Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Defensive pistol reliability

How many failure free rounds do you fire out of a gun before you carry it? What is your procedure to get ready to carry a gun?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Defensive pistol reliability

1000 rounds

500 FMJ
    500 JHP or carry ammo.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(York County)

0 out of 500-600 so far with a Glock. That is used too by the way. Previous owner said he fired around 700 or so.

If I get a new pistol, I usually like to fire 100 rounds out of it before I carry it to break it in. If it fires 100 rounds without problem I'm confident in it.

(Clearfield County)

I suppose everyone has a little different approach and, as a LE firearms instructor for about 23 years here is mine. Except for some extra tight target pistols that need formal break in, I believe a quality service pistol with good magazines and service ammunition should be pretty reliable out of the box after a good cleaning and lubrication. If it is stopping after having 50 rounds or so put through it, I would be looking at it very closely for something wrong. That being said, I think it is more important to train for the pistol to fail. No matter how many rounds you fired with it without a problem, no matter the brand of pistol, no matter how reliable it has been in the past, always be mentally ready in case the very next round fails. It is good to spend time looking at the magazines; spring condition, follower action, etc. More malfunctions are caused by magazines than the pistol. No matter how reliable the pistol and magazine are the next round could be bad and no way you can tell before trying to shoot the round. To prepare for that when you go to the range to do defensive pistol training, load your magazines with plastic dummy rounds mixed in and do it often. The dummies will cause failures and soon you will be clearing stoppages without even thinking about it. This will have you better prepared for that stoppage that may happen at the wrong time. We all want a 100% reliable pistol, magazine, and ammo combination but that is not reality--sooner or later, it will stop. Just my 2 cents.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    I suppose everyone has a little different approach and, as a LE firearms instructor for about 23 years here is mine. Except for some extra tight target pistols that need formal break in, I believe a quality service pistol with good magazines and service ammunition should be pretty reliable out of the box after a good cleaning and lubrication. If it is stopping after having 50 rounds or so put through it, I would be looking at it very closely for something wrong. That being said, I think it is more important to train for the pistol to fail. No matter how many rounds you fired with it without a problem, no matter the brand of pistol, no matter how reliable it has been in the past, always be mentally ready in case the very next round fails. It is good to spend time looking at the magazines; spring condition, follower action, etc. More malfunctions are caused by magazines than the pistol. No matter how reliable the pistol and magazine are the next round could be bad and no way you can tell before trying to shoot the round. To prepare for that when you go to the range to do defensive pistol training, load your magazines with plastic dummy rounds mixed in and do it often. The dummies will cause failures and soon you will be clearing stoppages without even thinking about it. This will have you better prepared for that stoppage that may happen at the wrong time. We all want a 100% reliable pistol, magazine, and ammo combination but that is not reality--sooner or later, it will stop. Just my 2 cents.
    For the win.

Brilliant advice from a good source.
    The

(Butler County)

I don't see it as number of rounds to detemine reliability. If there's a problem from the factory you'll know within a few rounds. If it a problem that appears after usage who knows how many rounds that will take. I decide to carry a gun when I'm comfortable with all aspects of using the gun to defend myself.

(Erie County)

When I find a suitable carry round that will function for a couple hundred rounds without issue. I've had a number of pistols that never balked in multiple thousands of rounds and others that were ammo sensitive. I've had 7 1911s in the last 20+ years and all of them had some ammo preferences. Feed them what they liked and they were as reliable as anything I've owned.

In the first 200-250 rounds 2 or 3 FTF or FTE after that I expect zero when it comes to a Defensive Gun that I want to carry to Protect my life if needed.
    Thats why I am so impressed with cheaply made but reliable Kel Tec PT11 after the 1st 100 rounds I've never had a failure.

That is why I'm so impressed with Beretta and even Glock the 92/96 will fire anything you feed it very reliable and the Px4, Cougar, Glock21, G23, and G19 will fire anything up to factory spec. Most 1911s after break in are pretty reliable.

For CC or HD gun I have Zero tolerance as far reliability, after break in .

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    How many failure free rounds do you fire out of a gun before you carry it? What is your procedure to get ready to carry a gun?

Lol OP, this is like a a big stick and an even bigger hornets nest...

My opinion? Say it with me; re-vol-ver. Like the Beatles album. That being said I still shoot a bunch of carry ammo out of my revolver. Mostly to familiarize with the +p stuff.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Luzerne County)

I don't think the revolver has to be broken in. I think the right ammo for the revolver has to be found. So, I pick a few different types and see what the particular revolver likes to eat!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast