, 2010 at 03:27 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by new_shooter View Post
    A. Easy to Use Website with Location, Phone Number, Email and Hours of Operation
    This is beyond ranking. It's 'must have' today, and the above information is bare minimum.

Better if the site has photos of the exterior/interior of the shop, a list of manufacturers and types of products carried, Current special deals. Ideally tied into an inventory system so I can find out if you have what I am currently seeking. It is often hard to get calls into a shop, so it's great if the website can answer my question withing me having to pick up a phone.
    Interesting. I wouldn't even consider ranking this as I find most gun shop websites to have no useful information whatsoever(excluding hours of operation and phone number[if they even keep that up to date, or follow their posted business hours]). How many gun shops have you been to that are closed on a random day of the week, or out to lunch for 6 hours in the middle of the day. I can't tell you how many times I'm heading to the range and pull off to some little podunk shop because I forgot targets or my disposable ear plugs. How many times they seem to be closed or "out to lunch".

Many shops attempt to list their inventory online, but it becomes more of a hassle than anything when trying to keep that up to date. The few who actually do try and keep their inventory online, and updated successfully, generally have an extremely poor format, to the point where you might think a 10 year old made it(most can do better, 10 year olds..). It becomes to annoying to navigate that you usually give up and move on.

All the gun shop websites I've ever come across (with the exception of a few) were unprofessional, crowded, jumbled, hard to navigate, and just look like shit to be blunt. I'd be happy if some of these shops had a blank page with "location, business hours, telephone/fax #, specials, email address". Even the e-mail address is iffy. How many times do you hear about people shooting off e-mails never to get a response? Pretty often.

I don't see how anything other than that is a "must have". Saying what I've said, I think that "bare minimum" you described is all I want, nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by jcabin; September 6th, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    Tanners - Hunting
    Classic Pistol - Shooting
    Surplus City - Close and Good People

Reasons:

Staff is great
    Prices
    Inventory
    Hours

What they don't have I get at Cabelas (hunting related)

The only thing missing from magazines and gun shops is ..... they should have a gun powder air freshener.
    I thought that's what hoppe's #9 was for.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Montgomery County)

It is all about the staff and the 'feel' of the store. I am female- how do they treat women? Are we treated like a joke or are we ignored?

My favorite shops have means to sit and listen and/or join in the small talk. Listening to the small talk in gun shops and this board were my two biggest sources in info when I first got started. Those shops I feel "I owe". So I will always start there.

(Northampton County)

A nice rack.

(Bucks County)

A nice rack.

Nice...!!!

Hopps #9 is great... but gun powder I have grown to like more.. especially since I started with the inline 13 years ago.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast