Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: S&W 442 or 637

Question S&W 442 or 637

Anyone out their have a S&W 442 or a 637? How do they shoot?? Thinking of getting one.
    "343" Never Forgotten

Default Re: S&W 442 or 637

I enjoy my 637. It shoots remarkably well. Best $330 I ever spent....wait....yup
    FUCK BIDEN

Either one of those will serve you just fine if you are looking for a BUG. Neither one of them are particularly fun to shoot, but that is not what they are built for either. Both are small, reliable, and easily concealed. Between those 2 different models, I would personally chose the 442, because the internal hammer makes it easier for me to carry, and there is less likely of a chance it getting snagged on to something should I ever have to fire from inside a coat pocket or some other type of clothing. Hope this helps.

(Franklin County)

I agree, a 442 is probably much more practical for concealed carry because of the reasons already listed and also because of it's color. IMO, black is preferable from a concealment standpoint than the more flashy stainless.

That being said, I intend to buy a 637 one of these days. I enjoy the classic styling of a hammered revolver and I think we can all agree that hammerless DAO revolvers are hideously ugly. Plus I like having the option to manually cock the hammer for a nice light single-action trigger pull. I realize however that aside from at the range, it is quite likely that most people wouldn't have time to manually cock the hammer if SHTF and the weapon needed to be used in a self-defensive scenario.

(Chester County)

442, definitely.

I can't think of a reason why I'd need the ability to cock a revolver in a self defense situation. And I don't like the snag potential, or the extra holes for attracting lint that the 637 presents.

That said, you can't go wrong with either -- they're awesome little guns.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Pike County)

442, got one about 8 months ago, and it's great. I like it for crossdraw in the car for longer trips. I also have a 36, and not having the hammer snag on clothing is a big bonus.

(Adams County)

I have the 442. Rides in the front pocket perfectly with a Mika holster. Shoots fine at appropriate SD ranges (I practice at 5-8 yards). It can be a handful with +P's but nothing uncontrollable.

I considered the 637 but like other posters here, I just didn't see the need for hammer access and the hole might let in pocket lint.