Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Bump in the Night....

I live in a very rural community.

On an early Thursday morning from my bed I heard a loud bang that sounded like a door being kicked in.

I retrieved my .40 and debated whether to assume a proactive stance or maintain a defensive position at the top of the stairs in my house.

I decided to creep downstairs and check the main entrance - nothing.

I checked all of the windows; all were secure.

Finally, I went down the cellar steps only to find all OK.

I checked out the whole house.

Some months earlier 2 guys tried to break in to a neighbors house (older lady) by propping up a ladder, so I was concerned.

I never found out what the noise was but was able to get back to sleep with confidence. My wife never woke up.

What would I have done without my pistol and, just suppose, that it was what it sounded like?!

Anyone want to debrief me on with what you might have done?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Bump in the Night....

There aren't people wandering around my property, either.

The situation you described happens to me about once a month. You wouldn't believe some of the noises. Some of them are a certain door kicked in, etc. Full alert. Then, nothing.

I learned at a young age how to discriminate the noises of humans. Versus wind, animals, or even monkeys. Those are lessons burned into my brain even deeper than my olfactory memories. Those noises have never followed any of these sounds. Plus, the actual opening of any entryway or breakage of glass would have provided me an unmistakable signal.

So, after a certain amount of time, you gotta check things out. Despite the instructions in the training courses to hunker down and call police. Which I am glad I did not do 20 times in the first couple years I lived here.

Get a couple dogs and a comprehensive alarm system. If you can't afford the alarm system, get door and window chimes.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I've sworn I've heard my mother coming home, only to go downstairs and see that everything is still locked up and no mother in sight. All I see is the african grey parrot. LOL that bird is something else! In fact he has learned to mimic gunshots ( not at full decibel since he sure isn't hearing it that loud- the only birds around when I'm shooting are fowl) and does them for ME. How in heck...?

So did you ever figure out what went BUMP? I assume you do not have an african grey parrot.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Armstrong County)

I have had the same experience. One time I swore I heard someone trying to open my outside door to the basement. I did the exact same thing, I waited to hear anymore sounds of an intruder then checked all doors and windows in the house.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    I live in a very rural community.
    I see your from Sullivan County. I hunt in Sullivan County, right on the border with Bradford. I'm jealous that you have the internet and were able to post. I can't get 2 TV stations to come in clear at the mountain house, let alone internet or cable/ satelite TV.

Knowing just how rural that area is, the climbing burglary rate and how long it would probobly take PSP to get to you, I would have grabbed my gun, locked the bedroom door and waited a few minutes to see if I had heard anything else before venturing out to see what was going on. If I heard more noises, I'd stay put and call the cops. If all was quiet, I'd most likely go investigate.

(Clinton County)

Something like this happened to me. We live in a trailer sitting on a full basement. The noise came from the basement. One difference was I woke up my wife. I went to the top of the basement stairs and listened. Wife had phone to call 911 if needed plus her pistol in hand. No other sound so I went down to see what made the noise. Never figured out what it was.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Luzerne County)

You done good! I have an 870 express with pistol grip to check for intruders.

Maybe your heat system kicking in? We have hot water heat,and when it first turns on, you usually get a really loud bang!

(Chester County)

Smile Re: Bump in the Night....

Did you take a cell phone with you, just in case you do encounter someone, you can make the 911 call while keeping them at gunpoint. A good flashlight is another valueable tool to have at zero dark thirty.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    I see your from Sullivan County. I hunt in Sullivan County, right on the border with Bradford. I'm jealous that you have the internet and were able to post. I can't get 2 TV stations to come in clear at the mountain house, let alone internet or cable/ satelite TV.
    That sucks.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast