Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default What would you have changed?

OK, so alot of us either grew up with firearms, or have experience with firearms, and talk about some of the good decisions that we made, now that we know. For the sake of some of the new people who may not know alot about firearms, and are using this site as a reference, can we discuss some of the guns we bought, in the beginning, and wish we hadn't, and what you would have bought instead, knowing what you know now.

My first handgun that I ever purchased was a Desert Eagle .44 Mag, because of a stupid movie. Great firing gun, smooth as newly cleaned ice, but totally useless, except at the range. What was I thinking, and where did I plan to take that big thing? Especially since I knew better, and carried a Beretta 92F for work. Pure case of, young and stupid. Bought a Glock as a second handgun, so I must have learned something!

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Bucks County)

Default Re: What would you have changed?

My first ever gun was a G30. Not really a bad choice, all in all. But the gun I bought shortly after that was a G27, which was a mistake for a novice: small gun with too much recoil. It ended up inducing flinching problems that took a long time to undo.

Other than that, I don't regret any of the guns I bought and sold as experiments.

(Montgomery County)

I wouldn't have changed a thing.

My first handgun was a Springfield XD .40 4", and I'm very happy with the decision. In fact, I love it. I'd like to purchase something a little smaller, though, for warmer weather. I'm thinking something along the lines of a Kel-Tec PF-9.

Proud member of:

(Snyder County)

My only regret was I wished I would have spent more money on guns and less on stupid stuff. Then I wouldn't be pinching my budget trying to save up for the next family addition.

My first pistol was a Taurus Tracker .22 revolver. I think it was a great first handgun. It is fairly large and easy to shoot. It was a nice first step into handguns. My second handgun was my XD40. Again, I think this was a good progression. It is a nice shooting handgun and I love it!

Consequently, these are also the steps that my wife has taken with shooting. She loves shooting both my guns now. But I think if I had gotten a .44 mag first and let her shoot that, she would be scared for awhile.

So my advice is start small. Even if you have been around guns, for your own purchases, start small.

I didn't get into hunting rifles because some of those were presents.

(Chester County)

I bought a Kel-Tec P32, back in 2000, without researching them first (I was just going off of the gun rag reviews). What a piece of shit that turned out to be. Ditto with a PM9. Prior to buying those, I'd only owned two handguns -- a S&W 3914 and a Glock 26, both of which were flawless in function.

I learned four useful lessons:

First, don't buy a new gun design without waiting a year or two to see what problems crop up.

Second, don't buy simply based on reviews in a gun magazines, articles critical of potential advertisers don't get published. Do your own research, talk to people who have owned (and extensively shot) the gun you're looking at.

Third, buy only from companies with a long or especially solid (if they're new) track record.

Fourth, if you're looking for perfect reliability in a super-small carry piece, you need to buy a revolver. I know people go back and forth about which is a better idea, and every proponent of the small auto will say "Well, I've never had any problems with my *insert model here*." They got lucky -- I've never, in the dozens on dozens of handguns I've owned (and hundreds I've shot) ever seen a pocket auto that was perfect every time. "Oh, it only FTE'd because you didn't lock your wrist, and you're using range ammo, and the gun was dirty, it's normally 100% reliable" won't mean a thing to you if you have to use it and it doesn't work, because you'll be dead. I have never, ever, seen a S&W j-frame revolver not work. Period. If you need a backup or pocket piece, save yourself the money, time, and bullshit of messing around with small autos. Buy a revolver and learn to shoot it.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Berks County)

OK, I'll really step back in time. My first handgun was a Llama Large Frame 9mm. Nice enough firearm for the time back in 1981 but if I had it to do over again and I wanted to stay with 9mm I'd have spent the extra and bought a BHP. I no longer have that 9 however I do still have one in .45 and it isn't too bad a firearm but probably my only true safe queen at this point in time.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Allegheny County)

Hmmm...
    I'm not much of an impulse buyer. I research everything I purchase to some extent beforehand.
    Each of my firearms was purchased for a specific task and I can't say that I regret any of the purchases. I've been very fortunate, considering I never fired any of them(Except the G19)before purchasing... that is one thing I would suggest to anyone who is able to do so... TRY it before you buy.

We're very fortunate here, in that we've been holding these group shoots in Pittsburgh. In addition to meeting other forum members, we've been able to share and try all types of firearms we may never have been able to, or even considered before. Honestly, if you live within driving distance, you're missing out on a great opportunity that doesn't present itself to very many people. Just last weekend,(not at a group shoot)I tried out a CZ 9mm and began to think "Hmmm... maybe I should consider a full-size auto?"

It really is better to SHOOT them, but even if you can't, the next best thing is to at least handle them before deciding you want something because it looks good on a website.

OK, after thinking about it some more, the one thing I wish I had considered was a Kel Tec Sub 2000...

before I picked up my Hi Point 995 carbine...

...because the Sub 2000, although equally ugly, would have accepted my Glock magazines. (The Hi Point mags are only available in 10 rd)

I could have had a setup like this...

Of course, the Sub 2000 is priced higher and at the time, I wasn't able to afford it even if I had considered the magazine interchangeability issue.
    Just thought it's something to point out to someone who may be considering a HP carbine who already owns a Glock since that's the point of this thread.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

I bought right and I am still happy with my collection! However, I did sell one gun I wish I wouldn't have...8" Stainless Colt Anaconda .44 mag! What was I thinking? No more selling guns for me! I also wish I would have shot more when I was younger...ya know, time spent with Grandpap!

PS...I'd still like to have a DE!! Nuttin' wrong with that...LOL

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Jefferson County)

Being my first handgun that I purchased at 19yo was my uncle's Colt Python - I dont think I could have picked anything better. lol

Second handgun was another story.. a S&W 459 9mm.. You couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside.... even if you threw the gun itself at the wall. That gun left a bad taste in my mouth for semi-autos for many years.

My rifles and shotguns though:
    The first(and last) bolt deer gun I purchased.. A Win or Ruger Featherweight in 270Win. I learned then that a lightweight rifle will give you scope eye when laying prone shooting groundhog. My only interest now in bolt guns is for historical or collector value.

Shotgun(s)... as much as I love NEF/H&R firearms, it was a mistake for me to buy a 12, 20, and 410(yes all three at 16yo) instead of saving another $50 and picking up a really nice shaped LC Smith that was worth twice what a guy was asking.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Fayette County)

I have only owned one handgun and I am transferring it tomorrow. I am sure I will regret selling it as it is a great shooter. I am just not in the financial situation right to buy what I want without selling this one first. It is a Ruger Blackhawk .357 and I bought it about 5 years ago.

I have had many rifles and shotguns though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast