Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default What if I want to JUST buy a barrel...

...for a Taurus PT99, in stainless?

Where would I look? I am having a very difficult time finding just a stainless barrel.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: What if I want to JUST buy a barrel...

I heard the PPD has a safe full of them they took off people who felt they didn't need guns anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Chester County)

The source maybe? www.taurususa.com

If the barrel requires fitting the OEM may not sell them separately. At least that is Sig's policy and I believe that it is born of liability concerns. If it is a drop-in then the OEM, most likely does sell them separately. If it's a fitted barrel, check aftermarket sources like BarSto or EFK. I think it's going to be tough for a Taurus. JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    If the barrel requires fitting the OEM may not sell them separately. At least that is Sig's policy and I believe that it is born of liability concerns. If it is a drop-in then the OEM, most likely does sell them separately. If it's a fitted barrel, check aftermarket sources like BarSto or EFK. I think it's going to be tough for a Taurus. JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza bob

Once again, Pizza Bob, with the most helpful of posts. . What he said.

Unfortunately for the price of a barrel from an aftermarket company like Barsto or EFK you'd be looking at $100 bare minimum, probably a fair bit more. You might be better off looking for another gun that has a good barrel but nothing else working... Pop an add in the classifieds, if you haven't already, you never know. I have an XD with a ported barrel and wanted to find a non-ported barrel. I thought it was a long shot but I put an ad up and a day later a guy who didn't need his barrel PM'ed me. Crazier shit has happened.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cumberland County)

Here ya go, I did the legwork for you; www.efkfiredragon.com/products.php?cat=39

$154. They are currently out of stock, but I'd give them a call and ask what kinda wait time your looking at.

Their website states that the barrel is compatible with the 92fs, and a few other Beretta models as well as the PT99 and a few other Taurus models. Logically you could look for a Beretta 92fs barrel, which would be much easier to find, BUT I am not an expert, and have no knowledge on the differences between the 92fs and the Tauri clones of it. They may well be identical, I can't tell you for sure. Find that out and you'll be on your way.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I heard the PPD has a safe full of them they took off people who felt they didn't need guns anymore
    That's cold blooded.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post

Adios,

Pizza bob
    I agree that a Taurus barrel might be tough to come by, but as far as Sig barrels (most of the big name mfg.'s actually), you can definitely buy them separately - Usually through retailers, but sometimes even directly through the mfg. And in classic P-series, the barrel should in fact be a drop-in part, IME anyhow...

If the gun is a fairly popular model, you shouldn't have too much trouble tracking down a factory barrel for it (I have even been able to find places stocking factory HK P7 barrels - Not that I own the hydraulic press required to install one, but still).

Even out of production models usually have some factory replacement barrel option available. I bought a new Sig P225 barrel from Top Gun Supply a few months back for my 1983-vintage P225 (which came w/ the older style feed ramp known for spotty HP feeding).

If I can find a similar source for Taurus barrels, I will link it here.

Regards,

Bones

ETA - Does anyone know if the Beretta 92 barrel will simply drop into the Taurus PT99?
    Last edited by JoeyBones; September 3rd, 2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added info