Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default How many centerfire duds?

I can only remember ever having one centerfire dud. A round of 9mm Remington UMC, which is sitting on my loading bench so that some day I get around to breaking it down for components. I've had lots of bulk .22LR duds, but just the one centerfire round.

I've documented about 6000 rounds of factory 9mm, add another 1000 of UMC .45ACP, 500 Miwall Reloads, and 100 Federal HST, 1250 rounds of LC and Q3131A 5.56mm and some Winchester value pack .223 and some Centurion. Probably half a dozen 30 round mags full of surplus 7.62x39mm, and about 300 rounds of 5.45x39. Before all that, a few thousand rounds of mixed pistol ammo while I was renting guns and shooting Dad's. Reloads - 11,150 9mm, 930 .45ACP, 450 .223, 50 .308.

So yeah, a lot of money turned into noise and smoke.

Just curious about the experiences of others.
    Last edited by Suburban; September 4th, 2010 at 02:09 PM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Default Re: How many centerfire duds?

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Just curious about the experiences of others.
    The only misfires on center fire, I ever had, were due to a broken firing pin assembly. Clearly fault of the gun, not the ammo. In the larger picture, it was actually my fault because I broke the gun in the first place.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(York County)

No center fire duds yet; knock on wood. Have had 22lr duds, remington thunderbolts mostly but none with CCI ammo.

(Chester County)

Only had one and it happened last year - .25 Auto Federal Classic
    IANAL

(Monroe County)

One 9mm blazer brass, ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Luzerne County)

None that I can remember.

Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Since 1964, when I began shooting in earnest, I have never had a dud of any kind in modern UNITED STATES military or commercial centerfire ammunition. (Like the rest of you, 22RF is another matter entirely). I've still got a few boxes of mil-surp 30-06 from 1927 that is fundamentally as accurate and reliable as anything current - corrosive-primed, to be sure, but relaible and CONSISTENTLY ACCURATE

Though I have had some foreign commercial and foreign surplus "duds", but in many thousands of rounds, maybe a handful at most. (Well, there was that batch of Pakistani 303-Brit that I knew going in was 50-50, because it had been underwater for a few weeks ).

Handloaded and rimfire are excepted from any generalizations. There is always an opportunity for mystery there. And I guess that I have had more 22LR misfires in the last ten years than in all the time before, and it seems like Remington was a higher percentage of those. I probably shoot more Remington than any other brand. I can't ever recall a misfire in 22MAG in any brand.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

I have only had problem with Wolf 7.62X39.
    Jules

(Monroe County)

I've had a few can't say how many. Funny thing is a guy on my firring point this year had 2 duds in 20rds with some MK262 Mod 1. It cost him on the 300yr rapid.

Most duds I've had was some '41 .303 most of the cases looked like heck. I pulled a couple apart and it even had the old stick powder. They lit like a candle with a lighter. I had 15 out of bandoleer fail. The store took them back and gave me 2nd one that was about as bad. That whole wait 30sec after pulling the trigger and keep muzzle down range- was no crap I kept the rifle up for 20sec, lowered it and help firm for 30sec more then BANG! I've seen wet pan black powder go faster.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Northampton County)

I think I saw one in 9mm a few months ago. But it wasn't my ammo and I didn't examine it that closely.

I've shot hundreds of thousands of rounds (guess) since the eighties and, I don't remember at least, seeing another one. I've seen plenty of .22 rf. And once a 9mm rf (yes) hangfire. I think I might have seen a couple centerfire hangfires over the decades, but never in my guns. I'm really not sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast